Critique My Actions Last Night

This is a discussion on Critique My Actions Last Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I had a little bit of excitement last night. The row of houses, ours and our neighbors', have been random targets of burglary ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Critique My Actions Last Night

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Hello All,

I had a little bit of excitement last night.

The row of houses, ours and our neighbors', have been random targets of burglary over the years. My family has been lucky so far; last time I noticed something suspicious I paraded around the property with a wicked looking shotgun (actually a dressed up large cap Mossy 500) for a few days. The neighbors' house got broken into instead. Hey, I warned 'em and they didn't take me seriously.

Anyway... I got home from college at about 9:00pm last night. I decided to do my homework over a drink (decaf coffee, guys!) so I went to a stop'n'rob where there would be some on tap.

I came back home at around 2:00am IIRC, maybe a bit earlier.

Getting to my house is strange anymore. You have this:
    <___________US24__________>
    H________________|_____H____H_________>

You turn off 24 onto a T road denoted with the | symbol. The H's are houses.

Going east, very shortly, I came upon a pickup sitting off the road before the first house. This was odd as there was no place for anyone to go from there.

I hit my brights, locked my doors, and pulled up behind the pickup. Not being able to see anyone inside through the heavily tinted windows I called the sheriff's dept. It was raining, and I figured anyone stranded would be keeping shelter, but nobody seemed to be there. It was in a prime spot for a getaway should a break-in occur as well. Suspicious to me. Dispatch asked me about the vehicle. Since they know who I am they asked me to exit my truck and see what I could find on the pickup. I gave them an over-detailed description, including beer cans in the bed and an estimate, judging from rainwater on the tread but not the sidewall, and the dying warmth of the motor, that it had been sitting there for 30-45mins.

During this time I did my best to keep from being silhouetted against my truck's lights, and I had my large Maglite out. Because I wasn't 100% certain of the vacancy of the truck I approached at b pillar and confirmed.

Dispatch thanked me for my description and said they were sending out a deputy, and that I didn't have to stick around.

I went and checked on the house, then drove to a gas station they could have footed it to, and upon finding nothing there, I went the opposite direction. No dice, so I went home.

As I was walking into the garage I flushed a rabbit. I drew and swore at the same time, my finger left the frame, entered the trigger guard, and I almost got to see what a 124gr +P EFMJ would do to nocturnal wabbit. But, I ID'd my target and held my fire -- didn't even touch the trigger but had my finger against the front of the trigger guard like I'm disengaging a Garand's safety, like I've been training. (Incidentally, I think of this as stages 3, 2, 1 and 0. 3 is alongside the frame or trigger guard, 2 is inside the trigger guard, 1 is on the trigger, 0 is firing or in the act of pulling the trigger).

Suffice to say, I was pretty excitable with less than the optimal amount of sleep and the knowledge of stuff that tends to happen around here at times. Response was about an hour away as well, so I figured I was pretty much on my own. But a rabbit? Eh.

I went inside, grabbed my shotgun and the backup cell that I use as an alarm clock, and fell asleep in the Lazy Boy with the shotty in condition 3 beside me, backed up by the two pistols I already had on my person. If anyone came a'knockin' Ol' Abraham Stinkin', the black lab, would be sure to let me know... as long as they didn't have food. Traitorous dog. :)

On my way to class this morning I saw the pickup still sitting there, so I figured it's just dead. After all, it's a Ford :)

I figure it's not a threat now, but last night, man, excellent cover for a robbery. Fog, rain, the works.

What did I do right, and what did I do wrong?

Josh <><

Kudos for being careful and a good citizen, but your inner mall ninja is starting to show. ;)

Lead Moderator
    Personally , I would leave the LE work to them. Patrolling your property alone is a good way to get in trouble. Also aproaching a vehicle is a bit dicey. what if they come up on you as you are inspecting the vehicle?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Sometimes what to do, what should I do, etc. can be a tough call. It reminds me of the discussions about if you hear a suspicious sound in your house, do you "hole" up and call the police or go investigate. Either could be right depending on what it was.

Having said that, in your particular case, I agree with Rocky's comments.

A bit of backround: I am an auto tech who travels some... I do almost all repairs roadside. I was kinda' hoping for a job... But I really didn't expect one.

Personally , I would leave the LE work to them. Patrolling your property alone is a good way to get in trouble. Also aproaching a vehicle is a bit dicey. what if they come up on you as you are inspecting the vehicle?
    One deputy is on patrol in this (fairly large) county on weeknights, two or three on weekends. We're expected to take care of ourselves out here, and he's expected to take the reports.

I had a decent field of vision and it wouldn't have been easy to sneak up on me. I was also on the phone with city dispatch. Funny but city can get backup out here faster than can county - they're closer.

We have a very good citizen/LEO working relationship in the county.

I really don't understand how patrolling my own property is a good way to get in trouble? Not that it's my wish to harm anyone, but it's my property, not some druggy's, and we recently had a "make my day" law passed here to put into writing a lack of duty to retreat, or a right to defend, whichever way you look at it.

In other words, the citizens are kinda' becoming our own private law here.

Lots of crooks held at gunpoint in Wabash. Most don't even make the news anymore unless it's high profile.

I guess I look at it this way: I'm more interested in protecting my assets than is someone in uniform who gets mere money. I'm definitely not knocking the LEOs; they're great, but reality is reality.

Josh <><

Oh, and, please forgive the ignorance... but what is a "mall ninja?"

Thanks,

Josh <><

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly I see sleeping in the lazy boy with shottie beside you a bit far out there . But to each of us our own level of paranoia . Also i would not have driven anywhere to look for the occupents of the vehicle , once i established it was empty . Other than that while keeping in mind that each incident is a judgement call to be made on the facts avalable at the time , I think you did fine .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Looking for trouble(even on your own property) and you may well find it. What do you do if lethal force is not needed? What if a second BG sneaks up behind you?
    While I would drive around looking for possible BG's , I would report to PD if I did see them, not intervene. Having been trained as an LE, I can say, searching an area alone (especially at night) is a bad idea.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Oh, and, please forgive the ignorance... but what is a "mall ninja?"
    Here's a link. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=2621171 Please understand that my use of the term is meant as light-hearted "joshing", it's just that your post sort of reminded me of the stuff gecko45 used to post on Glocktalk. Peace.
    Last edited by Dan M.; October 11th, 2006 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Messed up the link

How do you know that the truck didn't belong to some gal's boyfriend? Maybe he parked it there because he didn't want anyone (spelled parents) to know that he spent the night. (I used to do that back in the '60s)
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Amlevin,

On the flipside, how do I know it didn't belong to those breaking and entering, damaging mailboxes, etc?

It was an unknown that I wanted known.

All,

I read that mall ninja stuff. Funny :D However, it's just not me. Even before I had a CCW I would stop and help people by the side of the road, or call in an abandoned plate, etc.

Usually though I like to mind my own business and be left alone. I'll do what it takes to be left alone in peace, and I figure it sometimes takes an effort to get people to let ya' be.

Josh <><

I try to keep a very low profile.
    I want to know where the bg is, before the bg even knows I exist.
    Last edited by steve_db; October 11th, 2006 at 06:13 PM.

Its easy to play monday morning quarterback, but I wouldn't driven anywhere to look for the drive. I would have gone home and hunkered down.

Scout,

That's the best course of action and one I wrestled with. It was cold and raining in Northern Indiana last night, and though I promised myself I wouldn't pick up anymore hitchhikers after one bad apple turned up, I couldn't in good conscience leave a person out there... especially if the person was elderly or frail. I went looking soley on the assumption that the truck was broken down and an old person with a walker was shuffling down a country road looking for shelter.

In this day of cell phones, maybe I shouldn't worry about such things, but I still know older gents who don't believe in them.

Josh <><

Dan, Thanks for the Mall Ninja Link, that thing should stay up as a sticky!

I laughed myself to tears picturing that guy in his golfcart with all of that armament.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links