Privacy Fences - might be time to rethink them

This is a discussion on Privacy Fences - might be time to rethink them within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mn01r6 To all those that say gun signs are advertising, I would say they no more advertise you have valuables (in this ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Privacy Fences - might be time to rethink them

Quote Originally Posted by Mn01r6 View Post
    To all those that say gun signs are advertising, I would say they no more advertise you have valuables (in this case guns) in your house than an alarm company sign. After all, nobody pays an alarm company to protect a house without valuables.
    Many people have alarmed barriers to protect the most-valuable item of all: our loved ones, and ourselves. Mere "stuff" is often a secondary consideration.
    suntzu, OldVet and blitzburgh like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Agreed - but I think you missed the point of my post.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Many people have alarmed barriers to protect the most-valuable item of all: our loved ones, and ourselves. Mere "stuff" is often a secondary consideration.
    Yet most homes have what a thief considers valuable, alarmed or not. My home--pre-alarmed and signed--was burglurized. It has not been since the alarm and signage was installed. Lucky? Perhaps. But it's one step in reducing the odds of a break-in.

As a sidenote, the involved individuals were caught, tried, and sentenced. The one responsible for repayment skipped the state afterwards to avoid the payments. Moved to Ohio and the state refused to envoke a violation of parole.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

To all those that say gun signs are advertising, I would say they no more advertise you have valuables (in this case guns) in your house than an alarm company sign. After all, nobody pays an alarm company to protect a house without valuables.
    Agreed - but I think you missed the point of my post.
    Oh? How so?
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Oh? How so?
    Signs that advertise you have guns in your house and are prepared to use them to defend yourself do not increase the likelihood of burglary. Taking an analogy out of context and contradicting it out of context is missing the point of my post. Indeed, your disagreement with "nobody pays and alarm company to protect a house without valuables" does not address the point I was making. If criminals knowing you had guns in your house made you a likely target for burglary, Kennesaw, GA would be the burglary capitol of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    So now they know you have guns, and they can watch you to learn your schedule, break in when you're not home and steal them.
    Can't steal them if they don't know where they are!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Can't steal them if they don't know where they are!
    No, but if they catch you unaware, they can beat the crap out of you and torture your children until you tell them where they are.

Then they can shoot you with your own guns; or if they are nice, pistol whip you into a coma.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Getting back to the original post, fence frames/cross members on the outside (public side) of the fence are perfect step ladders. If these guys are going over the tops of fences, 4 or 6-penny nails hammered into the top of each plank with 1/2" showing and the heads snipped off are a great deterrent. Keeps the birds and squirrels off, too.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    Getting back to the original post, fence frames/cross members on the outside (public side) of the fence are perfect step ladders. If these guys are going over the tops of fences, 4 or 6-penny nails hammered into the top of each plank with 1/2" showing and the heads snipped off are a great deterrent. Keeps the birds and squirrels off, too.
    Folks used to embed broken glass on fence tops at one time--until the lawsuits started flying.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

don't have a fence, just camera's

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    I have a dog and a sticker I got from the second amendment foundation:

Yep; great..now the BG figures he better get his out too.

Element of surprise? Helloooo..is anyone home?
    DubH00 likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Folks used to embed broken glass on fence tops at one time--until the lawsuits started flying.
    What specific lawsuits would those be? I've heard rumors, but to my admittedly limited knowledge of laws outside the state of Kansas, no one has ever been able to substantiate a single one. If you have one that has resulted in a criminal or civil conviction, please let me know.
    -Thanks
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

I have a fence and a 75 pound Boxer that's built like a MAC TRUCK...hop over the fence and think you have some cover and see what happens....once I hear him (Boxer) change his bark tone...I'm ready on the inside, 911 + Gun (Mossberg 500 home defense) and its playmate on the hip...

Signs that advertise you have guns in your house and are prepared to use them to defend yourself do not increase the likelihood of burglary. Taking an analogy out of context and contradicting it out of context is missing the point of my post. Indeed, your disagreement with "nobody pays and alarm company to protect a house without valuables" does not address the point I was making.
    Which is why I highlighted the claim. Didn't seem like a nonsensical analogy, stated like that. My point was refutation of the claim, not commenting on the overall sense of the post. Even so, the whole post related to the attraction of the spot in seeking valuables. Irrespective of what was drawing the idiots to that spot, either a prior burglary's take, signage or whatever, it's hard to say there's only one rationale for having an alarmed perimeter defense.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Re: Privacy Fences - might be time to rethink them

You guys with the signs are probably right...

After all, the thugs don't read the "No Weapons" signs at the bank, the Waffle House, or anywhere else for that matter.

They just think they're pretty pictures of guns... They cain't read any way.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links