Video: Rob Pincus - Lethal Force: Should do vs Could do

This is a discussion on Video: Rob Pincus - Lethal Force: Should do vs Could do within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think Rob makes some very valid points. Discuss....

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By fastk9dad
  • 1 Post By OPFOR
  • 1 Post By nedrgr21

Thread: Video: Rob Pincus - Lethal Force: Should do vs Could do

Distinguished Member

I think Rob makes some very valid points. Discuss.
    Drgnfly, Alex_C and wmhawth like this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    This has been my position for a long time. If I am not required by my job/duty to enter "the fray," I am going to make every reasonable effort to avoid it. Not only are these suggestions better for your physical health/safety, they are excellent steps to take for your emotional and financial well-being as well.
    wmhawth likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

A good video to watch.

Exellent, common sense recommendations. Firing your weapon should always be your LAST resort.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Excellent video.

I agree with the concept, but think that was a bad example. Once the guy with an axe gets through the solid front door, he'll go through interior doors like butter - if the cops haven't stopped him before entering, they won't stop him before getting through an interior door. Either way there's the issue of shooting someone to deal with and he got to terrorize the occupants that much longer before identical outcomes were realized. He's not coming in. Also, I'm staying inside the home with known barricades/locks/lightng/killboxes/etc vs running outside to possibly deal with other attackers in an open and dark environment where they have the possible initial advantage of cover/concealment. While a gun should be a last resort, sometimes it's the only one and running isn't always a first resort.
    RAL likes this.

VIP Member
    There are certainly situations where retreat/disengagement are preferable alternatives, but his axe-at-the-door scenario is a horrible example with which to drive home that point.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I agree with the concept, but think that was a bad example. Once the guy with an axe gets through the solid front door, he'll go through interior doors like butter
    While watching the video this remark reminded me of the law in NC, that is still on the books and is supposedly stronger from a legal standpoint, that you can shoot to PREVENT someone's entry. Until the state had CD, you were required to retreat once they had entered. It struck me as kind of backwards, especially since I think the video makes sense.

Sent via that forum app

It's good to think about such scenarios but I'm not running outside or in front of any windows if I can avoid it. I will put myself in the strongest defensible position inside my house (time permitting). Imminent and unavoidable is my one rule of thumb and I will be second guessed no matter what.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Exellent, common sense recommendations. Firing your weapon should always be your LAST resort.
    The problem with "Last Resort" is knowing (when) that moment arrives.

That (Moment) can be the difference between life & death.

It is well established most of us will never have to fire our weapon to defend ourselves. When and if that moment does come, the adrenaline is pumping to the max.
    Looking for escape routes, looking after loved ones while accessing the threat level will be difficult at best.

Some scenarios are obvious..some are not.

At night, someone attempting to come thru my door; there is absolutely no way I'm retreating to a back door and seeking to get outside while I try to call police on my cell phone.
    Geeze! For all I know the BG has an accomplice outside.

Every situation is dynamic. Addressing each is a difficult undertaking and will eventually come down to a personal decision based on limited data and a very short time to filter it.

Personally, if someone enters my home at night..I will let them steal anything they want while I wait crouched in the corner of my bed room with my weapon and a call going to the police.
    If they attempt to open my door and enter my room, it will be the last thing they remember. This is my choice in such a scenario..I will not stalk the intruder as they move thru my home.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Sponsored Links