How to Spot an Armed Man in a Crowd

This is a discussion on How to Spot an Armed Man in a Crowd within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe that you either have to be trained to observe or train yourself. Most people aren't trained. I'll see people open carrying in my ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: How to Spot an Armed Man in a Crowd

I believe that you either have to be trained to observe or train yourself. Most people aren't trained. I'll see people open carrying in my store. I'll turn to another associate and ask "Did you notice the guy that just walked passed with the gun?" Their reaction is a panicked "Gun? GUN? Where??? Where???" He walked right passed them and they never noticed.

Even when they do notice, if it happens quickly and it's completely out of place, their mind will convince them they really didn't see what they think they saw.

"Nah, I didn't just see a guy walk by carrying an AR-15 and wearing a hockey mask and flak jacket."
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    •Pants with out loops, but subject is wearing a belt
    How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    How does that work?
    And who has time to be looking for belt loops? Black pants, black belt, and you're looking for that 1/4" wide strip of fabric on 6' of dude?

Ok, I'll admit a "man size" 1.5-2" wide belt on a woman might be a good indicator, but sheep don't notice these things.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Im a tad doubtful of bringing a ball point pen to a gun fight but Im weird that way.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Hey I always wear loose and baggy clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by blanco64 View Post
    I remember reading something shortly after 9/11. The Israelis told us (regarding airport security) something to the effect of "You conduct your security by looking for weapons. We conduct our security by looking for terrorists." It's not the fact that a person has a weapon, it's what they intend to do with it. That's the hard part to figure out. Probably a fair number of law-abiding concealed-carriers fit the descriptions above. Hopefully we can somehow figure out "yeah, he/she's carrying, doesn't seem to be a threat" and move on to someone more pressing.

Can't say I know the answer though.
    I agree with the bolded part.

Maybe a simpler way of putting it is guns don't kill people; people kill people.

I don't want to get off topic but this is one reason I never have an issue with someone who OC. The BG might worry about him/her but not me.

I'd dare this guy to spot someone carrying something like a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    Hey I always wear loose and baggy clothing.
    And I'm forever fiddling with something on my belt..................OH WAIT! That's my ROSCOE I'm always fiddling with!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Realistically though...

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't frequent malls very often. When I do I have my hands full just trying to find the store I want to visit and try not to get lost and what way to get out just to find my vehicle. I get lost!

Much less the overwhelming task of the mass of bumper to bumper humanity trying to maintain a condition "yellow" approach. IMHO, you're not going to notice anything out of the ordinary until you hear that unmistakable sound of, "bang, bang, bang".

The only exception is sexy women in skimpy cloths the wife doesn't see you looking at.

With that said, tell me, condition "yellow" is actually condition "boner" as you look at all the candy in the store? Or am I off base and need to be looking at all the sales flyer's in the store fronts?
    I see an awful lot of [B]you[B] in me Dennis. While reading your post I got a real good chuckle with that last paragraph.
    For starters I really can't recall the last time I was at the huge Mall just 20 minutes from me. Say 6 years ago around Christmas for a present for the impossible to shop for.

I learned a way long time ago the hard way to park behind the Sear's store ALWAYS. The back lot is never full so I can park close to the entrance. Going into the store takes me past the hand and power tools department (where I often would linger) and soon I'm in the main walkway heading for my destination which is about 10 minutes away.

By and large there were just 2 stores there where I would go, Sear's mainly for specialty tools for my job. There was just one other reason to head for the Mall and I will get to that soon.

Like Dennis said there's just way too many folks at a Mall to try and watch everyone and still get your shopping done. So I just try to remain vigilant, get what I went there for and get back to my truck.

As Dennis mentioned there's just one other reason for me to go to the Mall. That's right guys...all those perty ladies in those skimpy tight outfits. And for me Condition Yellow really is the strong possibility of Condition Boner. When my shopping is done I try to spy me a bench with an excellent field of fire so to speak. Then I just set down my weary bones and gaze and gawk and try not to stare too much or appear as tho I'm the Big Bad Wolf searching for my dinner.

Anywho while the young ladies are fun to look at I'm just no match for them. Older women are more my style but so many are jaded or just plain outta my league. I admit to that and am OK with it. Well...maybe OK ain't the word. More like resigned to my fate. I've been a bachelor all my life. Oh well tho lonely at times at least my life is uncomplicated most of the time.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links