REAL:Woke up to the "Front Door Open" sound 5:13 this morning....

This is a discussion on REAL:Woke up to the "Front Door Open" sound 5:13 this morning.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 5:13 this morning I am woken up by the sound my home alarm makes when you open the front door. It is a sharp double ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: REAL:Woke up to the "Front Door Open" sound 5:13 this morning....

REAL:Woke up to the "Front Door Open" sound 5:13 this morning....

5:13 this morning I am woken up by the sound my home alarm makes when you open the front door. It is a sharp double beep. There is a 30-45 second delay until the alarm goes off.

My homes floor plan is very well laid out for home defense. I have 3 bedrooms upstairs and the staircase is in the center of the home with an open foyer. You can see down the stairwell from all bed room doors. there is a dim night light at the bottom of the stairs, but none at the top. so you can see the first few steps clearly in the dark.

So back to 5:13AM. I hear the beep and am immediately woken up. Look over, wife is in bed asleep. I am not sure I actually heard the beep at this point but I proceed to the drawer and retrieve the 9mm as well as the flashlight and cellphone on top of the dresser. The adrenalin starts pumping as soon as I rack a round. I peek down the stairwell. I walk around the stairwell to the kids room. Both kids accounted for. I have now verified the location of all friendly's in the home.

Still looking down the stairwell I start to make my way to the best tactical position around the far side of the stairwell where I can see the nightlight. I hear the second warning set of beeps. I am now sure what I heard and the alarm is primed to go off in about 10 seconds. I take position at the top of the stairs and wait for the alarm to sound.... This feels like an eternity.... I literally felt like I could have watched a full length feature film in the time it takes for the alarm to sound.... Adrenalin pumping, flashlight in hand (Off) and 9mm facing down the stairwell waiting to see if any one comes into view.... Then finally....
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Another set of sharp beeps??!? that's not right?! I know it goes off after 2 warning beeps. I tested this.... I start to panic a little. I set the flashlight on the railing and pickup my cell phone to call 911.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    As I unlock my phone I notice a notification from my alarm that says "Notice: The battery backup for your panel has failed. Please contact technical support"... OMG! WHY WOULD YOU MAKE THE "Front door open" and the Low Battery sound the same?!

I proceed down the stairs with caution and check the doors. all locked.... clear the notification and sit on the bottom step while the adrenalin works out of my system.... I definitely did not need any coffee this morning that is for sure....

Moral of the story: Adrenalin sucks! Keep your home defense guns as accessible as you can. I am fairly sure I could not have tied my shoes in that state. Never mind work a safe's combo lock and load a magazine.

2. Remove Ads

I'm glad for you it was a false alarm and not the real thing.
    Supraman762 and nerdyvirgin like this.

Good luck going back to sleep after that. It's good you have a solid plan laid out though in the event of an intruder. I might suggest maybe waking up the others in that scenario? I imagine gunshots wouldn't be the best wake up either.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sounds like you had a good tactical plan though, so for good for you. Glad everything worked out well, other than the adrenaline dump. :)
    Supraman762 and MASSIVE like this.

I thought about waking the wife up to get with the kids however when I left the bed I was not sure I heard the beep or I had a dream. once I was sure about the beep I was fixated on the stairs and did not want to leave the tactical position. this all took place in the course of 30 seconds or so...

Besides, the alarm would have woken them up, not gunshots.... Well potentially followed by gunshots.... That is far less traumatizing, right? :)
    EastCoastMojo likes this.

mkh
    Sounds pretty good except for the part where you had to rack the slide.

I know you have kids in the house but having one in the chamber at all times is probably a better approach.

I keep the mag full, guns empty. my daily carry sleeps in the drawer with the slide open. click in the mag, drop the slide closed and you are ready to go. the other guns are empty with loaded mags nearby. there is a lock on the drawer however it is a logical lock. it requires you to press 2 buttons at the same time that are out of reach for a 5 year old and 2 year old. one on the back/top of the dresser (5.5 feet tall) and one under the lip on the top drawer. I am not comfortable keeping the guns hot just in case however my DC only goes in the drawer after the kids are in bed so I guess it does not really make a difference. Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Sounds pretty good except for the part where you had to rack the slide.

I know you have kids in the house but having one in the chamber at all times is probably a better approach.
    I think his approach worked just fine. He reduced the threat of ND or accidental shooting in the event his children managed to get a hold of the gun yet was still able to quickly and effectively bring his gun into action for use in self defense. I completely understand the other side in that it could turn out very badly if his security system failed or if the BG gained entry to the bedroom before he woke up but life is a game of risks...weigh risks from all perspectives and act as you see best for you and your family.
    Paymeister and EastCoastMojo like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Kids in the house is an issue, but how about racking the pistol before you go to bed and having it immediately available and ready to go just in
    case.

In the morning eject the round in the chamber, put it back in the magazine and secure your weapon.

Repeat the process every night. That way you KNOW exactly what you have to work with, exactly where it is and that it is primed and ready to
    defend your family.

I don't have the "kid's in the house issue" anymore, but when any of my grandkids are visiting I unload my weapons (upstairs and downstairs)
    before they arrive and put them out of reach.

If they are spending the night I go through the process I outlined above.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    These sorts of incidents are a blessing in disguise. First you learn that the most common reason an alert sounds is
    a mechanical or electronic failure. Second you get to rehearse for the real deal. Third, next time it happens, and it will,
    you won't have quite the same adrenaline reaction. After a few more you will just go through the drill calmly but prepared for the worst. That is a much better mental situation to be in than the "oh my G-d its happening now," I have to run in circles,
    result that occurs the first time up.

Just don't become complacent and completely ignore the alerts. All these unintended practice alerts will prepare you well for the
    real deal.

I had two completely separate and independent alerts start repeatedly sounding for the same room the other day. Now that isn't supposed to happen except for the real deal. But, having been through some of the unexpected I just calmly checked the security camera on that room, then proceeded to check the room calmly with gun in hand as he security camera doesn't get 100% of the room and yes, someone really might have been hiding in there.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing wrong inside.

There had to be some electronic interference that set everything off as the problem has not repeated and it is now a few days
    later, with no new alerts from either detector.

False alerts really are beneficial in their own odd way, if you don't suffer a coronary the first few times.
    EastCoastMojo and BlueHawk76 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

It's absolutely amazing what you'll learn between the "what if?" theory and the "oh ****!" reality. I once learned that the (expensive) red-dot sight on my social shotgun when black in my dark stairwell because it thought the cover was in-place and shut down for battery life! And, like my lesson, I'm glad yours didn't turn out to be real on-the-job training!

The lesson? Train, practice, train, practice,...repeat.
    EastCoastMojo and Hopyard like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I agree however my go to gun is stored open slide. That way I know the chamber status when I pick it up. Once the mag is slid in the slide closes and we are hot. I like this for multiple reasons and I am already in this habit. I like the options though. Thanks for the comments. Keep em coming.

Sounds to me like everything you planed for worked for this false alarm. The dump afterwards does impeed sleep but the lesson is imprinted.

Bravo Zulu!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    I keep the mag full, guns empty. my daily carry sleeps in the drawer with the slide open. click in the mag, drop the slide closed and you are ready to go. the other guns are empty with loaded mags nearby. there is a lock on the drawer however it is a logical lock. it requires you to press 2 buttons at the same time that are out of reach for a 5 year old and 2 year old. one on the back/top of the dresser (5.5 feet tall) and one under the lip on the top drawer. I am not comfortable keeping the guns hot just in case however my DC only goes in the drawer after the kids are in bed so I guess it does not really make a difference. Noted.
    Thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense than the way it was originally described. You did good.

Glad things turned out as they did.

I'm 65 years old. I'm in no shape to clear my home, nor am I so inclined, unless I know for a fact that there are in fact, intruders inside... how many there are... where they are... are they armed... and how are they armed. Too many unknowns. From our bedroom at the top of the stairs, the stairway becomes a choke point, which I can easily control with the arms I keep in our bedroom. LEO response is just a few minutes, and I can deal with that, as the dogs will have already sounded the alarm, and come to us. Everything downstairs is replaceable/insured. Family members are not. I can protect them better in a defensive posture.

I'm of the opinion that what you have for a plan, isn't nearly as critical as having some sort of a plan. The time to realize that your initial objective was to drain the swamp, is NOT when you're up to your ass in alligators.
    Hodad likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links