DIDN'T confront someone today ...

This is a discussion on DIDN'T confront someone today ... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ... and no, it's not because I normally DO confront someone every day I work in downtown Cincinnati. The bus stop is in front of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: DIDN'T confront someone today ...

... and no, it's not because I normally DO confront someone every day

I work in downtown Cincinnati. The bus stop is in front of our building. While waiting for the bus this evening, there was a guy panhandling. This by itself isn't unusual, which is why I stay up on the platform of our building until my bus comes in to sight (that and I don't like standing in crowds if I don't have to).

I've seen this guy before, but this evening he was pretty aggressive, lunging face first at people to get in their faces and yelling "EXCUSE ME!" as they passed. Most people were avoiding him and stepping around him. One of the women I work with jumped back as he lunged at her and looked up at me. I could tell she was a little shaken. He stepped back and started yelling and swearing to nobody in particular. Another of the women standing up on the plaftorm with me looked at me nervously. I started to reach for my cell phone to call the police, then saw the back end of a city police cruiser parked around the corner. I crossed the street and motioned for him to roll down his window. I felt bad because I could see he was trying to eat his dinner. I said "Sorry to interrupt you while you're trying to eat, but there's a guy panhandling over here and he's getting pretty aggressive, swearing at people and scaring some of the women." I was actually a little startled at how quickly he put down his sandwich and jumped out of his cruiser. He said "I'll take care of it, which one is he?" He quickly crossed the street and sent the guy on his way before I even crossed (I had to wait for the light).

So what does this have to do with Defensive Carry? Well, mostly what I've learned since deciding to get licensed to carry concealed and also training pretty seriously in self-defense. That is: Don't get in a confrontation if you can avoid it. In this case, law enforcement was near by. Could I have confronted this guy myself if I needed to? Yes. However, he appears to me to be mentally disturbed, and was probably a lot less likely to start trouble with a police officer than with just some guy confronting him.

Conflict avoided, situation resolved. I doubt that he saw me cross the street and talk with the officer, as it was pretty crowded and I moved with the crowd. I'm always on high alert while waiting for the bus anyway, but I'll be watching for him in particular just in case.

Well played.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Well done and a great post. A great reminder and example for everyone.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I see you are in the former category and not the latter....Thumbs up.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Excellent mind set Bro!!

Good SA in seeing the cruiser. I'm confused as to why you were surprised by the police officer responding quickly, however.
    Spade115 and tcox4freedom like this.

Good job!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I'm confused as to why you were surprised by the police officer responding quickly, however.
    It wasn't just that he responded quickly, it was how quickly he responded. It was almost to the level of a response I'd expect to an emergency, which this clearly wasn't. He moved so quickly I seriously half jumped out of the way. I will be sending props to the Cincinnati PD this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by blanco64 View Post
    It wasn't just that he responded quickly, it was how quickly he responded. It was almost to the level of a response I'd expect to an emergency, which this clearly wasn't. He moved so quickly I seriously half jumped out of the way. I will be sending props to the Cincinnati PD this evening.
    Good for him. I respect that.

It's also his job

Not reacting to someone like this can be extremely difficult. Kudos!!!

Someone got in my face screaming and cussing a few weeks ago. I never reacted, moved, flinched, etc. I just positioned myself in a defensive posture and stared at his adam's apple ready to crush it if he made contact. Luckily, when he did not get the reaction he wanted he went on his way. He never had a clue how bad it could have gotten.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Great lesson. Thanks.

Conflict avoided, situation resolved. I doubt that he saw me cross the street and talk with the officer, as it was pretty crowded and I moved with the crowd. I'm always on high alert while waiting for the bus anyway, but I'll be watching for him in particular just in case.
    And, now, the police have him on their radar as well. Like as not, they already did.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Good job. Glad everything turned out OK. The panhandler was planning on sheeple, and got the sheep dog instead. Well played sir.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Situation handeled. Bravo Zulu to the officer and you.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

His response could have been based on how you presented it to him. If you were agitated, annoyed, etc, he could have felt it was more critical than it actually was. Even though you post it wasn't a clear emergency, you might have presented it to him as such. OMO
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links