Driving too slow = beating?

This is a discussion on Driving too slow = beating? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is all from recollection of a recent incident told to me by a local LEO. 89 year old man was driving in Hiton Head, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving too slow = beating?

This is all from recollection of a recent incident told to me by a local LEO.

89 year old man was driving in Hiton Head, and apparently the driver behind him thought he was driving too slow, so at the red light, he got out, dragged the senior citizen out of the car, and beat him down and told him why. Then he left!

I don't know who found the old fella, but he had to be taken to the hospital for some serious abuse.

WTH is wrong with people anymore?????????? It's not like the BG couldn't have passed after the light and flipped the old guy off as he went by........
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Escalation

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    WTH is wrong with people anymore?????????? It's not like the BG couldn't have passed after the light and flipped the old guy off as he went by........
    If the guy had done this instead, I would hope he was not armed. This is known ed escalating the situation. If the first driver had been also a hot head instead of old and had reacted and an eventual fight was started that led to gun fire, it would be a tough call. Which ever one had the gun would be considered the bad guy keeping the problem going and not just letting it go. If you carry a gun sometimes you are forced to roast a little crow and have dinner.

I understand that, but neither had or showed any guns.

I am just saying that if the bg was THAT mad, he could've done something OTHER than beat the old fella down. You need to understand Hilton Head also. It IS a retirement area. There are a lot of slow drivers now. Alot of OLD New England transplants.

Someone carrying may have spun this completely differently. Could've just been a brandishing, followed by a call to 911.

Or if the 1st BG had reached, could've ended in a shooting. Element of surprise to someone trained in defensive shooting would almost surely end in shots fired. In this instance.

I know as ccp holders, we should avoid any confrontation for as long as humanly possible, but my instructor also stated that he had a similar situation happen to him on his way home one evening, and he did brandish, and call 911. No foul, no one harmed. He did say he was extremely startled when the guy grabbed the door handle and started to open the door.
    Sean
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    If the guy had done this instead, I would hope he was not armed. This is known ed escalating the situation.
    Right, and dragging the old man out of the car and beating him isn't considered escalating the situation?

When one gets to be a little 'Senior' the term 'deadly threat' takes on a different contex. Myself reaching the 'Senior' years and not able to move and protect myself as I used to, would have shot first asked questions later. Anyone breaking into my car while I am in it gets a 45 pill.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    When one gets to be a little 'Senior' the term 'deadly threat' takes on a different contex. Myself reaching the 'Senior' years and not able to move and protect myself as I used to, would have shot first asked questions later. Anyone breaking into my car while I am in it gets a 45 pill.
    Agreed. The worst he could get would be life in prison, which probably aint much at 86. (Just kidding of course)

Seriously though: If I was 86 and some younger man was thinking about whipping my a**, he'd have led poisining. At 86, assuming this guy has never been in trouble with the law and is an upstanding citizen, what is a jury going to do?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

89 year old man was driving in Hiton Head, and apparently the driver behind him thought he was driving too slow, so at the red light, he got out, dragged the senior citizen out of the car, and beat him down and told him why. Then he left!

I don't know who found the old fella, but he had to be taken to the hospital for some serious abuse.

I'll give you the REVERSE situation.........I'm going to post an ACTUAL incident, involving myself and a man who is 73 yrs old.(March 28, 2006) The guy was tailgating ME, and decided I was what he called a "drunk driver" (I was traveling in a 30 MPH speed limit zone heavily radar patroled)
    The guy almost ran into me, then almost sideswiped my car, at which time, when I got out of my car, he ran me down and left the scene (NO BS here either, as he's facing several Felony counts) I don't care who the person is, at what age they are, they're ALL considered to be BGs in my eyes (I wasn't armed that night) More in the scenerio postings a bit later
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I just want to say, and only because I care, that there are a lot of decaffeinated brands out there that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Seriously; I drive with my doors locked, and tell my septuagenarian parents to do the same. I'm getting a little worried about my 78 yr old father being able to tell the difference between a LEO and a BG who might be trying to obtain access through the driver's door. Heck, I'm still trying to get them to lock the front door of the house!

And yes; the Road Rage of the Year candidates come in all ages, sizes, and vehicle ranges. In fact, I'll probably peel the NRA sticker off my old truck while I'm here in CA, since I've noticed an increase in aggresive passing and overlong curious stares since I applied it.

What P's me off is these "tough" guys always seem around when it's a family man (with family), someone far less able to deal with the situation, or perhaps a woman (even though I know some women more than up to "dealing" with the situation) ect.

VIP Member

Mixed emotions -a tad off topic

I'm a senior too, but nowhere near that age. A few weeks ago my 94 year old uncle was found by the police, in a bad area of town, at 5 AM, driving 11 mph on a highway. Thank G-d for the officer who found him; before a thug as the above.

Uncle is now in an assisted living facility.

All of which raises an interesting (to me) question about license renewal (CCW that is) for the ultra elderly. The guy in this story might or might not have been fit to carry. My guess, and it is only that, is had he been more alert he would not have been pulled from his car and beaten. And if he was not alert enough to protect himself, he might not have been mentally competent to have a CCW.

Again, while the police can't be everywhere, at least in my Uncle's case they no doubt saved his life.

Somewhere in the Miami Ft Lauderdale area there is an officer who saved my Uncle's life. I just wish I knew who to thank.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Somewhere in the Miami Ft Lauderdale area there is an officer who saved my Uncle's life. I just wish I knew who to thank.
    There is a record of contact made somewhere in that dispatch office if you know the date and approx. time.
    Sean

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    As an older driver, I am always aware of the traffic around me. I drive with the door locked and am always armed. If some hot head decides to try to pull me out of the car for a working over, he'll have to break the window. If that happens, he'll get shot right in his ugly face. Fortunately, I live in Florida and I don't think I'd have a problem justifying my actions. I'd be in fear of my life and not required to retreat, which would be hard to do in a car anyway.

might make your ears ring......if you can hear good enough.....lol

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Wow. Awful situation, and I can go off in a dozen different directions on this one.

I'm not a Senior Citizen yet (except to my 15-year old, who thinks I'm one step away from Geritol and a glide rocker), but I've got to agree with raevan and the sarge.

If you break into my car while I'm in it, unless I can punch the gas and get outta there immediately if not sooner, I'm shooting you- -multiple times.

And man, oh, man. Beating the snot out of an 89-year old man? I cannot even begin to adequately impugn the assailant's "manhood", etc.

Many of the street thugs for whom I so often work would NOT take a kindly view of that.....if some of them witnessed such an attack the story might read much differently. If the old guy drove off, we'd have another senseless, "inexplicable" murder in the headlines....

RandyTulsa 2 has come closer to speaking my thoughts than any of the other posts.

While I believe that road rage is a real problem that many of us have occassionally succumbed to, I think we are all responsible for our actions. The guy beating an 89 year old is SCUM. I don't care if he just fought with his wife or found out his daughter was a hooker or that he doesn't get a tax refund this year. I don't care what is childhood was like.

When he saw that the focus of his anger was an 89 year old man, he should have just stopped and gone back to his car. His actions show the type of man (and I use the term loosely) he is.

Too bad the old man couldn't medicate the goblin with a few doses of lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links