Do I really look like an easy target?!

This is a discussion on Do I really look like an easy target?! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This sounds like a normal day in the big city. Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Do I really look like an easy target?!

Re: Do I really look like an easy target?!

This sounds like a normal day in the big city.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

Don't beat yourself up about it. Nobody can be perfect in every situation every time, or be on high alert 24/7...your head will explode or something. You went home without a problem, safe and sound. You got some good feedback. Consider it a learning experience and now you can move on. I think you did fine.

Easy target?????

03.jpg
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I work in a large jail and its pretty much guaranteed that I will meet former inmates out in town. I got some good advice from an old guard early on. He said when you meet them be first to greet them, make eye contact, and it will take away all their power. Fear and being unsure of what to do in your situation is what gave you that sinking feeling. Had you spoken to him from right at the door of the subway would give you a couple of advantages. He no longer needs to follow you, he can say what he needs to from a distance, and hes fully aware that you have seen him. It also lets you set boundary's with out being a jerk. It lets you be in control of the situation. In your situation He may or may not have had anything more on his mind than some spare change. But he was doing his best to control the encounter.

Lets say things were different, and you are in a crowded lunch room and you want to control who may sit near you. if you want them to sit near you smile and look up at their faces. if you have decided that you don't want them near you, Make sure they cant see your upper face and especially your eyes. Ill pull my hat down, or put on sunglasses. not being able to see your face while they think you may be able to see them will send most people looking for somewhere else to sit.

practice a little with co workers. while riding an elevator pull your hat down and see who will stand next to you.
    The main thing is this guy was able to make you uncomfortable and used it to his benefit. You can use the same tactics against him next time. DR

I grew up in some of the worst parts of Pittsburgh (most of which were in or surrounding downtown, how surprising), so I'm used to the streets. I know the games, gimmicks, plots, etc. and how to spot them. I'm not saying that I can recognize everything but there isn't much I can't pick up on.

I study body language and behavioral science as a hobby (and soon will be going back to school) and have witnessed it all my life, just as you, I, or anybody else has. We've all seen it though environments may differ. If I identify somebody and observe them exhibiting certain "tells", I mentally go into defensive mode. As they approach me, I initiate contact. Whether it be eye contact, something to the effect of "Yes?", "What?", or whatever. It's not confrontational but also lets them know that I've noticed them and that I'm not intimidated.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    My take? DO make eye contact - Say NO, and keep on walking.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I would have aimed the Sub at him and said come any closer I'll launch a torpedo
    oldnfat likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Really good discussion, thanks JasonJ for sharing your encounter. Gave me some options to handle a similar situation. Thanks to all who responded. I will be ordering the two books mentioned.
    Pistology and EastCoastMojo like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Thieves, if desperate enough, will rob someone built like an NFL linebacker.

Never trust your good looks (or bad looks) to get you out of trouble.

When someone approaches me - you can always tell with that "look" - I don't let them get close. I hold out my *left" hand palm first, discretely move my right hand in my pocket (if pocket carry) or place it near 5:00 if OWB, and I state "not interested." If he's a beggar, he moves one. I don't know what happens if he's a thug. Maybe I've already stopped one. I don't know, and hopefully I never find out.

GH
    When you're carrying ALWAYS keep your gun hand free. I realize you weren't carrying at this time but get in the habit. Leave one hand free. There should be no problem to carry the sub & your keys in your non-dominant hand. That's something I learned a long time ago. I've seen people walking to their car with quite a load, all in one hand & the first thing I think is "he's carrying". The next step, hopefully done at the same time you're training yourself to hold everything in one hand, is to draw your firearm several times. It won't be a surprise to you that there has to be adjustments each time you're wearing different clothes. In my case I often carry while wearing a short zipper jacket & a sweat shirt underneath. I either keep the jacket unzipped with the sweatshirt tucked behind the gun & holster or the jacket zipped in colder weather & the gun at the appendix position, shirt tucked behind it. A quick partial unzip & a reach inside & the gun is in my hand. I always make sure my weapon is handy & reachable without having to got through contortions & half undressing to reach & draw it.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Easy target?????

03.jpg
    Doesn't look like there's much to rob....

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I work in a large jail and its pretty much guaranteed that I will meet former inmates out in town. I got some good advice from an old guard early on. He said when you meet them be first to greet them, make eye contact, and it will take away all their power. Fear and being unsure of what to do in your situation is what gave you that sinking feeling. Had you spoken to him from right at the door of the subway would give you a couple of advantages. He no longer needs to follow you, he can say what he needs to from a distance, and hes fully aware that you have seen him. It also lets you set boundary's with out being a jerk. It lets you be in control of the situation. In your situation He may or may not have had anything more on his mind than some spare change. But he was doing his best to control the encounter....

... The main thing is this guy was able to make you uncomfortable and used it to his benefit. You can use the same tactics against him next time. DR
    This is some good advice!
    I'm a minister who have spent quite a bit of time on the street dealing with hard cases. If you think contact may be coming, it is a good idea to acknowledge the person in some way. (The situation will dictate how.)

One thing that has worked well for decades is asking the person approaching you if they have a few minutes to talk to you about JESUS. (Of course you need to know about HIM should the guy take you up on the offer.)

-

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    This is some good advice!
    I'm a minister who have spent quite a bit of time on the street dealing with hard cases. If you think contact may be coming, it is a good idea to acknowledge the person in some way. (The situation will dictate how.)

One thing that has worked well for decades is asking the person approaching you if they have a few minutes to talk to you about JESUS. (Of course you need to know about HIM should the guy take you up on the offer.)

-
    That's actually a very good idea! DR
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Just my $.02 and as others have said, size and/or appearance isn't as important as how you handle the situation. Whether you look like an easy target or not, you can't handle yourself as if an easy target. As already mentioned, be the first to say something. I tend to say, "Can I help you?" even if I don't mean it. If they want something, the answer is no regardless of whether I can help them or not. The point is to have them speak up and to also let them know I see them coming. If approaching from the side or rear, I turn to square up, change direction, . . . whatever the situation/location dictates. Point is, I face them, acknowledge them, and keep moving. I'm also reading their body language such as the location of their hands and the like.

Also, just my humble opinion, but a gun shouldn't be your only solution to a problem of aggression. I always carry pepper spray in my front pocket and I would have had my hand on it, ready, just in case. If on the other hand, their hand(s) is behind their back, hidden, or something of that nature, then I get ready to go for my gun. If I don't have my gun (hardly ever the case), then I'm going to spray and fight since it's all I can do. I'll try to avoid the situation first, though, if at all possible with first talking to them as mentioned in the first paragraph.

This is the spray that I carry and have given to every member of my family:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/164...elt-clip-black
    PEF likes this.

Too much philosophy and sociology. You did everything wrong. You are lucky you did not meet a monster...this time. Read Jeff Cooper. Tells you what is what.
    BaldSasq likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links