Panic 9-1-1

This is a discussion on Panic 9-1-1 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought it was a good show. Nothing was over-dramatized and it was pretty much just playing out what actually happened. It really highlights the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Panic 9-1-1

Distinguished Member
    I thought it was a good show. Nothing was over-dramatized and it was pretty much just playing out what actually happened. It really highlights the points that you are the only one truly responsible for your safety. First responders are awesome but they can't be everywhere and it takes time, even if they are just a few miles away.

I wonder if that Farm King manager carries himself now. I think the 3rd call was also an Armed Citizen story in the NRA mags. For the first call I was waiting for her son to come out of the closet and shoot "Buddy". Thankfully the police got there just in time.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

2. Remove Ads

I almost started throwing things at the TV! "Put the gun down"!?! Then "Push it away from you"!?!" If the cops had shown up a few moments later than they did, you could have had a dead woman and child. She is told to abandon the only real practical tool left for her to defend herself and her child. I consider the instructions of the 911 dispatcher to border on criminal negligence.

Note that in the later episode in Oklahoma, the dispatcher makes it clear to the elderly woman that she has every right to shoot the BG in defense of her home and self. What a difference a state makes.
    MrsHB and Duality like this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Panic 9-1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I

Note that in the later episode in Oklahoma, the dispatcher makes it clear to the elderly woman that she has every right to shoot the BG in defense of her home and self. What a difference a state makes.
    Did you notice the difference in Mind Set? The older lady stated she was armed and would use it. I think she was in Montana or Wyoming. The woman in San Jose CA was sadly a member of the Government can save me. To top it off all the perp was charged with was burglary. It was a classic case of of plea bargain justice. It should have been Aggravated /Burglary/assault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wonder if that Farm King manager carries himself now.
    Keep in mind that he's in Illinois...

Otherwise, just throwing in basically the same two cents as everyone else. Oklahoma lady was very cool... The only thing I noticed was a lack of "GET DOWN ON THE GROUND SCUMBAG - I HAVE A SHOTGUN POINTED AT YOU" -- That said, if it went down more or less like they implied, with the perp in the house just walking toward her, I suppose words weren't necessary. I just feel bad for her that she had to take it there - But glad she did.

Macomb freak job -- Noticed they had to throw the whole "THE WEAPON CAN FIRE 450 ROUNDS PER MINUTE" thing in there, which I suppose you can do if you have amazingly fast fingers. But then on the 911 call, it did sound as if it was firing at full auto at one point (that said, I make a living manipulating audio -- and they make a living massaging drama and selling commercial slots).

Trapped in the closet lady -- (A) I'm awfully glad she survived. (B1) I'm not putting the gun down until after the cops have theirs drawn. (B2) I can't believe she actually did... That part boggles the mind... (B3) Yeah, I hope the operator/dispatcher was at LEAST "re-trained" on such matters. It was absolutely sheer luck that those guys came through the door when they did. Seconds more - a minute more - however more - it could've been a completely different ending.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, passed and waiting for IL at the moment.

Distinguished Member
    The other thing about Farm King, the guy was loading mags... it didn't seem like he had a loaded weapon on him at the time, 1. why not start getting everyone out of the store then and 2. tackle his ass!

I also noticed about the auto fire that could be heard.

I almost started throwing things at the TV! "Put the gun down"!?! Then "Push it away from you"!?!" If the cops had shown up a few moments later than they did, you could have had a dead woman and child. She is told to abandon the only real practical tool left for her to defend herself and her child.
    This situation happened in California,even tho it was almost 20 years ago IMHO the dispatcher gave out bad advice and if that woman had been killed I would hope there would be a lawsuit,as it was she survived thanks to LEO's finally getting there,but If It was my Sister,GF,Wife,Mother I would have ripped the Dispatcher a new one.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here is a news story on the third one, seems he wrecked his truck nearby. And this was investigated as a homocide and sent to the PA's office to see if charges should be filed. Wow.

http://www.news9.com/story/11620296/...type=printable

Panic 9-1-1

All shootings are treated as Homicides. It is later they decide to view it as a justified homicide and not to prosecute by the DA or to move forward with criminal charges

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most of the points I was going to make have already been covered, including the way it was edited...gives me eyestrain with all the glitzy vibrating graphics and flashy scene changes. One thing I was wondering was why not include attempted rape in the charges? He said: "now I'm going to get a little nasty with you" when I think she was on the ground. Did they just mean a beating? I took it as rape. He didn't seem to want material goods from the apartment. He was a stalker.

Watched the show and was flabber-gasted over the fact the dispatcher told her to put the gun down so the officers do not mistake her for the intruder. (Note it was established the intruder was a man. I guess it is hard to differentiate between a man and a shaken up woman.)

As for Donna Jackson(shotgun mama) the dispatcher tells her the officer gave the OK to shot intruder....... Like she need permission.....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I thought it was a good show. Nothing was over-dramatized and it was pretty much just playing out what actually happened. It really highlights the points that you are the only one truly responsible for your safety. First responders are awesome but they can't be everywhere and it takes time, even if they are just a few miles away.

I wonder if that Farm King manager carries himself now. I think the 3rd call was also an Armed Citizen story in the NRA mags. For the first call I was waiting for her son to come out of the closet and shoot "Buddy". Thankfully the police got there just in time.
    Yeah, I thought they were as good as dead. I was glad the police got there in the nick of time, but you can't always count on that.

Overall I liked the show. It seems to just show what actually happened through dramatization, rather than taking any literary license with the story. I'll tune in for more episodes.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I'm watching it now also. I'm thinking that there will be an outrage from many people who are offended by this show.
    They are saying things like:
    "Using real 911 footage to play on peoples' fear for entertainment is just wrong."
    "This show is nothing but an effort to increase ratings by publicizing the sick, terrible, and horrifying experiences that some individuals have been unlucky enough to live through."
    "Too many of us have these kinds of traumas in the headlines."

My thoughts... I think the program does a good job showing what kinds of dangers are out there.
    I understand what you are saying but if you do not know "what kind of dangers are out there" and need a TV show to tell you, you are not very alert to the times we live in. Personally, I tend to go with your first bunch of comments; listening to actual 911s and hearing the anguish and fear in voices is NOT entertaining to me, nor is it any form of "education" to the "dangers out there". I find it kind of sick that a municipality would even enter into some kind monetary arrangement with a TV show to broadcast this kind of material, leaving aside Freedom of Information requirements. I "get" the TV show 48 Hours, but this is not for me. Hey--to each his own. If enough watch it will be on for awhile, if it is up to me, it will disappear.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Watched the show and was flabber-gasted over the fact the dispatcher told her to put the gun down so the officers do not mistake her for the intruder. (Note it was established the intruder was a man. I guess it is hard to differentiate between a man and a shaken up woman.)

As for Donna Jackson(shotgun mama) the dispatcher tells her the officer gave the OK to shot intruder....... Like she need permission.....

I'm not sure if it was said for permission or more of a confirmation she could do what she needed to do, maybe putting some ease in her so she wouldn't freeze and then have it turned on her.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I understand what you are saying but if you do not know "what kind of dangers are out there" and need a TV show to tell you, you are not very alert to the times we live in. Personally, I tend to go with your first bunch of comments; listening to actual 911s and hearing the anguish and fear in voices is NOT entertaining to me, nor is it any form of "education" to the "dangers out there". I find it kind of sick that a municipality would even enter into some kind monetary arrangement with a TV show to broadcast this kind of material, leaving aside Freedom of Information requirements. I "get" the TV show 48 Hours, but this is not for me. Hey--to each his own. If enough watch it will be on for awhile, if it is up to me, it will disappear.
    Yeah you are right with to each his own...I think from the small part I watched it could be used as training.. It's just real life training. The dispatcher's could learn what to say and what advice not go give. It could cause them to take a deeper look into their states laws. The police departments could hear the calls and see if there is a way to improve response times. Home owner's could learn from the different scenarios. Yes its very sad that many had to live through these situations and I do feel for them but on the other hand...alot could be learned from it. Just my 2 copper pennies...

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    yeah, and reality TV is real... just like the Brady Bunch and My Three Sons... Too funny...

Must be nice to know it all...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links