Friend's dad attacked

This is a discussion on Friend's dad attacked within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend's dad was after some boxes for packing the other morning about 9:00. He went around behind a "Dollar Tree" store close to where ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friend's dad attacked

Friend's dad attacked

My friend's dad was after some boxes for packing the other morning about 9:00. He went around behind a "Dollar Tree" store close to where he lived to get some out of the dumpster. A man rushed him, stuck a gun in his face, robbed his wallet, bound him hand and foot and threw him into the dumpster. He was there about an hour before someone from the store found him. Mr Churchill is 76 years old and I'm sure quite an easy mark. Needless to say the family is quite upset, but I'd say he is lucky to be alive. Oh, yes - the BG stole his car also. I'd like to think that if he was carrying he would have a) Avoided places like that b) Been much more aware of his surroundings c) Been able to fight back. How would you folks have handled the situation?
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

2. Remove Ads

This Really Bothers Me...

for several reasons.
    First and foremost...the dirtbags who pull this type of crap need a 'quick' end to their adventures.
    Secondly, why do so many people walk around with their heads in the clouds...never aware of the surroundings...stay away from potential BG territory...if it looks bad, it probably is...
    What bothers me the most is picking on the elderly...we should have a special place in prison for these these preditory types!

STAY ALERT...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I cant out draw a drawn gun so if I was surprised like your friend's dad I would most likely be in the dumpster with him. The key is to not be surprised in the first place.

You're right falkon. He had gone there before to get boxes and I guess he didn't feel threatened. Lesson to be learned - Always be aware!

Dang, this happened at 9 in the morning? I think I'd have done the same thing... 9 at night would have been a completely different story because you'd have never found me out there. And, if he was unaware (or preoccupied) enough to let someone rush out of nowhere on him in broad daylight, then I don't know how he could have done anything differently. You can't fight a gun that's already in your face.

You didn't mention if he carries or not. If not, will he now start? He's lucky to be alive and will probably be more aware of his surroundings in the future...

I don't think he carries, but probably should. He is a jeweller and I suspect he might have a gun in the store, but doesn't actively carry. He might think about it now. I forgot to mention - the BG knocked his glasses off, banged up his head a bit, and stole his watch.

If he was armed the bg would now have his gun too.

The really sad thing is that no matter WHO came out there, the friend's dad, or store employee, someone was getting robbed!

Other than the stolen car and being surprised, robbed and bound, is he ok??? How's he doing mentally/emotionally?
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I think it might take a while emotionally. He had a couple of stiches in his head. His grandchildren were at his house at the time and they were really shaken up. It's a sad story - but he is lucky IMHO.

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed - sad story and without trying to armchair 1/4back it - should not really have been able to happen.
    The key is to not be surprised in the first place.
    That is at the crux of it but was not there and maybe the BG was concealed and lying in wait - but even so - I venture to think awareness must have been lacking a bit.

Goes to show tho - even the most seemingly innocent, simple situation can go south in a hurry.

Sure hope he mends quick and gets over the mental trauma.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

At 76 years old, ANY of us would have a tough time dealing with this problem. Armed or not. Next time perhaps someone should go with him.

Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    If he was armed the bg would now have his gun too.
    Yep.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thanks P95 and everyone else!

If you ever see a friend walking around unawares startle them and then tell them how badly they could have been hurt by telling them this story. It is a good lesson we all should learn. Sometimes we need to help our friends and their families.

Exclamation Just remember....even an OLD DOG might have one good BITE left!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJS View Post
    At 76 years old, ANY of us would have a tough time dealing with this problem. Armed or not. Next time perhaps someone should go with him.
    The legendary Jeff Cooper just passed away. He was in his 80's. I'll bet he was still pretty spry in his 70's and I'd HATE to be the punk accosting him! For that matter, my father-in-law is in his 80's as well. He's a former marine (WWII) and holds the Navy Cross among a lot of other stuff. He's got his CCW and carries either a Kel-Tec P11 or a S&W M60 38sp. Is that the "Chief's Special?" Anyway, it's a SS Chief's Special. He'd kill a perp as casually as a (real) sheepdog uses his teeth.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links