Home invasion using a shotgun in a small town where I live. - Page 2

Home invasion using a shotgun in a small town where I live.

This is a discussion on Home invasion using a shotgun in a small town where I live. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I could introduce those two BGs to my lawyer, Mr. Al Ligator, who resides in the canal behind my house. The neighbors would have no ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Home invasion using a shotgun in a small town where I live.

  1. #16
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,427
    I could introduce those two BGs to my lawyer, Mr. Al Ligator, who resides in the canal behind my house. The neighbors would have no objections.
    Lish and oldnfat like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield


  2. #17
    Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Florida's Space Coast.
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimshooter View Post
    Please tell me you've trained the parrot to say "stop or I'll shoot!" ;)
    Unfortunately he only squawks loudly. We call him our watch-parrot. If his cage is open he will fly and draw blood from any stranger and sometimes family.

  3. #18
    Senior Member Array Cold Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Just another example of how easy it is to shear sheep.
    lame post

  4. #19
    Member Array nhcruffler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    86
    A layered defense is definitely the best. A dog is great to give you that heads up but you still need to lock your doors! Too many people do not do that simplest of things.

  5. #20
    Distinguished Member
    Array accessbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    lame post
    Lame post saying "lame post." WTH?
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

  6. #21
    Member Array hammer2213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    dayton, ohio
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    I have to agree with Lish on this one. A HD shottie or some other set up is fine until some BG gets the drop on you. No mention of a dog. You see my avatar. Not Mastivs but they are very alert, very loud, and very protective. They will try their best to tear a BG a new one and raise a ruckus heard into the next county while doing so. Certainly enough time/distraction for me to get to a gun and flashlight and go to work from there.
    That's funny you say that. A buddy of mine has a cane corso and a presa canara(that's not spelled right) but both dogs are huge and very protective, the first time I went to his house the one pushed me up against the door and wouldn't let me leave the welcome mat. But he also has a little Boston terrier. I asked why he would have that little dog when he obviously like large dogs. He said big dogs know they are big and arnt as alert as small dogs. So basically his lil dog is a warning to the big dogs. I feel bad for the guy the ever goes into his house.

  7. #22
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Scary :( I hadn't heard about this one. 2 BG's in the middle of the night I worry if I'd even have time to get to my gun. I really count on the dog to buy me time if something ever happens here...
    Keep the gun by your bed. My gun is either on my person at all times, or on my nightstand while I'm sleeping. You don't have to worry about having time to get your gun when it's right next to you. My wife actually keeps hers under her pillow, even.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

  8. #23
    Ex Member
    Array 1 old 0311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,429
    Were the doors locked? Alarm set? Dogs there?

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I predict the criminal element will begin shooting first instead of holding people hostage while they take what they want. Some will be deterred but the criminal element will always be with us and sadly there is only one solution in my opinion.
    I certainly concede that possibility.

  10. #25
    Member Array DooSPX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197
    Doors were locked, they broke the window in the living room. No alarm system, do not know if they had a dog or not. I don't know these victims' myself.

  11. #26
    Member Array nazshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    112

    Re: Home invasion using a shotgun in a small town where I live.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I predict the criminal element will begin shooting first instead of holding people hostage while they take what they want. Some will be deterred but the criminal
    Sounds like that would make for a short career.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

  12. #27
    Member Array 9mmhpfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    krypton
    Posts
    27
    In Oklahoma, last December an 18 year old mother who lost her husband to cancer in the same week two low lifes tried to break in her house and steal her deceased husband's pain meds. She called the police and they were going to send someone but of course no one knew how long it would be. She told the dispatcher that she had a shotgun and revolver and asked should she use them to defend herself. The dispatcher told her that she could not tell her what to do but she needed to do what she needed to protect her and her baby. She had the couch pushed up against the door and bad guy number#1 who was armed a hammer and a butcher knife and when he got through the door he was met by some 12 gauge buckshot. Liberal news media painted it as a tragedy that could have been avoided, right thinking people praised her for defending herself and her baby. I heard one comment that went "well how do they know that bad guy number#1 had violent intent?" Well you don't kick someone's door down late at night with a hammer and a butcher knife when your out collecting for the red cross.

  13. #28
    Senior Member Array Lish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Keep the gun by your bed. *My gun is either on my person at all times, or on my nightstand while I'm sleeping. *You don't have to worry about having time to get your gun when it's right next to you. *My wife actually keeps hers under her pillow, even.
    I have 5 children - 1 climbs into bed with me on a regular basis, 2 others wake me up often enough for various reasons at the bedside, add to that an epileptic child who sometimes seizes in the night, my nightstand and/or under the pillow simply aren't options, I'm so sleep deprived I can't take the chance I'll wake when a kid walks in and I do not believe in unsecured weapons for the age group of my kids. Even if I put a lockbox next to the bed, there will be precious time lost while I access the box/safe/whatever. *The fear of a bad guy scares me, but the fear of one of my little ones having access scares me more ( a toddler just shot themselves in my state at 3:40 am - I can't know for sure the kids stay in bed just because I put them there) The Rottweiler sleeps in an open top play pen type enclosure right by the front door, in full view of the back door - she can bust out of it in a second if she needs to and so I count on her to give me a heads up. *Do I want it closer? Sure. But in my household it's not a viable option right now.

  14. #29
    Member Array d2jlking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I have 5 children - 1 climbs into bed with me on a regular basis, 2 others wake me up often enough for various reasons at the bedside, add to that an epileptic child who sometimes seizes in the night, my nightstand and/or under the pillow simply aren't options, I'm so sleep deprived I can't take the chance I'll wake when a kid walks in and I do not believe in unsecured weapons for the age group of my kids. Even if I put a lockbox next to the bed, there will be precious time lost while I access the box/safe/whatever. *The fear of a bad guy scares me, but the fear of one of my little ones having access scares me more ( a toddler just shot themselves in my state at 3:40 am - I can't know for sure the kids stay in bed just because I put them there) The Rottweiler sleeps in an open top play pen type enclosure right by the front door, in full view of the back door - she can bust out of it in a second if she needs to and so I count on her to give me a heads up. *Do I want it closer? Sure. But in my household it's not a viable option right now.
    I'm with you. Your awareness and proactive thinking can help you in a BG situation. One slip with an unsecured weapon and a child, and it's a sure tragedy. Everybody's situation for self and home defense is different. Sounds to me like you have put some thought into yours.

  15. #30
    Senior Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kodak TN
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by nhcruffler View Post
    A layered defense is definitely the best. A dog is great to give you that heads up but you still need to lock your doors! Too many people do not do that simplest of things.
    Yep. Witness the murder of Doctor Petit's family in CT. The scum bags entered the Petit home thru an unlocked door.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

as i lay me down to sleep beside my bed a glock i keep
,
best gun for home invasion defense
,
home invasion shotgun
,
mossberg home invasion gun
,
mother uses shotgun to defend herself from home invaders
,
now i lay me down to sleep beside my bed an 870 i keep
,
now i lay me down to sleep my glock
,
savage 320 vs mossberg 500
,
shotgun home invaders
,

stevens 320 vs mossberg 500

,
stoppind a home invator from coming into my bedroom by using a shot gun.
,
stopping 2 home invaders with a shotgun
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors