Do I really look like an easy target?!

This is a discussion on Do I really look like an easy target?! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you are an easy target, the gun isnt going to change that. Thats in your head, which is the problem....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Do I really look like an easy target?!

If you are an easy target, the gun isnt going to change that. Thats in your head, which is the problem.
    kb2wji likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    As soon as he approached.....you should have said.....Hey Buddy, can you spare some change ? Works everytime......they leave.
    Ya know you could have told him "Far Enough" in a stern voice.....but really, that's why you have a CCL.....don't you ?
    Unless, as in my case my employer forbids weapons in their buildings and vehicles, so I'm F'ed.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
    .....that's what she said.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    What you look like has little to do with how bums act. Most of them are bums because they lack the ability to think normally, whether through genetics, upbringing, or chemistry experimentation. They DO understand fear, but it's not my job to provoke it unless they earn it.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Re: Do I really look like an easy target?!

Take control of the situation as soon as possible. Make eye contact, acknowledge them and be assertive about it. If they step in too close, its ok to take a step back, but maintain eye contact and do it nonchalantly...so as not to look like your frightened. Also, don't square off with them. It can be misunderstood as posturing.Casually turn your shoulders to a 45 degree angle to theirs. It also frees up your dominant hand. This is what I do, and I never have an issue.

OTOH, I think averting your gaze, and pulling your hat or hoodie down limits your vision, thereby reducing SA. You never know if they are alone or not.

Bottom line is, I refuse to tiptoe through life with my eyes fixed to the ground as though I am fearful of everyone around me just to avoid confrontation. I'm no bada$$, but I stand firmly on my own two feet.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    BaldSasq likes this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    One thing that has worked well for decades is asking the person approaching you if they have a few minutes to talk to you about JESUS. [I](
    -
    That'll send me runnin
    Arborigine and BaldSasq like this.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I dont rely on just my CC for protection. For year I never carried and had issues a few times. Find a friend or neighbor that has had some military hand to hand combat or look into some local classes, and become used to carrying a Tactical Pen, Pens are legal ANYWHERE! LOL And they serve as a nice aid out of a bad situation!
    Pistology likes this.
    Wife: Why do want to carry a gun all the time everywhere we go?
    Me: To protect you and the kids, keep myself safe, protect others if needed, and to express my love of my Constitutional Rights.
    Wife: Awwwwww OK <3

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    If someone starts to appoach you and either by the way they look or their demeanor, makes you feel uncomfortable or threatened then take
    appropriate action.

Make eye contact, create distance (I don't mean run away) and get ready to act if necessary. If nothing happens and you offend them by your actions so what?

If something does happen and you are ready to defend yourself then good for you and bad for them.

Don't let yourself be suprised!!
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Maybe a really sinister looking facial tattoo would make you look scarier? LOL Just kidding of course. I don't live in a big city by choice, but I'm a large guy, and I get approached by panhandlers from time to time, when I do wander into New Orleans, or sometimes here on the MS Gulf Coast. Most of these folks don't mean you any harm, but just want to see if they can get a little change/money from you. Keep your situational awareness up, watch their hands, and be respectful. You can either give em some money or not, but if you do it in a respectful manner, you'll not have a lot of problems with them. They'll go out of their way to mess with you if you disrespect or belittle them. I saw a quote on this forum the other day that really applies here, and I'll paraphrase it "Nothing wrong with being nice, but it doesn't prohibit you from getting nasty when need be". Good luck & be safe.

The fact that you saw & recognized his approach puts you MILES ahead of most folks. Cell phone addicts & text divas are the gravy targets. Panhandlers & assault-minded felons could dress-up like The Big Bad Wolf and still escape their notice. Your awareness is your first ring of defense, push it out as far as possible!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

In fantasy land: Pop the trunk with your key FOB, when he is startled by the trunk pop deliver a palm strike to the throat, crack his knee sideways with your foot and push him as far away as you can while you retrieve the firearm from your trunk for protection. Of course, the problem here is that it would be impossible to prove self defense since the guy really didn't do anything.

In reality: I would have stepped back to put distance between us or at least told him to step back. Just don't put your hand out and say get back, that allows them to take control of your limb if they want to. I hate situations that are boarderline like this.....tricky.

Krav Maga is the best training I know of for this close encounter...IMO.

At 5'9 and 215, your either a power lifter or a bit heavy. When I was 6'1 and 245, I carried myself differently then I do now at 6'1 and 195. Being in better shape can help a lot in a fight, if you can get to your weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    In fantasy land: Pop the trunk with your key FOB, when he is startled by the trunk pop deliver a palm strike to the throat, crack his knee sideways with your foot and push him as far away as you can while you retrieve the firearm from your trunk for protection. Of course, the problem here is that it would be impossible to prove self defense since the guy really didn't do anything.

In reality: I would have stepped back to put distance between us or at least told him to step back. Just don't put your hand out and say get back, that allows them to take control of your limb if they want to. I hate situations that are boarderline like this.....tricky.

Krav Maga is the best training I know of for this close encounter...IMO.

"Break the finger, break the wrist, break the elbow, break the jaw, smash the groin, break the nose, break the knee, break the ribs, re-stomp the groin, knee-drop the pelvis, kick the head, stomp the head, stomp the back of the neck, re-stomp the groin, and exit out. Then if you have anything in your pockets you can use to hit him, stab him, whatever ..." Enter The Dojo, Episode 1: Welcome To The Dojo - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by JDFan4010 View Post
    At 5'9 and 215, your either a power lifter or a bit heavy. When I was 6'1 and 245, I carried myself differently then I do now at 6'1 and 195. Being in better shape can help a lot in a fight, if you can get to your weapon.
    BAM, hit it right there... when i was at my peak, a collegiate athlete some 10 years ago... 5'9" and 145 lean lbs.. now ive got a good 50lbs of excess fat on me that slows me down.. i am in NO condition to get into a physical fight with anyone close to my size or bigger.

I think too, i should have reworded the thread title.. instead of do I LOOK like an easy target.. i think Do I SEEM like an easy target is more appropriate.

I guess too that the question itself is more rhetorical and a means to express here what happened and how I feel about it... I usually am VERY aware of whats going on around me, I watch people, I watch things.. i anticipate them, play it out in my mind in seconds.. always have.. I think with all of the suggestions here, the key is preparing, training physically but more importantly MENTALLY on what to do with all of that information I gather every few seconds when I am out in public.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
    BAM, hit it right there... when i was at my peak, a collegiate athlete some 10 years ago... 5'9" and 145 lean lbs.. now ive got a good 50lbs of excess fat on me that slows me down.. i am in NO condition to get into a physical fight with anyone close to my size or bigger.

I think too, i should have reworded the thread title.. instead of do I LOOK like an easy target.. i think Do I SEEM like an easy target is more appropriate.

I guess too that the question itself is more rhetorical and a means to express here what happened and how I feel about it... I usually am VERY aware of whats going on around me, I watch people, I watch things.. i anticipate them, play it out in my mind in seconds.. always have.. I think with all of the suggestions here, the key is preparing, training physically but more importantly MENTALLY on what to do with all of that information I gather every few seconds when I am out in public.
    The word is vigilance and as a husband and father (if you are) you owe this to your family.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links