Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK

This is a discussion on Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being an auto mechanic I would go help, but even before I had my ccw, as a mechanic (and survivalist and hiker) I always have ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK

Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK

Being an auto mechanic I would go help, but even before I had my ccw, as a mechanic (and survivalist and hiker) I always have a sharp knife.
    Always keep them in sight too! A lot of stranded motorists want to stand behind you and watch. HELL NO!
    Wife: Why do want to carry a gun all the time everywhere we go?
    Me: To protect you and the kids, keep myself safe, protect others if needed, and to express my love of my Constitutional Rights.
    Wife: Awwwwww OK <3

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I would go out the back door looking around for anything out of the ordinary and keep my cell in hand as I checked it out. Dr

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I tend to help more than fear. I've been in the "Hood up; steam rolling" situation and was very grateful for the help I received. I choose not to live my life in fear or paranoia. Cautious, yes; fearful, no.
    - I would also help. I've been in a similar situation. My alternator died in my car when I was in college. Everything electrical went out and I rolled to a dead stop in the middle of nowhere. I didn't own a cell phone (1998) at the time and had absolutely no way to get any help. I knocked on a few doors until a VERY kind couple let me use their phone to call my parents.

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in the world is a nefarious serial killer waiting to get you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I listen to my gut. Where I live now, it would be totally backwards to stop here coz it's a circle drive neighborhood road so anyone who doesn't live here probably has a friend that they would go to - nobody is just driving through and there's a gas station in walking distance, and at my parent's house it would be 100% suspicious coz they are at the dead end and up a hill away from the road, but if your house was on a more main road and away from obvious sources of help, then given the info in the OP it would probably be best to help out.

I've helped people a few times, and told others a flat NO, just listening to my gut. So far, it's always been right. I feel like being aware of the risk and making conscious decisions is different than blindly jumping into anything because it's "the right thing to do" or whatever sentiment people naively cling to.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

My house is two blocks away from a full service gas station/repair shop. I'd direct them to go there while never openjng the door, LCR in my pocket as it always is.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have and would help. If it goes down, it goes down and they will be surprised at the fight. I'm not going to lock myself in my safe along with my guns, I am going to live life and that includes helping people from time to time. Despite what some may think of me, I'm actually a nice guy and will bend over backwards to help someone in need. But they better be pretty good if they are choosing me as a victim; I have some street smarts and it would be unfortunate to mistake my kindness as weakness. I'm not the baddest mo de fo in the world but I have my abilities.

Know your strengths and your weaknesses and choose whether or not you will attempt to help someone depending on where your self-assessment falls. Trust your instincts and be able to manipulate and flow with a situation as it plays out, giving yourself the best advantage if something goes south. If you do it correctly, the GG's will never know. If they are BG's, they should be surprised to see that you were already in orange when they made their move.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like Dr. Phil but that's the way I seez it.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Unless there was something obviously fishy that made me feel funny I'm for sure gonna help. I don't know a lot about cars but water I can do. I won't lend out my cell phone but I would call a number for them. As a few others have said, I'm not gonna lock myself in my cave and hide. No point being in this world if you're not willing to be a part of it.
    Tmarkert likes this.

I live on a hill off a paved two lane county road with a long driveway. 1/4mi I'd say. Usually if I am out in the garage working and I hear people approaching I will open the small door. I've got a black lab who roams outside. I investigate, if for no other reason than to make sure he is behaving and not trying jump up on the FedEx man. If it is not someone I know, I will meet the vehicle and find out who they are, while making no attempt to hide the Glock on my hip. I rent the downstairs of the house, so many times it is a friend of the upstairs renter. If I am inside and they knock at the front door or ring the doorbell, I don't hear it.

I can see town from home, and can look across the corn field and see my neighbors. If someone broke down on the county road, they would most likely walk to a neighbor's because my driveway is longer. In the event they did knock on the door or rang the bell and I heard it for some reason, it would depend on what they needed and how vulnerable it would make me. They'll sure be surprised when my voice doesn't come from the front door!
    "I dont like repeat offenders...I like DEAD offenders."-Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Be courteous, be professional and be prepaired to kill everyone you meet.
    You stole my signature line!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Sometimes we can be a bit, shall we say, "over the top," here on DC...
    I posted this to take our collective "temperature," in a way.

Oh, the scenario is plausible... stuff like this has happened to me... and I've been helped... and I've helped others in similar situations.

And, we've got to remember that most criminals ain't smart enough to use a ruse like this... Unless they're getting their education from boards like this... But some of them HAVE posed as Police, Utility workers, delivery men... in order to gain entry. So, we have to be mindful that it's a possibility...

While we all here believe in the 2nd Amendment.... And personal security, safety, and defense; we don't have to go through life in a constant state of:
    CONDITION NEARLY RED, DANGER! WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

Enjoy life, help folks who need it, and spread a little joy this Christmas Season...
    pittypat21 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Had a guy in a parking lot come walking towards me at a pretty fast pace. He had a shaved head, was in his early 20's and looked like he had just rolled out of a local Klan meeting. I was loading groceries into my car when I saw him out of the corner of my eye coming towards me. I turned around slowly and put my hands in my back pockets as if that was the comfortable thing to do. Course, all I was doing was making access to my 4 o'clock IWB that much easier. Asked him calmly what he needed and he just asked if I had a jack he could borrow. Uh, a jack? Yeah, he drives an old Lincoln and since I drive a Lincoln, they have specific lugs that Ford has decided only they can make jacks for. I helped him out and he turned out to be a pretty good kid. Actually, what lowered my perceived threat level was when I saw the baby seat in the back car. I have a youngin as well, and figured he'd have to be pretty desperate to try something stupid in front of his kid.
    So, long story long, I'd open the door, help em out, but would still be carrying the entire time.
    Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Unless there was something obviously fishy that made me feel funny I'm for sure gonna help. I don't know a lot about cars but water I can do. I won't lend out my cell phone but I would call a number for them. As a few others have said, I'm not gonna lock myself in my cave and hide. No point being in this world if you're not willing to be a part of it.
    Problem there is most folks don't memorize numbers anymore, they just enter them into the call list and forget them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Problem there is most folks don't memorize numbers anymore, they just enter them into the call list and forget them.
    Then I guess they would not ask to borrow the phone either.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Be prepared, SA in high gear, help them out. This is a tough and violent world today. I am who I am and that isn't going to change. If they turn out to be BGs I will have the element of surprise on my side.

Since I have cypher locks and security cameras on every door I think that a BG would reconsider his/her plan upon realizing this. BGs look for the easy unsuspecting victim.

I do not and will not live in fear. Carrying a gun at all times is part of that equation.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Senior Moderator
    I would help them out, I actually like helping people......but then again I'm religious
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links