Curious... is there ever a time to draw, but not fire? - Page 3

Curious... is there ever a time to draw, but not fire?

This is a discussion on Curious... is there ever a time to draw, but not fire? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the "only" time I"ve drawn a handgun without the intent to immediately use it, is when clearing a house . LOL I don't draw until ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Curious... is there ever a time to draw, but not fire?

the "only" time I"ve drawn a handgun without the intent to immediately use it, is when clearing a house . LOL

I don't draw until I"m sure I need it and I plan to use it. I may have my hand on it, but it hasn't come out of the holster unless I do plan to use it. But, if the threat ceased or changed in that brief moment.... I wouldn't fire it.

I sure won't pull a gun to intimidate, threaten, warn, etc. ...... that's not what it's there for.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I recently read an article in a local forum about a women you drew a firearm on a man exposing himself to her and her son and said if he did not stop/or moved any closer she would shoot him. Now I played devils advocate on the forum and said did she really have the right to and was toasted a little but. I know in NY cases of rape warrant deadly force but he was away from her sitting on a park bench do a lude act. Im not really sure personally if that justified drawing your weapon and verbally threatening the assailant but I was not there, and the police and other forum members thought it was justified as she was not charged with anything. She held him I believe till the cops got there.

People said due his "craziness" it was warranted but i dont know if Id do that. Alot of personal boundaries in your questions. eveveryone is different and every situation is difference to each person.

but I thought Id Share it.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    And as to your first comment about an unarmed assailant having shown no weapon, but being aggressive and meaning to do harm, I would have trouble with it. I completely agree he may be armed and whether he is or not, the fact he is threatening me in such a way I feel my life is in danger, I would like to fire. However, look at the Trayvon Martin case... unarmed, and as far as the evidence goes so far he had Zimmerman knocked to the ground and was beating him from above, yet look where Zimmerman is today. Unfortunate, if no new evidence turns up showing more of Trayvon's innocence.
    Zimmerman called the police before the confrontation. Being a neighborhood watch guy, he was not supposed to be armed. Both of these conditions show a certain amount of intent on the part of Zimmerman. Had Trayvon jumped him as he was walking in the neighborhood minding his own business, with no call to the police beforehand and with the lack of credible witnesses, I believe Zim. would have walked in that he was being beaten and in fear of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    Is there ever a time to draw, but not fire?
    A: Artclass
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

I look at this as being fairly complicated yet pretty simple at the same time. If you are in court and having to present your case to the jury that you drew your weapon in self defense but didn't use it, you are probably tasked with proving that the draw was warranted in the first place but within X seconds or fractions of a second, you believed that the threat had diminished so you didn't feel the need to stop it.

I think it would all boil down to what a reasonable person, (jury) would view as a clear and reasonable threat and how one would normally act given the amount of time involved in the event. In other words, when the weapon was drawn, was this person reasonable in doing so? If so then it shouldn't matter if the shot was taken or not. If the situation ended with a real threat turning into a yielding attacker then it ended well. IANAL but those are my thoughts and don't really see a definitive right or wrong answer.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

This is where I think the two guys in the parking lot/garage is an excellent example. They have clearly demonstrated their mal-intentions. If you don't do something, an attack is imminent. In the process of drawing to better prepare yourself for said attack, you are also communicating that you are not an easy mark. At the same time the O and J are present and A is in the process of being set up. If they continue to press the attack, you can be reasonably certain they are prepared for and probably with deadly force. The display of a weapon is both a deterrent and a preparation for a situation that means justified use (due to disparity of force from multiple assailants approaching at angles to flank you).
    This example clearly demonstrates the difference between brandishing as a crime and legitimate display.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    This is interesting, I guess I hadn't rhought about announcing your armed.
    I don't have the URL to the thread but, either here or on my local gun forum, there was a post which was fantastic about Situational Awareness and it had a title with Street in the title (about when you are out in public). The person who wrote the article had suggested (and I believe he was either a LEO or a former LEO) that you do NOT announce that you have a gun. That'll only panic the sheep around you. What you can say, loud enough for the person approaching to hear, "I do NOT have a gun, while having your hand on it." To others that will just sound quite strange. But to the BG it will likely get the point across that you, in fact, really DO have a gun.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Well, I've personally witnessed over the years working in Newark.......LEO's draw their handguns and hold them at their side / leg prior to an incident.......is there a technical name for this position....?
    The technical name is "Covert Ready"...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Drawing a weapon as a LEO can be considered constructive authority on use of force continuum, like command voice.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Sure: when the dire threat ceases after having merely drawn the gun. Seems clear that firing beyond that point becomes unwarranted and unjustifiable. It might very well be the shot that "kills" you, legally speaking.

My view: that I'd better not draw unless I am prepared to have to fire if need be. Big, big difference.

The whole point is to stop the deadly threat against us. Once that threat has evaporated, it's hard to argue that there's any continuing justification to shoot a person. At that point, it becomes retribution, not stopping the threat. And I can't think of any statute in any state that allows one to do that, no matter how "chemical-dumped" or angry we happen to be.
    +1 to this

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    Ok, I know most of us are not LEOs but I notice on the "COPS" episodes that the LEO will draw their weapon when approaching a percived dangerous situation. I would think it would be better to have your weapon in hand, but out of sight and then putting it away if the threat goes away...
    What LEOs can and do do is VERY often different from what ordinary citizens can or should do.
    mulle46 likes this.

If I am in a situation where I feel the need to draw my weapon, it's a pretty serious situation. I draw with the intent of firing if it becomes necessary. Now, if the BG turns tail and runs, so much the better, but if I need to draw I would be prepared to fire.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    For the best explanation of drawing a gun and fire or not it a situation is in page 4, #48. A quote I posted from CR Williams.

On Killing (or not killing)
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

42 posts devoted to a question with an obvious answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    42 posts devoted to a question with an obvious answer...
    Obvious only to some. There are many lulled by the sweet sounds of the myth that drawing=firing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links