Mall Shooting What Would You Do? - Page 3

Mall Shooting What Would You Do?

This is a discussion on Mall Shooting What Would You Do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by slidewayz240 Depends on my location to the subject... if I was in the immediate area I would engage... I refer to the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mall Shooting What Would You Do?

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    Depends on my location to the subject... if I was in the immediate area I would engage... I refer to the immediate area as anywhere within 10-15 feet of this guy. If im on the other end of the food court or mall for that matter... its time to get out of there.
    So, let me understand you... You would, with a knife (or several, which is what the OP is limited to (not able to carry a firearm)), engage a guy with an AR15 if he were within 10-15 feet.

So, you are confident that the "Tueller drill" in this case, will work in your favor, since you're the guy with the knife.

Do I have that right?
    carracer likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    So, let me understand you... You would, with a knife (or several, which is what the OP is limited to (not able to carry a firearm)), engage a guy with an AR15 if he were within 10-15 feet.

So, you are confident that the "Tueller drill" in this case, will work in your favor, since you're the guy with the knife.

Do I have that right?
    Haha no, i was refering to myself, in the OP's case i would get the hell out of dodge... Sorry, should have made that clear.

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    Haha no, i was refering to myself, in the OP's case i would get the hell out of dodge... Sorry, should have made that clear.
    I kinda thought that's what you meant...

But let's go a little further here.... If you're within 10 - 15 feet, you are going to draw against his leveled weapon? He reportedly had body armor on (I doubt it, but that's what some of the reports say).

Or does that only apply if your at his back, side, or otherwise out of his visual contact?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Let the police do their job unless my or my family were in danger. The likelihood of being mistaken for a bad guy because you want to play cop is pretty heavy.
    If cops come running in, I certainly don't want a gun in my hand.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    OODA. Observe, Orient, Decide, Act.

This applies whether you are armed or unarmed. Always go into a defensive mode.Unless you are directly threatened DO NOT enter the fight.

Try to exit the area by the safest route possible at the time.
    Once you and your family are out of harm's way dial 911.
    Report specifically what you have seen and heard.
    If you have the opportunity, provide the best info you possibly can to the LEO's on site who are handling the situation.
    Approach them at an appropriate pace. with your hands clearly showing, driver's license in one.
    If they tell you to stop. STOP!!
    If they give you permission to approach keep your hands visible and walk toward them.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Me I'm calling Gecko45 on my subethernet encripted watch radio. He'll most likely repel down from the ceiling, toss a flash bang at the bad guys feet and take him out with a kungfu spinning drop kick. Gecko45 doesn't waste ammo on a single gunman unless he's firing a belt fed machine gun.

Seriously though it's a sad thing that he took two innocent people out before he put one through his own head. I wonder if he was also carrying a handgun. I suppose it's possible to shoot yourself with an AR/M16 in the head, just not as easy as a handgun to the temple.
    Billb1960 likes this.

Great! we got an OODA looper... close cousin to the oompah loompah.

Not that anything you said was wrong, Hodad... It's just that Observe. Orient. Decide. Act. is what EVERYBODY does all the time. From the moment they get up in the morning.

Making it conscious, actually, only slows it down... in the case of an active shooter... let your mind go... quit thinking about it.

JMO, YMV.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Some very good posts, all good food for thought.

Couple things to clarify, I was not at this event but could have been. Never ever would I try to engage an active shooter, or any threat for that matter, when I am only armed with a knife. I'll leave that to Rambo. The what if scenario was only if I had no other option.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    You are right oakchas, but I think you will agree that refining your natural instincts is what seperates the pros from the amateurs.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Me I'm calling Gecko45 on my subethernet encripted watch radio. He'll most likely repel down from the ceiling, toss a flash bang at the bad guys feet and take him out with a kungfu spinning drop kick. Gecko45 doesn't waste ammo on a single gunman unless he's firing a belt fed machine gun.

Seriously though it's a sad thing that he took two innocent people out before he put one through his own head. I wonder if he was also carrying a handgun. I suppose it's possible to shoot yourself with an AR/M16 in the head, just not as easy as a handgun to the temple.
    Clearly the best solution. Hunker down and wait for the Mall Ninja to arrive.

Re: Mall Shooting What Would You Do?

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I'd be leavin'.................asap.
    What he said.

I'm not trying to be a hero. Keeping my Family safe comes first.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links