Critique My Actions Last Night

This is a discussion on Critique My Actions Last Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Josh, you acted inappropriately. Your CCW, college classes or whatever "experience" you think you may have is not enough for you to act as a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Critique My Actions Last Night

Administrator
    Josh, you acted inappropriately. Your CCW, college classes or whatever "experience" you think you may have is not enough for you to act as a LEO. If you were to have got yourself in a confrontation at the truck or other location, you would have been up a creek with no paddle.
    The fact you slept with two handguns and a shotgun suggests you have some maturing to do... I don't mean this negatively, I just hate to see well intentioned people get hurt or sent of to jail because they thought they were trying to do the right thing.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    SIXTO,

Sir, with all due respect and upon further meditation of my actions, I do not believe that the pistol had anything to do with it. I was doing this before I carried, since I could drive.

The only reason I sleep with loaded guns in the room is because my room is a secure place. I've made it a saferoom with the only entrance/exit being a reenforced door with a good lock. If I had a safe in the garage all but my nightstand pistol - and perhaps the .22 rifle as I live in the country - would be locked away.

Thank you for your input sir.

Josh <><

Wait, I apologize. You're referring to falling asleep in the recliner.

I had my primary and secondary on me and decided the shotty might be a good idea. I turned on the television and fell asleep unintentionally.

Josh <><

Administrator
    Josh, I think you missed my point. I don't care if you sleep every night with whatever gun you saw in a movie under your pillow, its your pillow. Safe room is always a good idea. I don't care where you slept. It just seems a bit excessive to be armed with three firearms. Are you expecting a platoon of NVA marching through your bedroom? If something did happen, would you be able to keep track of and control of all three firearms? Speaking from experience, I doubt it.

The way you described your actions outside your home, it paints the picture that you went looking for the trouble. Not a good idea. Again, your CCW does not make you an LEO, John Wayne, or any hero of the day. It simply means that you have earned the right to carry in a public place. The whole CCW thing is still on shaky ground, we don't need bad publicity about a bad shoot. You don't need jail time (or worse) for acting outside of your boundaries.

peacefulljeffery hit the nail on the head, good post jeffery.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 18th, 2006 at 06:22 AM.

SIXTO,

All my guns are loaded, and currently the shotgun is by the bedroom door.

When the firearms are not on me they are locked up. So yes, I believe that with my backup in my pocket, my primary in its holster, and the shotgun in my hands, I'd have a decent chance of keeping ahold of all of them.

Let's switch this around: Knowing what I knew in the first post - that I'm a auto tech who will help out if I see a car broken down (by definition I'm in a hazardous business), that there have been breakins and vandalism along this stretch, and knowing that a plate number and vehicle description might help catch wanted persons, what would you have done?

(As a quick aside, perhaps is does sound like I was looking for trouble, but I assure you, that was not the case. Trouble seems to find me well enough.)

Thanks for your concern sir,

Josh <><

Administrator
    Here is what I would have done regarding the broken down truck...

I would have taken down the plate, taken note if it was occupied or not, and called it in. If I was concerned about criminal activity, I would have headed home to protect my interests. Key here is, I would have kept moving. The act of protecting my interests, simply means that I am home. No parades showing my hardware, business as usual, just a little more aware.
    As for the home situation, I need to ask if the problems in your area are home invasion type robbery or a burglary?
    If you did use your firearm (s) in your home, I think you will have a hard time showing you were acting as a prudent citizen. You had three firearms on you? You paraded around your yard to show your firepower off? Josh, a good lawyer would have a field day with you.
    I doubt this was a matter of you trying to help a out of luck motorist, if it was, why did you post the story here?

Lead Moderator
    I think all that needs to be said has been. No use
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links