Wife threatened while driving her Volt

This is a discussion on Wife threatened while driving her Volt within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm I'm defending the position of responding appropriately to legitimate threat, nothing more. I'm merely pointing out that responding inappropriately to imagined ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Wife threatened while driving her Volt

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'm defending the position of responding appropriately to legitimate threat, nothing more. I'm merely pointing out that responding inappropriately to imagined threats go too far. Unknown what specific response was or wasn't justified on the instant of that one specific situation, as I wasn't there. But the mere fact the person didn't do much responding at all is fairly telling, in this sense.
    According to the OP, they were screaming at her, for some distance, at highway speeds. That has never happened to me but I imagine it would scare me. Not enough to draw, and hopefully not enough to become distracted enough to crash. But it certainly would affect some people like that. She felt threatened enough that she mentally fast-forwarded thru her options if things escalated and wondered if/when her firearm might be appropriate protection.

Maybe they didnt do more because she didnt react to them. However it was certainly her 1A right to respond if she chose. Which could escalate everything...and hence...consequences. Yup, you can exercise that right...but you may have to pay some high consequences. Those Azzwipes doing the screaming...to a mom with kids in the car who DOES get frightened and distracted? OK, keep defending them.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Formerly OKC, OK; Currently Karlsruhe, Germany
    Well, according to some of the posts here, i have to rethink my worst case scenario. Apparently, being followed by a bad guy while being yelled at and being threatened now falls under the first amentmend and all i have to do to deal with those kinds of situations, is to suck it up and not even think about how i might have to use my gun. Only if the threat becomes serious (aka: if bullets start to fly into my direction) i am allowed to defend myself. Good to know...
    Regards, Mike

The german american, now living in Germany, but surely missing home!

The first thing I'd suggest is get her a gun in a caliber that is more effective than a .380. At least a .38 Special or 9mm. Think about a worst case scenario of an attacker: e.g. a 250-300+lb. attacker tweaking on Methamphetamines or PCP coming at her. How
    effective do you think a .380 is going to be in that situation? Even if your wife has relatively small hands, she should be able to handle one of Kahr's, Kel-Tec's or Sig's 9mm offerings in a small frame semi-auto or a J-Frame sized .38 Special.
    Aphdmansoc likes this.

VIP Member
    The whole thing reminds me of a road rage, not fueled by how someone drove, but fueled by WHAT they drove.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I was confronted at a gas station when I pulled in with my Dodge diesel. Some guy walks up to me and says, I don't know why anyone would drive a noisy smelly truck like yours ? I just laughed at him and he went away!

Rich

I had trucker try to run me off the road a couple days ago...now that's assault with a REALLY BIG dangerous weapon. By law, I wonder what self defense options were available to me... However, I wasn't driving a Volt.

This guy sound like he needs some anger management if a Volt is setting him off. By the way, how do you guys like that car?

I'm hoping that my next car will be an electric car. Hopefully there will be some type of tech-curve akin to what we've seen elsewhere, and so the electric cars will get progressively better in a way that gasoline-powered cars no longer do. I expect another 8 or so years out of my Toyota, and that's a decent amount of time if we're living in technologically progressive times.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    The whole thing reminds me of a road rage, not fueled by how someone drove, but fueled by WHAT they drove.
    Since the speed was reported as 70MPH, I am assuming it was a divided highway. I wonder if the road rage was fueled by the VOLT being in the left lane, holding up faster traffic.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

Maybe off topic......?

Quote Originally Posted by KyTopGun View Post
    Since the speed was reported as 70MPH, I am assuming it was a divided highway. I wonder if the road rage was fueled by the VOLT being in the left lane, holding up faster traffic.
    Hmmm. I sure hope she wasn't one of those dangerously passive-aggressive drivers who either think its their job to police the speed limit or are clueless about basic driver safety.

It's strange that in the country built upon the auto industry the notion of "lane discipline" (keeping right when being overtaken) is almost totally unknown. If we just enforced lane discipline and the basic speed law, we could get rid of posted speed limits in most places. Of course, we do live in a nation of rules created to stop people from thinking for themselves.
    ep1953 likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Yes, people do like rules and society needs certain rules.

People don't usually fight over rules. They fight when there's a lack of rules.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by kante View Post
    Well, according to some of the posts here, i have to rethink my worst case scenario. Apparently, being followed by a bad guy while being yelled at and being threatened now falls under the first amentmend and all i have to do to deal with those kinds of situations, is to suck it up and not even think about how i might have to use my gun. Only if the threat becomes serious (aka: if bullets start to fly into my direction) i am allowed to defend myself. Good to know...
    Being threatening most definitely does not fall under the 1A protections.

But the simple fact is, mere words don't themselves rise to the level of threat until the gravity of those words becomes credible enough and severe enough to put people at serious risk of impending damage. Merely screaming doesn't do it; nor does merely howling about one's car or haircut or whatever.

Still, on the instant of things occurring, how to respond (if at all) is basically in our hands as citizens. We have the authority and the right to deal with things as they arise, but we've also got the responsibility to do so reasonably. The limiting factor is, really, that our peers get to determine the reasonableness afterward, and often the statutes specifically disallow certain circumstances from being part of any claim of self-defense.

If you're still dithering about when it is or isn't lawful to halt an assault against you that hasn't arisen to the point of threat, then you really need to dig more deeply into your state's statutes, and think hard about what you're prepared to lose if you muff the call.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Are you sure they weren't asking... "That got a HEMI in it?"

No...? Okay. Just checkin'. It's Texas, after all.

It's a GM car...it's gotOn Star. Push the little blue button on the rearview mirror... Get help.

Drive slower and wait... LEOs love to help a damsel in distress. 'Specially Texas Rangers, just ask Chuck Norris.

I didn't think of on star. I would believe it to be like a cell phone and they can't ignore a 911 distress call even if you don't pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Once again, missing the poor judgement and large fast moving vehicles. Accidents happen in an instant. And it's not 'just words.' You can go to jail for certain threats, lets not be dishonest here.

She could have felt legitimately threatened...and did. A man approaching a woman on foot, threatening assault....she has a legitimate basis to defend herself (I didnt say with lethal force). Same here....idiots showing poor judgement driving lethal weapons.

Again, not an impressive position you are defending....and not even accurate in some...perhaps hers...circumstances.
    I obviously disagree with you. You seem hung up on the "driving" , but there is the fact they are "driving" is not either a threat nor a danger in itself.. You are arguing a losing argument. You have got to be kidding ...... because they were yelling out of moving vehicle means absolutely NOTHING ......

It doesn't matter what she "FELT" ............. it has to have some basis in REALITY .... and it's just not there. If she would have brandished and introduced a gun into this situation, and they called 911, she would have probably gotten a big dose of reality. If I was on a jury.... she would be found guilty of either brandishing or assault with a deadly weapon........ there was no justification they were threatening her life. The LAW does not protect you purely based upon how you FELT about anything......

Carrying a "gun" is not there .... to solve all of the issues, problems, confrontations, arguments, or anything else you have in life. It's for protecting yourself IF (BIG IF ) someone is actually attempting to take your life and/or threatening to take your life and have the means to do so, and their actions support that conclusion. Anything less than that..... you may need to learn to love prison life.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Yeah, yelling is probably not something that you can easily use the law to deal with. If they'd served towards her, then the assault tort kicks in.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Yes, people do like rules and society needs certain rules.

People don't usually fight over rules. They fight when there's a lack of rules.
    Really? What was the American Revolution or the Civil War, or any other war, including the war on drugs about? I would think it was about the rules and who made them.
    Personally, I'd argue that if a rule cannot be logically defended to be in every sane person's best interest it is probably not a very good rule.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links