Wife threatened while driving her Volt - Page 8

Wife threatened while driving her Volt

This is a discussion on Wife threatened while driving her Volt within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow.. I can't believe this thread is still going. Let me chime in on some of the things I'm reading here. First of all, my ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Wife threatened while driving her Volt

Wow.. I can't believe this thread is still going.

Let me chime in on some of the things I'm reading here.

First of all, my Wife (much to my displeasure) drives very fast and has had her share of speeding tickets. You would never, ever see her holding up traffic. So you can rule that out as a cause for the jerk's behavior towards her. Now, I always drive the speed limit and sometimes even a little less. But I tend to stay in the right hand lane and go the speed of traffic in that lane. In fact, there have been at least two incidents where she was yelled at for driving crazy. In fact, I haven't ruled out that this may have been what precipitated this most recent incident, even though she claims nothing happened this time. In fact letting her have a Volt might have been a mistake because (despite what some people here are saying) it is a pretty darned fast vehicle and it has this "instant torque" that you just don't get from a gasoline vehicle that can become addicting.

However - no matter what started the incident it should be pointed out that these people weren't simply "yelling at her" in a manner that would fall under 1st amendment rights. First of all, she said she couldn't hear most of what they were saying. So how is she to know if they are threatening to kill her or what? The second thing, and possibly the most important part, is they were following her. She tried changing lanes, speeding up, slowing down, and they would stay right with her. She said that she felt like they might even be trying to run her off of the road because of how close they were getting. Now, lets put this in a different situation. What if a woman was walking down the side walk and a group of men were doing the same thing on foot? Does that change the dynamic of the situation? At what point is it free speech or threatening/harassing?

And for the person who is angered about their tax money being spent to buy our car - I'd like to point out that it is a tax deduction much like when we deduct our children's daycare expenses. It just means we're paying less tax on the money we've earned. The only thing your tax money paid for was a loan that was used to further the development. And considering the amount of MY TAX MONEY that is spent propping up foreign governments, fighting wars to protect our oil interests, building pipelines, and subsidizing oil companies - I think it is only fair that the government spend a little money to encourage an alternative. The money spend on my Volt is a drop in the bucket compared to the money spent subsidizing your supply of oil and gasoline. And despite lies you hear in the media about Volts costing the taxpayer $75,000 per vehicle or some junk like that, it is not true. The volt is actually making a (small) profit for GM unless you throw in the development costs which was money well spent being it will redefine the future of GM and the automotive industry of the future.

Also for the person saying my wife needs more than a .380, I suppose that is covered by at least 100 other threads running on this forum. Needless to say I had her try and buy several different guns over the years and she likes the SIG P238 and refuses to carry anything else. I'm just glad she's carrying something and I'm not going to press the matter with her. I actually carry a small .32 caliber with me most of the time these days, so I have even less firepower than she does.
    9MMare and kante like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Even though I pretty much detest government and our tax code, I'm cool with all of it, and your wife sounds like my kind of girl. Just crazy enough to stay interesting.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post

And for the person who is angered about their tax money being spent to buy our car - I'd like to point out that it is a tax deduction much like when we deduct our children's daycare expenses. It just means we're paying less tax on the money we've earned. The only thing your tax money paid for was a loan that was used to further the development. And considering the amount of MY TAX MONEY that is spent propping up foreign governments, fighting wars to protect our oil interests, building pipelines, and subsidizing oil companies - I think it is only fair that the government spend a little money to encourage an alternative. The money spend on my Volt is a drop in the bucket compared to the money spent subsidizing your supply of oil and gasoline. And despite lies you hear in the media about Volts costing the taxpayer $75,000 per vehicle or some junk like that, it is not true. The volt is actually making a (small) profit for GM unless you throw in the development costs which was money well spent being it will redefine the future of GM and the automotive industry of the future.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!:blink How does the old saying go? "Let a man talk long enough and you will find out what he really feels. :..........propping up foreign Governments...............protecting oil interests..............building pipelines......................redefine GM of the future.

Don't know about anyone else but that paragraph said a WHOLE lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I obviously disagree with you. You seem hung up on the "driving" , but there is the fact they are "driving" is not either a threat nor a danger in itself.. You are arguing a losing argument. You have got to be kidding ...... because they were yelling out of moving vehicle means absolutely NOTHING ......

It doesn't matter what she "FELT" ............. it has to have some basis in REALITY .... and it's just not there. If she would have brandished and introduced a gun into this situation, and they called 911, she would have probably gotten a big dose of reality. If I was on a jury.... she would be found guilty of either brandishing or assault with a deadly weapon........ there was no justification they were threatening her life. The LAW does not protect you purely based upon how you FELT about anything......

Carrying a "gun" is not there .... to solve all of the issues, problems, confrontations, arguments, or anything else you have in life. It's for protecting yourself IF (BIG IF ) someone is actually attempting to take your life and/or threatening to take your life and have the means to do so, and their actions support that conclusion. Anything less than that..... you may need to learn to love prison life.
    Well I pointed out the dangers, very specifically to you and CCW9MM. And how they...screaming and speeding...can add up to legitimate threats. Even lethal threats...that truck is a lethal weapon in the wrong hands....like morons screaming and showing anger issues and poor judgement. While in this case I didnt see a firearm as the answer....SHE FELT threatened and came looking for the way to handle it. I dont doubt it was scary.

(And road rage as a charge is pretty well documented...so that is recognized as a real threat. If a cop had been following them...do you think he would have pulled them over and charged them with reckless driving? Road rage? Reckless endangerment? I think there's a good chance.)

You are right, we disagree.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    Really? What was the American Revolution or the Civil War, or any other war, including the war on drugs about? I would think it was about the rules and who made them.
    Personally, I'd argue that if a rule cannot be logically defended to be in every sane person's best interest it is probably not a very good rule.
    NO rule or law is in every sane person's best interest. There always are exceptions. Even the law against
    stealing bread; in rare instances it is morally right. (Les Miserables) Don't speed? There are necessary exceptions.
    Don't hog the left lane? There are plenty of times when someone finds themselves in a left lane going a tad slow
    in anticipation of a left exit off the highway.

There is however NO sane person ( or mature person) who would yell at a third party stranger about the
    type of vehicle they are driving. At best those were dumb kids thinking it was funny. At worst, well we don't know
    because the worst scenario possible never occurred.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

"Just dumb kids" is a good bet in the vast majority of cases. I mean, this is DefensiveCarry, so we discuss the alternates, but it's still the most common explanation for questionable circumstances.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    NO rule or law is in every sane person's best interest. There always are exceptions. Even the law against
    stealing bread; in rare instances it is morally right. (Les Miserables) Don't speed? There are necessary exceptions.
    Don't hog the left lane? There are plenty of times when someone finds themselves in a left lane going a tad slow
    in anticipation of a left exit off the highway.

There is however NO sane person ( or mature person) who would yell at a third party stranger about the
    type of vehicle they are driving. At best those were dumb kids thinking it was funny. At worst, well we don't know
    because the worst scenario possible never occurred.
    The fact that a rule or law has mitigating circumstances does not deny its logic. A rule with no logical basis is the certain evidence of hubris.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

While I have not had anyone follow me to that extent. I have had a group of teens block me in while driving. Staying in front of me and slowing down, speeding up, cutting me off when attempting to pass. This went on for about 5 miles. I waited for an exit and quickly dropped off the ramp at the last second. Drove to a gas station and waited for my head to clear before going back on the road. Very nerve racking.

Glad she is ok.

So... you carry a .32 caliber, your wife carries a .380 and drives a Volt........ and you post a thread that's gone an amazing amount of pages now, and then are still rationalizing to everyone why are your choices are your choices ? Are you joking ? You posted it, and opened it to opinions, then complain (indirectly) when they don't agree with yours ?

Amazing.

I'll save a lot of time.... I don't agree with about any of the assumptions that you use for any of your arguments. But hey, that's just me and my opinion. You are entitled to yours. But the old saying is , "Don't ask a question, unless you are really ready for the answer".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

In counterpoint, I think a .380 and a Volt are perfectly fine choices.

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I have an old friend, who used to be a regular patrolman in Portland, who once in the line of duty, looked down the business end of a .22. He related that although he knew it was only a 22, it looked a heck of a lot bigger as it was pointed at his face. My point here is that the actual stopping power of the .380 isn't all that hot--its better than wishing you had anything.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

If it's what she wants to carry, then that's probably the most important factor. The first goal is to have something that is likely to be on you when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    Get her a big bumper sticker that says "I'm saving my gas money to buy more ammo"
    My bumper sticker would say " I USED the money I saved to buy my Glock 45,, want to SEE IT,,, KEEP IT UP"

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links