REAL:Woke up to the "Front Door Open" sound 5:13 this morning.... - Page 2

REAL:Woke up to the "Front Door Open" sound 5:13 this morning....

This is a discussion on REAL:Woke up to the "Front Door Open" sound 5:13 this morning.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am glad your situation was a non-event! Does your alarm system have an "instant" setting? My ADT system has three primary settings that my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: REAL:Woke up to the "Front Door Open" sound 5:13 this morning....

I am glad your situation was a non-event!

Does your alarm system have an "instant" setting?

My ADT system has three primary settings that my family uses every day:

"OFF"- Self-explanatory.

"AWAY"- Used when leaving the house. All door and motion detectors fire instantly, expect front door, which give you 45 sec to enter code when coming home before alarm activates.

"INSTANT"- Used when sleeping at night. All detectors are active, and give no warning prior to alarm. We use a baby gate to keep the dog and kids upstairs, plus it serves as a visual reference that the alarm is "on" for us.

Our only true "false alarms" happened when a bad replacement battery made a motion detector act schizophrenic.

Take Care!
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; December 11th, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

"[REAL:Woke up to the "Front Door Open" sound 5:13 this morning....]"

Glad everything turned out OK,,, I'm ussually on my second cup of coffee by that time ; )

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    I am glad your situation was a non-event!

Does your alarm system have an "instant" setting?

My ADT system has three primary settings that my family uses every day:

"OFF"- Self-explanatory.

"AWAY"- Used when leaving the house. All door and motion detectors fire instantly, expect front door, which give you 45 sec to enter code when coming home before alarm activates.

"INSTANT"- Used when sleeping at night. All detectors are active, and give no warning prior to alarm. We use a baby gate to keep the dog and kids upstairs, plus it serves as a visual reference that the alarm is "on" for us.

Our only true "false alarms" happened when a bad replacement battery made a motion detector act schizophrenic.

Take Care!
    This^^^^^

Always set your alarm on "instant" when at home whether you are asleep or awake. Get in the habit of turning your security system on and off every time you enter and exit your home.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I get up at 6 am for work so the timing was not so bad.

We use our security system every day. It does have a stay mode however it disables the motion alarms. We use the away mode at night so the motion alarms are active.

My plan is to hold the fort until the Leo shows up. Response time is a couple of minutes. I have a really nice choke point. The entire stair case and kitchen hallway. There is no cover at the bottom and lots at the top.

The drawer in question houses the following:

Sig sauer p250 9mm 2x15 round mags
    Walther ppks 380 4x7 round mag
    S&w full size 38 special 6 shot with 5 speed loaders
    Beretta 950 jetfire 25 with 1x8 round mag

If that fails we back into the closet where the big guns live...

My wife's job is to get the kids. Then get back to the closet.

I picked up at Sams Club a two pack of GE motion LED night lights. They plug directly into the wall socket with a dim night light and when it picks up motion nearby the bright light comes on for about a minute. This light would assist your vision of the downstairs area, maybe one near the entry door if you have an available outlet. I'm very happy with the lights.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Hope you were wearing your brown pants...

If not, then you ended up wearing brown pants...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

You know its funny, absolutely no fear or anxiety until after the incident was over. The juices were going but felt very collected until it was over.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    You know its funny, absolutely no fear or anxiety until after the incident was over. The juices were going but felt very collected until it was over.
    Not uncommon at all sir... you did well.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I went through something very similar awhile back and can easily relate. My alarm siren did go off and I'm here to tell ya, it's a different ball game not being able to hear yourself think because of that blairing siren.

It's an experience and eye opener as you just discovered. Mine went off around 3:00 A.M. and we couldn't go back to bed until well after sun up because of the adrenaline rush.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TailRunner View Post
    I picked up at Sams Club a two pack of GE motion LED night lights. They plug directly into the wall socket with a dim night light and when it picks up motion nearby the bright light comes on for about a minute. This light would assist your vision of the downstairs area, maybe one near the entry door if you have an available outlet. I'm very happy with the lights.
    Yes, and these sorts of stand alone items give you a kind of validation test on any other alert you might be
    receiving. Motion sensors are so inexpensive these days that adding them to rooms -- as you suggested-- is
    a great way to avoid a "heart attack." You can also add extra stand-alone glass break indicators for about $2.50 each.
    Then, if your main alarm and the extra glass break detectors or the motion sensors simultaneously are alerting
    it still could be an electronics failure or interference (if you are using wireless technology) but there is a
    good chance it is the real thing. Whereas if only one alerts there may be no danger at all.

For the OP, I really think these false alerts are good for you for the reasons I stated above in an earlier post.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

LOL!!! Adrenalin is a ***** huh?! I posted something similar to this story about 3 weeks ago that happened to me except it was a cockroach that set off a motion detector in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    LOL!!! Adrenalin is a ***** huh?! I posted something similar to this story about 3 weeks ago that happened to me except it was a cockroach that set off a motion detector in my house.
    To the OP, you did well! Glad to hear it was a false alarm. slidewayz240, a cockroach?? That must have been a hellva cockroach?! I might have shot it!
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    I posted something similar to this story about 3 weeks ago that happened to me except it was a cockroach that set off a motion detector in my house.
    Now that's a sensitive motion detector!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    glad everyone is ok and that is not right that those sound the same... very poor april fools prank.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by DooSPX View Post
    To the OP, you did well! Glad to hear it was a false alarm. slidewayz240, a cockroach?? That must have been a hellva cockroach?! I might have shot it!
    Lol yes. South Carolina has mutant palmetto bugs.
    daddysgirl likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links