Mall Shooting What Would You Do?

This is a discussion on Mall Shooting What Would You Do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the actual news story that happened today: Clackamas Town Center shooting: 3 dead, including shooter; 1 seriously injured | OregonLive.com My wife's wedding ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mall Shooting What Would You Do?

Here is the actual news story that happened today:

Clackamas Town Center shooting: 3 dead, including shooter; 1 seriously injured | OregonLive.com

My wife's wedding ring was expected to arrive between today and friday, which could have placed us on the ground floor, directly underneath where the shooting took place at around the same time.

I have been mulling over options of how best to have protected my wife and 6 month old son had we been in that situation.

I think what I should have done (had we been there) is immediately put my wife and son under cover. I would then place myself under cover in between the threat and my family. Once I had identified where the threat was coming from (upper floor right above us) I think we could have had a clear escape path, unseen by the BG through the ground floor of macy's. I would have stayed along the perimiter walls and proceeded to the nearest exit, keeping an eye on possible BG's and safe places to duck into should one appear (dresing room, bathroom etc)

My situation is unique in that I cannot carry or posses a firearm. (long story its been discussed on this forum before) So I am limited to a knife (usually multiple) and situational awareness.

I guess I am just curious as to what some other options may have been. In a gun vs. knife confrontation, are there any methods to gain the advantage when you have the knife? Obviously the first choice is flee or hide. The only thing I can think of to gain an advantage would be to remove the distance factor and use the element of suprise. Hide behind cover, crouched low and as the BG comes round, strike upward hard and try to disarm and stab.

I'd duck into a store and head to the back where there are usually exits into hallways leading outside.

In short, get out of danger. Or, stand my ground and fight.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If not in the immediate area of the shooting, bug out however I can. Nicegy described good methods.

If in the shooting zone, get family members down and under concealment (cover is unlikely in stores). Since I would likely be armed, prepare to engage the BG. Fluidity of the situation would affect further actions.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I believe your plan is sound, but your best option is to "put some yonder" between you and your family and the incident. Get away as quickly and directly as safely possible. If you know something that can help the police (location of shooter, number of bad guys, weapons observed, etc) contact the police once you are safely away from the threat. You should also be mindful of what the first responders will see, when they arrive to take on the bad guy. Knife or gun, unless you have figured out a way to identify yourself as a "good guy", you risk the very real possibility of being viewed as "the" threat when the responding officers encounter you. It's a common problem for plain clothes and/or undercover officers, and every year there are "blue on blue" incidents. As a retired LEO, I have options that don't exist for a citizen with CCW. Probably the best course of action is to holster/conceal your weapon, up to and until you have no choice as dictated by the scenario, or the cops ask for your assistance (and don't get your feeling hurt if they don't ask. :) Always good to have a plan. When/then thinking is SMART!!! Be safe.
    TVJ likes this.

My first reaction would be to head for one of the service corridors. Everybody else will be heading for the exits. Anchor stores in a mall will have their own loading docks. The smaller shops receive their merchandise through the service corridors. It should get you away from the shooter and put some concrete and hollow block between you and the rounds being fired.

On edit, how to find service corridors when everyone around you is in a panic situation? Make a mental note when you pass doors that are marked "Authorized Personnel Only".
    Last edited by Gene83; December 12th, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    You have your family with you, its time to get some long gone distance from shooter. It is not brave to take a knife to a gunfight!!!!!!!

Some early reports indicated the man was carrying an AR-15 rifle, the semiautomatic, civilian version of the fully automatic, military M-16. Both rifles fire the same high-powered cartridge.
    The military M16 is NOT fully automatic. It can be set to either semi-auto or 3 round burst.

Now the M249, that's a different matter entirely.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Let the police do their job unless my or my family were in danger. The likelihood of being mistaken for a bad guy because you want to play cop is pretty heavy.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Any situation is situation related why you have to keep and have a thinking mind. Shoot the SOB to the floor (if you are in the same area as the shooter), get down and hold your area or get out the best way possible (do your moving inside with gun hidden as much as possible but still ready for action and be ready to follow orders when you walk out the outside with your gun in hand or be shot) so think about that once you are at the door to go outside. Or if you want to play mister cool go looking for him.

Just remember if LEO has arrived they are look for anyone with a gun in hand.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Let the police do their job unless my or my family were in danger. The likelihood of being mistaken for a bad guy because you want to play cop is pretty heavy.
    That's always a concern when you choose to get involved in a shooting with a crowd of panicked people around. The other danger is that one of your shots hits someone other than the bad guy. Obviously, if you're backed into a corner and it's you or him, then you have to do what is necessary. But usually, if there is an escape route available, that's your best choice.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Most ground level stores have an outdoor entrance through the stores back room. I'd make use of it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Sounds like you did what you could. One reply that I agree with has to do with preemptive situational awareness. Wherever I go, I make sure I know where all the exits and other accessory doors and opportunities are possibly available to me as I walk thru the mall or literally any store or theatre. As far as gun vs knife, I think Indiana Jones explained that as well as anyone.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    The military M16 is NOT fully automatic. It can be set to either semi-auto or 3 round burst.

Now the M249, that's a different matter entirely.
    The M-16 must have evolved since I fired it in the Southeast Asia War Games about 40 years ago. It was full-auto then.

In the OP circumstance...I would find cover then try to evade. If shooter entered my area, I would have to engage.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    The M-16 must have evolved since I fired it in the Southeast Asia War Games about 40 years ago. It was full-auto then.

In the OP circumstance...I would find cover then try to evade. If shooter entered my area, I would have to engage.
    My issued M-16 was fully auto also in 1977.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    The military M16 is NOT fully automatic.
    The one they gave me was! Three settings, safe, semi, and full.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links