Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK - Page 2

Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK

This is a discussion on Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seriously, when was the last time, if ever, that you heard of that stunt ACTUALLY being pulled by anyone over the age of 25; by ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK

VIP Member
    Seriously, when was the last time, if ever, that you heard of that stunt ACTUALLY being pulled by anyone
    over the age of 25; by a middle aged couple no less.

Caution is always nice but excessive fear is isolating and self-degrading.

OK-- here's a challenge. Use Google's news search. Someone, find a real news report of anyone
    being robbed, kidnapped, assaulted, following such a gambit, by an older couple no less.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Seriously, when was the last time, if ever, that you heard of that stunt ACTUALLY being pulled by anyone
    over the age of 25; by a middle aged couple no less.

Caution is always nice but excessive fear is isolating and self-degrading.

OK-- here's a challenge. Use Google's news search. Someone, find a real news report of anyone
    being robbed, kidnapped, assaulted, following such a gambit, by an older couple no less.
    He said "older coupe"....not couple.
    darbo, oakchas, niks and 2 others like this.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    This^^^^

We don't get too many cars on our block that don't belong to the people who live here or belong to people who are visiting the people who live here. I would expect that if one of the visitor's car broke down that they would go directly to the persons house that they know.
    That's how it is here where I live in SC. I'd be a little skeptical as I'm used to seeing the same cars every day coming down our hardly traveled road. Depending on my spidey senses, I'd more than likely help out. I've needed help many'a times myself and am thankful for those who were willing to do so.

If this were to happen where I live in Pittsburgh, it'd be even more sketchy (and damn near impossible to happen) since I stay on a 4th floor apartment and you need buzzed in to even knock on my door.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

More often than not I don't even get up to answer the door anymore. This incident would be no different. They can see two gas stations from the end of my driveway and could have walked most of the way to one instead of up to my door. There's really no reason for them to bother me.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I have had a few knocks on my door from salespeople I have answered the door gun in hand. Not threathening or anything but in my hand at my side.

There's a difference between a healthy amount of a fear and being paranoid.

I'm just speaking for myself but I suspect listening to my "gut feeling" is a significant part of the reason I am still alive. If something doesn't feel right, chances are it isn't. Pay attention to that feeling.

It'd take days or weeks for me to list every single thing that I can remember that I didn't do or places I didn't go because of that feeling and something bad ended up happening. Of course, like always, I learned this the hard way and have a list of things that did happen because I didn't listen to it.
    Darrow75, NONAME762 and Aceoky like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

In my neighborhood, unless my spidy sense tells me something is up, I'm probably helping the folks out while keeping my guard up.

Lead Moderator
    I have helped 3 people in the last two years with broke down vehicles. Unless the seem really be dirtbags or I feel something is off I will help.
    aus71383, tcox4freedom and Aceoky like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    They are not getting in. But i'm most likely going to cautiously help.
    I live on a dead end street so...................
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Evaluate the situation and go with your gut feelings. If you don't feel safe with the situation, don't answer the door.
    MrsHB likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    He said "older coupe"....not couple.
    I stand corrected. My opthalmologist will be happy to see me; the dispensing optician will be even happier.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Like others have said, I'd probably help them out depending of course on that "gut feeling" not telling me something was off. I won't live thinking everyone is out to get me but also don't live in a land of unicorns and lollipops where someone can easily get the drop on my if and when I do offer my help. It's simple. Pay attention to what your gut tells you and always beware of your surroundings.

I failed to to do that once when I was in my 20's and it got me mugged in the foyer of my own apartment building. Still not going to stop me from helping someone out in need though. Just always remember that day if I ever catch myself letting my SA drop.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I shoot through the door with my 12ga.....It is a well known zombie tactic to use the old "car breakdown" scam to get inside your house to eat your brains.
    Could be one of those giant bugs from the Orkin commercials. They use similar tactics.

Be courteous, be professional and be prepaired to kill everyone you meet.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I shoot through the door with my 12ga.....It is a well known zombie tactic to use the old "car breakdown" scam to get inside your house to eat your brains.

Landshark... er.. I mean... Candygram
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links