Attempted Car Jacking Gone Horribly Wrong - from Juror

This is a discussion on Attempted Car Jacking Gone Horribly Wrong - from Juror within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a prime example of why I now carry a weapon and keep it at C1....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Attempted Car Jacking Gone Horribly Wrong - from Juror

This is a prime example of why I now carry a weapon and keep it at C1.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Two counts of 2nd deg. homocide, aggravated assault, grand theft auto, DUI (like it matters, likely dropped)unlawful possession of firearm...the list goes on and on. Yeah, I'd say death sentence was just about right. Why cant we be more like Texas?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Good writeup. Thanks for posting it, and moreover, than you for not ducking your civic duty to serve as a responsible juror.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I agree with gasmitty, article was informative and well written. No one is always aware and I'm glad to see no is blaming the victims. The best that can be said if you are going out late at night is to remember be alert/keep your eyes open!
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I think if there is a key lesson to learn here, it would be to have a secure and hidden place in your vehicle to store your firearm if you are going into a place where you cannot or choose not to carry it.

The first victim was likely only shot because the perpetrator saw his holstered but unsecured gun beside the seat. If it had been secured in a lockbox under the seat or locked in the trunk or glove box, that tragedy may have been avoided.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Gun or not, the first victim would have been too good a witness, scumbag shot him to prevent that.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    From the OP:

And to the OP, thank you for doing your civic duty, and for relating the details of the event. I must admit, however, that I am also curious as to how "Al" had a Nano three years before they were released...
    We saw a picture of the gun holstered. We were told it was a barretta and in 9mm. Did not see that make and model, so I assumed that it was the nano. My bad.
    oneshot likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    We saw a picture of the gun holstered. We were told it was a barretta and in 9mm. Did not see that make and model, so I assumed that it was the nano. My bad.
    Fair enough... Beretta makes quite a few 9mm handguns.
    oneshot likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Thanks for taking the time to type this up, I'm glad the guy has been sentenced appropriately to his crime.

I don't know of much that could be done differently, even with the benefit of hindsight. Better situational awareness sure, but we all know that can lapse at times, whether we consciously realize it or not. Once the gun is already present, and not in my hand, I'd have done the same thing. Give up the car, let the BG take it. -Maybe- once he was distracted, I'd try a "reverse car-jack"? but I'd just as soon let him take it and call the police. If I didn't get a chance to draw my own firearm before he had his and be in a stronger position, then yeah: I just don't see any "safer" option then letting him take it.

It was more bad luck than anything that he saw the owners weapon then anything else, I think. Yes the perp -may- have shot him anyways, but he might not have. He very well could have just driven off, but we'll never know. I think Alverino did the responsible thing but leaving the gun in the car when he knew he'd be drinking, but maybe the lesson is to just give that up? :P

Tran, I think, did the most logical thing for a person in a panicked situation, with their wife bleeding out beside you. He knew there was a hospital a short distance away, and raced to it. Maybe he could have called ahead while going, but calling for the help would have likely taken longer. Yes, he could have tried to change her seating position, but the reality is most people don't know these things, most people outside of some form of medical/emergency response would have that knowledge at their disposal, so again: getting her to the hospital you know is close by was the best thing to do.

I think, like another said, the only thing he might have done different is just get the pedal to the metal when he heard "gun" but, and this applies to most people, when you hear such a cry - you usually (naturally and instinctively I think) try to assess where it is, and that led him to stop. Again, most people don't consider these things, and certainly don't try to train their instincts to react differently.

All told a very sad set of events, one that reminds us all to be ever vigilant for ourselves and loved ones.

As for his brother's comment? I get that he lost a family member, but nothing will even out the balance that his waste of a life brother took out two hard working, responsible people, in turn tearing apart the lives of their families.

Wow, that was detailed and difficult to read (not due to writing, just due to the subject matter). Thank you very much for your civic duty and for sharing. Like it or not, we all have lessons to learn from this.

GH
    You & the rest of the jury rendered the right verdict. Good job!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Thanks for the write up. I have to stop reading these stories as it makes me so mad that there are people out there like this. At the very least he is scheduled to get what he deserves, in this life and the next.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Ex Member
    Don't know why but when I read "Houston" and KNEW there was a Katrina/New Orleans connection.

VIP Member
    Thank you for sharing this and all I could think was "what a senseless tragedy". The fact that the murderer tried to hijack a car in one place, then thought about robbing a gas station, and finally murdered two innocent people at a grocery store, underscores why we must always carry if we can, keep our SA on yellow, and be prepared for any situation. Crimes don't occur when it's convenient for us and the police can only respond. This story should be required reading for both CCP holders and anti-gunners.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Sad story all the way around. Not blaming the victims at all. They should be able to drive with unlocked doors and open windows and not have to worry about it. However, tactically, they would have been a bit more secure with the cars buttoned up. The perp's gun could still have been used through the locked doors.

Thanks for your civic duty and glad the perp will get the punishment he so clearly deserves.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links