Gun pointed at you...

This is a discussion on Gun pointed at you... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i'm thinking about this: let's you're walking along a dark road on the sidewalk and someone comes up and points a gun at you. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun pointed at you...

Gun pointed at you...

So i'm thinking about this: let's you're walking along a dark road on the sidewalk and someone comes up and points a gun at you.

What is the typical distance for someone to point a gun at you and demand your wallet? Is it within arms reach?

I'm thinking the human reaction time is slow compared to arm speed. Rather than risk giving your wallet to them and getting shot, would it be a better idea to just do a ninja move and divert their arm?

But, if they're at 4 or more feet away... well ... is it wise to try and duck out ? or comply and risk being shot?

Carrying a gun is nice and all but sometimes I think there's few practical situations for it, it seems like the element of surprise will always "out gun" you.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    This is why the most important skill you can develop is the skill of not putting yourself in these types of situations if you don't have to. Drawing your gun is the absolute last option. Doing your best to avoid these type of situations is your first line of defense.

When it comes down to something like this you take your chances one way or another. Comply and pray or draw down and pray. Either way your chances of getting killed are up there.

I don't think there is any definitive right or wrong answer.

Personally, if I thought I had a fighting chance, I would pick my spot, draw and take my chances. At the very least I figure I did something and tried my best for a favorable outcome. No way I am going to leave the outcome 100% in the perps hands.

I am sure this has been posted before and isn't exactly the type of situation you are talking about but it does give you something to think about. At least it did for me.

http://media.putfile.com/How-To-Make-Swiss-Cheese80

Quote Originally Posted by Yddnac View Post
    So i'm thinking about this: let's you're walking along a dark road on the sidewalk and someone comes up and points a gun at you.

What is the typical distance for someone to point a gun at you and demand your wallet? Is it within arms reach?

I'm thinking the human reaction time is slow compared to arm speed. Rather than risk giving your wallet to them and getting shot, would it be a better idea to just do a ninja move and divert their arm?

But, if they're at 4 or more feet away... well ... is it wise to try and duck out ? or comply and risk being shot?

Carrying a gun is nice and all but sometimes I think there's few practical situations for it, it seems like the element of surprise will always "out gun" you.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yddnac View Post

Get a friend and a squirt gun. Arm the friend with the quirt gun, and see how often your "ninja move" lets you divert his arm before you get wet.

Then, go change your wet shirt and reflect on the lesson learned.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Ahaaaa...

now I'm adding to my carry plan...
    Let's see, Glock-36 (strong side)...Kershaw Leek (right pocket)...Surefire E2e (lanyard)...AND...3 Ninja moves (left front pocket)...Yep...I'm all set!

Stay alert...stay safe!

Respectfully,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Disarm manuvers are tricky. Situational awareness is better. If in this situation , a distraction and stepping off line of the attack are good options if you decide to draw.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My 2 cents

I get to watch a lot of untrained and poorly skilled shooters. I think creating a bit of distance, preferably while moving off the line of attack, will do wonders for your chances. If you can move and shoot, and hit, you have the advantage over most untrained shooters. Most people I see can barely hit a stationary shilouette target at 25 feet on a lit range with no stress.

Of course, you might get a BG who can shoot...

Administrator
    Well, in these situations like this your chances are automatically 50/50 of having the trigger pulled on you "going in" no matter if you comply or not.

Notice that I did not say 50/50 of dying or even of being hit.
    I'm no statistician.
    I do know that there are only a limited number of categories of ways to exit this world.
    They are Natural, Intentional (suicide), Whoops! Accidental, (Meteorite crashes through your roof & kills you while you're sound asleep), Catastrophic Fatal Illness (not very much fun), In Service To Your Country (unplanned but, always a possibility) But, every day could be your last one. There are other ways but, I'm feeling lazy today...you get the idea though.

During the Ice Age 26 was the average life expectancy & 36 was a ripe old age.
    NOW Modern Man Expects to live lots longer. That's Nice!

Sometimes we are fortunate enough to have at least some control over exactly the way we find the EXIT sign.

If we are LUCKY can choose to Fight The Good Fight and chance losing that fight OR we can sheep out, Bend The Knee and take the groveling "Please, Please, Don't Hurt Me I Have A Wife & Two Kids" wimpy way out.

Both will leave you just as dead and stiff. That's a fact...both ways will earn you the very same Toe Tag.

Just shutting up and letting whatever might come your way...come your way...is a bit more admirable...the silent "Do Nothing" way out. Not much better but, at least not totally embarrassing in the eyes of the Lord.

Well, I figure that unless the Bad Guys Gun is point blank at your head...then even if you DO get shot...there is the added possibility of a complete miss coupled a decent chance that you won't die (right away) (unless you give up your ghost) - and even more chance that you'll survive any handgun hit in any non~instantly~incapacitating area. It sure might hurt but, you sure might live.

So...I'm not say that you should plan to die - or plan to get shot - only that you should realize the real possibility of it ...no matter what & begin from there.

For me personally I'm taking the Bag Guy with me no matter what ultimate fate Lady Luck has in store for me.

If my ticker is still ticking then I'm pulling my own trigger.

I keep myself in reasonably good physical condition.
    I am a seasoned and practiced defensive shooter.
    I can get to my firearm quickly with a fast presentation.
    I have practiced some CQ Survival Technique. (though I am not a pro)
    I carry a high quality 100% reliable self defensive firearm.
    I've lived this long when I really probably shouldn't be here anyway.
    I'm betting my life on my own sweet a$$ and not some unknown, goofy BG a$$.

Decide NOW - Train - Practice - Buy the BEST G-Damn Firearm that you can afford & maintain it. Try to always have it with you.
    Practice Situational Avoidance -

Now...The BIG Question:

Will You Be A Man Or A Mouse When The Clock Strikes Twelve?
    Include Brave Women in that also.
    "Man" (as in member of Human Race Of Man To Include Woman)

If & When the time arrives you'll have other more urgent things on your mind.
    Things like your immediate personal survival & making it home.

Best get that out of the way & decide now.

I'm going down fighting and smiling & the coroner WILL find me "ear to ear" grinning because I took at least one totally useless scumbag Piece Of Shirt with me.

I can promise you that. I will get the guy that is unlucky enough to get me.
    You Give Me My Last Day = I Give You Your Last Day.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

First off if a PERP got that close to you and you were not already in condition red SHAME ON YOU!!!
    Second off you throw what ever he is asking for off to his side so he has to divert attention away from so you and act as the situation needs.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Each situation is a moment unto itself. There is no tride and true definitive answer. I have talked people out of pulling the trigger as a last ditch effort to stay alive being in a position any attemt to draw would have failed. I have been lucky. The best course is be aware and don't put yourself in a sticky situation.

Question Depends

Your training--Lots of handgun retention training?

His location--18" or closer?

Right hand or left hand have the gun?

Can you freely move to right or left without danger of falling, a wall, etc?

What is he looking at?

Where is your gun carried--if you are carrying?

I have already made my decision--it depends :)))
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    He wants your wallet, give it to him. But don't hand it, throw it on the ground a few yards from his feet. When he goes for the wallet, draw your gun and try to fund cover. At least put distance between you and the BG. If you practice, that will give you the edge, or at least a fighting chance. Even if he gets away with your wallet, you live. Money can be replaced, you cannot be.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    He wants your wallet, give it to him. But don't hand it, throw it on the ground a few yards from his feet. When he goes for the wallet, draw your gun and try to fund cover. At least put distance between you and the BG. If you practice, that will give you the edge, or at least a fighting chance. Even if he gets away with your wallet, you live. Money can be replaced, you cannot be.
    I agree, but remember to move to the side as to get out of his line of fire and reset his OODA loop.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I've always been curious about how this works in a real situation.

Let me put it this way. If I'm a true BG, and I'm intent on robbing you and not leaving any witnesses as soon as you toss your wallet I'm going to shoot you in the head, then go over and pick your wallet up off the ground.

I am of firm belief though that most robberies do not occur on a planned basis (other than the obvious bank robberies, armored car robberies etc).

If this is the case this might very well be your saving grace. There are several instances I have heard of it working. A personal friend who lives in chicago claims that he keeps a money clip with a $10 bill on the outside and a stack of about 15 $1 bills on the inside. He claims to have been robbed several times on the subway, and each time he will take the money clip from his pocket, toss it on the ground, and the BG will normally turn around to get it. At this point he (as well as the BG) generally run away in opposite directions and he reports the incidient to the police. Apparently this has worked on more than one occasion and he is out 25 bucks but still alive.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, in these situations like this your chances are automatically 50/50 of having the trigger pulled on you "going in" no matter if you comply or not.

Notice that I did not say 50/50 of dying or even of being hit.
    I'm no statistician.

etc, etc.
    I thoroughly agree with QKShooter.

There are alot of replies in general that start out "don't ever put yourself in the situation", etc. I think that a) most on here have enough common sense to avoid obvious bad situations, and b) to say "I wouldn't ever put myself in this position" is like saying "it wouldn't ever happen to me". We don't know from one minute to the next WHAT situation we will be in, otherwise, we would know if and when we need to be armed. That being FACT, we need to be prepared for any type of situation.

The "ninja move" might just give you a slight help, if you are close enough. Knock the weapon away from your body with your support hand while you DRAW AND FIRE. Knock the arm away, move off the line of threat, and DRAW AND FIRE until the threat is stopped. You do have a GOOD CHANCE of getting shot, but like the knife attack scenario, the question is whether you will get shot/cut fatally or not. Best advice here is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE SOME MORE your tactical shooting. Slow, relaxed plinking is ok, but the tactical shooting is what will count when it comes down to it.

I would rather get shot/cut, and live or die, take the bast*rd with me, instead of just doing nothing and letting it happen. That is why I carry my weapon with me wherever/whenever not prohibited, and I accept the FACT every time I put on my weapon, that I MAY have to take a life.

Used to be that it was commonly advised to give up the wallet, money, cash drawer, etc, and you will likely not be harmed. In current times, that can no longer be said. You comply with the robber, carjacker, rapist, whatever, and you stand just as good a chance of being killed. (I don't have stats, etc to back this up, but my common sense tells me this.)

Charlie
    Last edited by Only Glock; October 8th, 2006 at 09:12 PM.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

I agree with QKShooter. There is'nt much left to be said that was'nt covered in his post.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links