What would you do???

What would you do???

This is a discussion on What would you do??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the scenario, and how we handled it.(true story). My Son and I was in New Orleans so I could play at the Jazz ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What would you do???

What would you do???

This is the scenario, and how we handled it.(true story).
    My Son and I was in New Orleans so I could play at the Jazz Fest in 1991. Our motel room was adjacent to highway 10 and the bridge off of Louisa Ave. When the playing night was over, we headed back to the motel. When I just got out of the shower,The TV was on low,my son had the 9mm out and loaded. The fire exit from our room (ground floor) joined a small plot of ground with a fence separating I-10 and our motel room.

The darndest pounding on the fire door,sounded like someone was trying to kick it in, we both thought robbery.
    We kept waiting for the door to give in,but it held.Didn't have to shoot an intruder, later asked the night clerk if security made night rounds, and she responded "NO, we don't use security after 12". Had it been armed robbers,I'm afraid the coroner would have to make a call to remove the remains. Our clothes was in the motel closet,thereby making it our domain,or living quarters if you will,so having a firearm and using it was legal at that time,according to Louisiana law.

The reason we were armed was we both were carrying around 4k in travelers checks,with cash besides.
    Has anyone else had a story like this happen to them?? Just wondering,it was our good night,never happened the rest of the time we were there,for the 10 days.Even repeated the trip next year,no problems then.
    LOU

A few years ago I checked into a Motel room in South Carolina. Within 5 minutes the phone rang and the person said "We're coming over to get our stuff". I said we don't know each other. 10 minutes later the banging on the door and window started. I was fully armed and told them whom ever gets into the room will never leave I am armed and will shoot. Do you need me to call the Coroner now or later? They took off. Don't know who they were or want to know. It was a sleepless night after calling the front desk to tell them what had happened.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    The country, which is now an asylum, is currently run by its inmates with the chief psycho garbage in charge and it will only get worse. They are emboldened by his rhetoric and his war against capitalism---I can only say that I watch where I go and when I go there and will protect myself and my family and someone will go to hell before I go to heaven.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

What would you do???

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    The country, which is now an asylum, is currently run by its inmates with the chief psycho garbage in charge(snip)
    This is a thinly veiled political statement. It is also a prime example of why I, and a growing number of others, keep saying that it is absolutely imperative that the pro-2A movement divorce itself from the Republican party and its platform. Just because one believes in the right to own and use guns for any reason, including self defense doesn't mean that you buy into the partisan BS contained in your post and all the other nonse spewed by the party and its 'Fux News' propaganda arm. Sorry, but it isn't a case of either or, and this entitlement mentality crap was made up specifically to divide and that is exactly what it is doing.

Happen to me prior to me deciding to carry. It was a rude awakening. To this day, I do not sleep in hotels on the first floor.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    The country, which is now an asylum, is currently run by its inmates with the chief psycho garbage in charge and it will only get worse. They are emboldened by his rhetoric and his war against capitalism---I can only say that I watch where I go and when I go there and will protect myself and my family and someone will go to hell before I go to heaven.
    Yes. Obviously this is all Obama's fault as there was no crime before he was elected President. Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
    rammerjammer and Hopyard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    A few years ago I checked into a Motel room in South Carolina. Within 5 minutes the phone rang and the person said "We're coming over to get our stuff". I said we don't know each other. 10 minutes later the banging on the door and window started. I was fully armed and told them whom ever gets into the room will never leave I am armed and will shoot. Do you need me to call the Coroner now or later? They took off. Don't know who they were or want to know. It was a sleepless night after calling the front desk to tell them what had happened.
    I might have asked for a different room.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Any thought to dialing 911?

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    This is a thinly veiled political statement. It is also a prime example of why I, and a growing number of others, keep saying that it is absolutely imperative that the pro-2A movement divorce itself from the Republican party and its platform. Just because one believes in the right to own and use guns for any reason, including self defense doesn't mean that you buy into the partisan BS contained in your post and all the other nonse spewed by the party and its 'Fux News' propaganda arm. Sorry, but it isn't a case of either or, and this entitlement mentality crap was made up specifically to divide and that is exactly what it is doing.
    I agree with your statement except for one thing...thinly veiled? Not veiled at all is more like it.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUPPK View Post
    This is the scenario, and how we handled it.(true story).
    My Son and I was in New Orleans so I could play at the Jazz Fest in 1991. Our motel room was adjacent to highway 10 and the bridge off of Louisa Ave. When the playing night was over, we headed back to the motel. When I just got out of the shower,The TV was on low,my son had the 9mm out and loaded. The fire exit from our room (ground floor) joined a small plot of ground with a fence separating I-10 and our motel room.

The darndest pounding on the fire door,sounded like someone was trying to kick it in, we both thought robbery.
    We kept waiting for the door to give in,but it held.Didn't have to shoot an intruder, later asked the night clerk if security made night rounds, and she responded "NO, we don't use security after 12". Had it been armed robbers,I'm afraid the coroner would have to make a call to remove the remains. Our clothes was in the motel closet,thereby making it our domain,or living quarters if you will,so having a firearm and using it was legal at that time,according to Louisiana law.

The reason we were armed was we both were carrying around 4k in travelers checks,with cash besides.
    Has anyone else had a story like this happen to them?? Just wondering,it was our good night,never happened the rest of the time we were there,for the 10 days.Even repeated the trip next year,no problems then.
    LOU
    Uh, travelers checks are insured and replaceable. You should have kept the receipt with the serial number somewhere, maybe
    photo it and email it or otherwise store it in the cloud. Then, giving up 4K of checks becomes at most a minor inconvenience
    instead of a maybe go to jail till it gets sorted out kind of thing.

Since you didn't say how much cash you had, I have no idea if it was worth worrying about. While I have been known to
    keep large amounts with me, they seldom add to what the bondsman's cut will be.

As Dustin Hoffman heard said in The Graduate, "plastics."
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    They thought you were a mule.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Hopyard, I can tell you never lost a single travelers check. The issuer doesn't really hand over the amount of the lost/stolen/robbery checks with out EXTENSIVE CHECKING. The reason for such a large amount would be for recording/studio time.Defending my life is more important then worrying about receipts, hanging on a cloud.I'm one person who believes that whats mine stays mine until I VOLUNTARILY relinquish any item I own. Being robbed makes the perp being placed on OPEN SEASON as far as I'm concerned.Any way who says the bg will only stop at taking the money. A whole lot of grieving family members are left thinking WHY DIDN"T MY SON/ family member SHOOT?? As for plastic, interest rates are not a one time fix per purchase so that cost doesn't interest me. (Play on words).Ever try and line off the checks you used, when hundred-s miles from home. ? [I] had to sign ,re- sign, and again re-sign a lousy $20.00 travelers check at the bank in N.O. cause their excuse was "the signiture didn't match my signiture on my drivers license". Any way thats what happened and I thought my thought process was prudent at the time. LOU

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "the signiture didn't match my signiture on my drivers license".

My signature is never the same twice. Sometimes I can't even make it out. My daughter says either no one can forge it--or anyone can.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "the signiture didn't match my signiture on my drivers license".

My signature is never the same twice. Sometimes I can't even make it out. My daughter says either no one can forge it--or anyone can.
    Fortunately mine mostly looks the same but I think there are only two actual letters in it anymore. For some reason over the years, the D in my signature has developed into what looks more like an 8.

In general my handwriting is awful. I am left handed and one day I had a coworker ask me if I actually was left handed or was just trying something new.

Hey, I was there that year! I was stationed in Pearl after that and haven't been back except for a couple of Mardi Grais since. Loved going to Jazz Fest!

Good job on not opening the door. I'd advised calling the cops (911) in addition to alerting the hotel security. Nawlins' is a bad enough place on any given day of the week but the big events bring out the best of the worst. Other than choosing a ground floor room (which during Jazz Fest may not have been possible) I'd say you did the best you could given the circumstances.

Although I'm not a native of the Big Easy I grew up in South Louisiana and have a clue as to what goes on there. Keeping your SA up is paramount and goes hand-in-hand with remaining sober. Eating the food there it's pretty easy to stay sober....... you end up too full to over-indluge.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links