Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK

This is a discussion on Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's mid afternoon... nice day... clear sky... you're at your PC reading the latest posts on DC.... You hear a knock at your front door... ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK

It's mid afternoon... nice day... clear sky... you're at your PC reading the latest posts on DC....

You hear a knock at your front door... you get up, they knock again... As you get to the front door, you can hear them (one or more, you don't know) yelling.... "Hey! anybody home? Car's broke down! Could use some water or somethin'

You look out a window, the peephole, whatever.... see a nondescript older coupe kinda dented up... like a typical teenager's first car.... Hood's up. steam rolling, as said in the title....

Whatcha gonna do?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Help the guy out, cant live a life of constant worry.Mind you I have a knife in my pocket and probably got my gun on my hip already. Maybe not the gun, definitely the knife.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I tend to help more than fear. I've been in the "Hood up; steam rolling" situation and was very grateful for the help I received. I choose not to live my life in fear or paranoia. Cautious, yes; fearful, no.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Part of me says talk through the door and ask what they need. If it's just water I'd tell them to wait by the car and give me a few minutes and I'd be out with some water. Cautiously (SA on 11, armed) approach the vehicle and give them the water then make a little distance, I'm not bending over. If that is all they need fine see ya, you're welcome. Merry Christmas! If need more assistance I suddenly forgot where I placed my man card and know nothing about broke down cars and offer to call someone for them if they have the number, I don't have a phonebook they can use. Keep my distance and get back inside, locking the door behind me.

OR

Let them knock and go on thinking I'm not home, if they come on in I'm armed so it's gonna be their problem.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Through the door tell them they are welcome to use the hose by my front door. Do not open the door. Ensure gun is in my belt.

Extremely suspicious since my house is about 1/2 down the block and well off the main drag. Unless I know the person I am questioning why they stopped in front of my house. They had to pass three auto repair places before even getting into my subdivision.

Give them the number to AAA.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foamx View Post
    Through the door tell them they are welcome to use the hose by my front door. Do not open the door. Ensure gun is in my belt.
    This^^^^

We don't get too many cars on our block that don't belong to the people who live here or belong to people who are visiting the people who live here. I would expect that if one of the visitor's car broke down that they would go directly to the persons house that they know.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Senior Moderator
    I shoot through the door with my 12ga.....It is a well known zombie tactic to use the old "car breakdown" scam to get inside your house to eat your brains.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I bring them a jug of water while my wife watches my back. If the wife isn't there, I'll just call the fire department and say there is a car about to start on fire at XYZ address and answer any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I tend to help more than fear. I've been in the "Hood up; steam rolling" situation and was very grateful for the help I received. I choose not to live my life in fear or paranoia. Cautious, yes; fearful, no.
    Well said

Re: Car out on street, hood up, steam rolling out from open hood, KNOCK KNOCK

Me? I'm a helper, too. But, I'm armed. And wary.

I think it's a shame that this world has changed to the extent it has...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Depends on if I'm finished reading the new threads on DC or not as to whether I help or ignore.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

RAL
    Are you sure it's steam? I grabbed my fire extinguisher and ran once to help put out a fire under the hood of a semi across the street.

I'd help but then I pray and I have 2 large dogs as backup.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    Help the guy out, cant live a life of constant worry.Mind you I have a knife in my pocket and probably got my gun on my hip already. Maybe not the gun, definitely the knife.

+1. I NEVER OC but would in that situation and go OUT to look things over, but NEVER let him in.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links