Where can I carry with my ccw

This is a discussion on Where can I carry with my ccw within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of getting a ccw and am wondering where I can and can't carry. I'm talking laws not policies. Law is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Where can I carry with my ccw

I am in the process of getting a ccw and am wondering where I can and can't carry. I'm talking laws not policies. Law is no carry in gov building, policy is no guns at school... Which we are exempt. We can carry at schools

The only places we can not carry legally are government buildings, anywhere that the main service is alcohol, as in a bar. Although you can be in a restaurant with bars. Handgunlaw.us this site has given me plenty of info. Check it out, and welcome to a small portion of the population in our beautiful state!

*These are not the end all be all, just ones I am sure of. Check laws on the website and maybe CA DOJ website.
    357and40 and Arborigine like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

You will have to check the laws of your state, municipality as they vary. A good place to start is Handgunlaw.us

Sarge

Sorry, BigJon, posted the same time as you
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Carry, in California?

Good luck with that.

Many of us do...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Didn't say you couldn't, just said good luck with it.

Found this interesting link:
    Where Can('t) I Carry? - CalCCW

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnmanca View Post
    I am in the process of getting a ccw and am wondering where I can and can't carry. I'm talking laws not policies. Law is no carry in gov building, policy is no guns at school... Which we are exempt. We can carry at schools
    It has been a handful of years since I had my California CHL, but ... When I had mine (1990's and early 2000's), the basic restrictions applicable were denoted in the relevant CHL statutes, and the county sheriffs could specify any additional restrictions they deemed appropriate for their community. My CHL had those additional restrictions imprinted on the reverse of the CHL itself. Looks like the statutes still indicate this is the case.

For starters, take a look at HandgunLaw.us/states/california.pdf. It'll indicate many of the relevant CA Penal Code statutes you'll need to be aware of. Many of the basic restrictions are listed here. Of course, the standard federal ones exist as well, including: no fed buildings, no restricted/secure areas of airports.

Then, head to the CA Penal Code, and call up those specific statutes to get the full picture.

Specifically, look at CA Penal Code 26200:

CA PC 26200. (a) A license issued pursuant to this article may include
    any reasonable restrictions or conditions that the issuing authority
    deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place,
    manner, and circumstances under which the licensee may carry a
    pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon
    the person.
    (b) Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be
    indicated on any license issued.

Strong recommendation: Pick up a copy of the book by John Machtinger, How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail (CA). It'll help make sense of the comparatively-confusing morass that is California law regarding firearms and the use-of-force.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Carry, in California?

Good luck with that.
    Sure. It's only bad "luck" if one lives in one of the never-ever-issue counties with anti-gunner sheriffs. MANY counties in California are very different from this, in practice. Live there, then the CHL is good for carry everywhere in the state where it's lawful to do so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    The highlighted one to really watch out for. The way it reads, if you take an aspirin or OTC cold medication, technically they could nail you for carrying afterwards.

While exercising the privileges granted to the licensee under the terms of this license, the licensee shall not, when carrying a concealed weapon:
    Consume any alcoholic beverage.
    Be in a place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption.
    Be under the influence of any medication or drug, whether prescribed or not.
    Refuse to show the license or surrender the concealed weapon to any peace officer upon demand.
    Impede any peace officer in the performance of his/her duties.
    Present himself/herself as a peace officer to any person unless he/she is, in fact, a peace officer as defined by California law.
    Unjustifiably display a concealed weapon.
    Carry a concealed weapon not listed on the permit
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    What County are you in? I am in Calaveras, and know a few Firemen with CCWs. Basically, keep your weapon out of the post office, or any Gov't building, and some public meetings I can't define without research. The firehouse is questionable, based on local rules and if it is community, state or federal.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

In every jusidiction I'm aware of, you are given literature when you receive your permit that contains this information. Some even print it on the permit itself or on the application materials.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Schools--remember the schools!!! Not state law but FEDERAL law!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Not sure what the current numbers are now but I wonder what the CCW count is up to here in California. Thunder71, as far as what you posted there, a lot of those places you can carry legally. It's not against the law and gunbuster signs don't carry the weight of the law here. Not that I see very many of those anyway. Places like amusement parks and other places that scan and search for weapons upon entry, well it's not against the law but you will be asked to leave and you must or face trespassing charges.

With many other CA gun laws aside, if you are lucky enough to at least live in an area where they issue the license, then the CCW laws are actually not too bad as far as where you can or can't carry. I'm lucky enough to live in one of those areas in regards to CCW and have no restrictions on my license.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Schools--remember the schools!!! Not state law but FEDERAL law!!
    Actually I believe it is a combination of both. Carrying at schools is legal in Utah, and I believe Colorado. If state law forbids it, then I believe federal "school zone" takes effect.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links