Interesting Advice

This is a discussion on Interesting Advice within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll just keep using all JHP....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Interesting Advice

I'll just keep using all JHP.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

There is very little in a house that would warrant an FMJ. Refrigerators, freezers and that sort of thing but most any other round will go right through furniture and walls. The concern in a home defense scenario is over penetration where your rounds go outside the house. FMJs to that better than anything else.

In general, you want the hardest-hitting round you can shoot accurately and that runs through your gun flawlessly.

The mixed-round philosophy presupposes some particular sequence of events. But there's no way to know beforehand what's going to happen. Maybe the BG will be behind cover first, and then charge you second. Having a mixture of rounds in your magazine can arguably affect your accuracy and the reliability of your weapon.

Instead of thinking in that way, I'd put a lot more emphasis on learning to remain calm, taking your time and hitting your target with the first shot.
    gasmitty and nerdyvirgin like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

The FBI test all the LE JHP through gel, walboard, plywood and safety glass, even car doors... The Federal LE Tactical HST and Winchester Ranger T LE passed those test w/ flying colors. Exactly the two rounds I use in my EDC .40.
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

The author recommended the first 3 or 4 rounds should be hollow point with the remaining rounds FMJ.

His rationale was that if you miss with the first few, the BG might dive for cover, in which case the FMJ rnds could still eliminate the threat behind a wall or couch or whatever.
    My view is that a decently powerful JHP is plenty capable of reaching an assailant through most simple barriers, including doors, walls, car doors, fencing and the like. Won't penetrate windshields necessarily, or tougher barriers. But then, it's less likely to go zipping through to the degree that FMJ will. That's a good enough compromise for me. A magazine of JHP.
    aus71383 and nerdyvirgin like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you miss the BG with the first 3-4 shots, chances are one or the other of you will beat feet, negating any need to change ammo type.
    Pretty much.
    I try not to over think this stuff . You can drive yourself nuts with it.

MJK
    The problem with this approach is that it anticipates a scenario that will likely never unfold. This approach could box in your "mindset" and constrain options that might otherwise be available.

Take a look at what DocGKR recommends over on M4Carbine.net - his advice is in the "Terminal Ballistics" section.

I'll stick with 185 gr. DPX in my EDC.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    The practice of stacking mags goes back a long way. One of the main issues is that just like stacking a mag tube on a shotgun you never seem to have the right ammo when you need it and there is no way you keep track of the rounds fired and can honestly say ok the next one is buckshot, slug and so on.

If needed carry an extra mag of HB as your last one or if you need to change mags to HB you know where it is.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Interesting stuff......

What cover (in a home) will negate a hollow point? A fridge maybe but those are usually against a wall leaving one side of cover,maybe two. At that point id rather flank then use fmj.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    So your first couple of shots either missed their target or were way off target and just "winged him" and now you are in a good old fashion gunfight against some crazy BG who is drug infested or really good at this "burglary w/firearm stuff" or both and switching bullets is going to make things get better for you? That is why I start with a 12g with buckshot--he WILL NOT just get "winged".

I dont like buck though, not for this anyway, what if he's near my wife or kid?

StarPD45
    A lot of "what ifs" to consider. One type of ammo (JHP) is more likely to work in most cases. Save the FMJ for range practice.

my great uncle ted was a cop and corrections officer and he once told me " my gun (shotgun) has a beanbag,two slugs then nothin' but double ot." not the same situation but that's what he did. Im not sure why he did it that way exactly, he died when i was still a kid so we didn't talk shop too much, but i think the idea was a "warning" two specific shots for lone issues then reliable spread there on out.

While I don't see the need or benefit of staggering the loads, if you elect to do so, please ensure your gun is reliable if so loaded.

When I do carry more than one spare mag, frequently one of the spares is loaded with FMJ so if I absolutely need it, I have it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links