Situational awareness at level zero in the morning

This is a discussion on Situational awareness at level zero in the morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't help it. I'm an absolute Zombie. I wake up (if you can call it that), drive to Detroit with one eye cracked half ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Situational awareness at level zero in the morning

Situational awareness at level zero in the morning

I can't help it. I'm an absolute Zombie. I wake up (if you can call it that), drive to Detroit with one eye cracked half open, stagger into my office and then spend a while getting caffeinated. It really hit home last week when I got out of my car before I even noticed two locals leaning against the building. (I'm unarmed, of course, since I'm going to work). I'm in one piece because they didn't choose to attack me, not because I was smart or prepared.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this...it's not like I don't know how to fix it. Maybe because I've been uber-busy for the last couple years and I've missed this place. And my hippie friends wouldn't understand what the problem is if I told them.

Whatever..maybe someone will learn from my complacency.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

I seem to always wake up pretty alert, which is why once I wake up, I'm up. Unfortunately, there's no going back to sleep for me.. even if I have no obligations for the day.
    wraithls1 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Solution: More coffee before you leave for work. Or, make yourself a coffee in a nice travel mug and drink it while in the car. Make sure it isn't so hot that you can't chug it.

I have one espresso (home roasted beans of course - I'm a gun AND a coffee snob) when I wake up, then a crappy Starbucks drip as my "1st" coffee when I get into work.
    Hoganbeg and Luckey1115 like this.

Glad you're ok. Perhaps an earlier bed time?
    ep1953 likes this.

Coffee? HA! I laugh at you're coffee sir! Try this next time you wake up all sleepy like, 1 16 ounce can red bull (I go sugar/cal free but thats a personal thing.), 1 5 hour extra strength. Shotgun both for "full" effect.
    Sip another RB while driving to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I wake up (if you can call it that), drive to Detroit with one eye cracked half open, stagger into my office and then spend a while getting caffeinated.
    Uncertain whether you "do" breakfast. For those who don't typically have one, it can help.

It really hit home last week when I got out of my car before I even noticed two locals leaning against the building. I'm in one piece because they didn't choose to attack me, not because I was smart or prepared.
    One of the great lessons, there. We can affect things to some degree, but sometimes it simply doesn't matter. The timing's just right (or wrong), the stars are aligned, there are two or three of them egging each other on, or whatever.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

AOK
    I think you are well on your way by recognizing your deficiency. It's not any different than training how to fight with your firearm. You recognize your shortcoming and you work on it. While things like more sleep and having some caffeine earlier in the morning may incrementally rectify the problem, ultimately I think it comes down to you making a conscious effort to be more aware. Stay safe!

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I feel your pain, as I am the quintessential "Night Person" and no matter how much sleep or lack of it I've had, I am always much more alert at night.

Try jogging in place for a few minutes each morning to get the blood flowing. Don't think about it, just do it! Then do coffee.

I vaccinate on the way to work so that when I exit my car I am "alive".
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I drive into Detroit several days a week. But I'm not one of those "get up and go" people. I have to have at lease 3-4 cups of coffee and read the news before I'm awake enough.

Ever considered I.V. drip? (Coffee, that is.)

Ditto, on the suggestion for running in place, or 5mins of push-ups and sit-ups, or a brisk walk around the block. Anything's better than staggering from bed to office without restarting the "engine."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sleep is one of those things that many people don't take seriously. Maybe try to get that working more efficiently before taking drugs to "fix" things.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Get a dog.
    Curzyk likes this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    OK get yourself a old wind up alarm clock the one with the 2 bell on top and a metal wash basin set your alarm for regular time place clock in metal wash basin place about 5ft from your bed and if that does not get you going see a doc

If you have medical insurance - get a sleep study done. You may have sleep apnea and/or restless legs syndrome.

If you don't have insurance - get up an hour before you need to leave for work. Take a shower, eat breakfast, drink 2 cups of coffee, sit a while....

I did option B until I learned about option A.

Good luck in any case. Sounds like a medical problem based on my experience....apparently it isn't healthy to wake up feeling exhausted every day.

Austin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links