Drone shooting?

Drone shooting?

This is a discussion on Drone shooting? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spotted this intreguing video linked from a page from another story. It begs the question, what shotgun load is best for bringing down small, armed, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Drone shooting?

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar

Drone shooting?

Spotted this intreguing video linked from a page from another story. It begs the question, what shotgun load is best for bringing down small, armed, drones?

I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Considering the size of the drone depicted in the video I would think number 2 or 4 shot would be effective. Now if the drones get a bit larger then you may want to move up to OOO or OO buckshot for more penetration.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    The overall potential implications of these DIY drones and their use by BGs is pretty disturbing. Personally, I'd go with #8 or #9 birdshot.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Technically they are not drones, they're UAVs, but anything that will break off a prop blade will cause it to vibrate to pieces.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Most any shotgun round will take out the propeller on one of those. If you want to take out camera, I'd go with 000 or 00 buckshot.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I'd go with #4 or #6 shot
    1 old 0311 likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Administrator
    Although the premise is admittedly a little silly, I'd imagine any load will do. I wouldn't worry about hitting a prop as any control surface will work just fine.
    43hertz likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just curious: is this not getting close to breaking one of the forum rules about giving advice to a possible activity? Shooting at RC planes/helos, even flying over your propeerty may be against the law. test cases have already been settled out of court with the RC plane owner being the victor.

Just saying....
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Administrator
    My other hobby happens to be radio controlled aircraft, and with the advent of micro electrics and lipo batteries, most of my flying is done from my backyard, and subsequently over my neighbors.
    I took this thread more of a curiosity rather than advocating illegal activity.
    suntzu likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Someone posted elsewhere a trap shoot with remote controlled airplanes, (basically flying wings) with the little exploding targets on the bottom of them. Seemed like they were able to make several passes until someone may have been lucky enough to hit the engine. I'm sure they were probably using #8 or very close to it. I would say the bigger the lead, the better. I'd go with 00.

I'll try to find the link. Looks like fun too.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I wasn't advocating an illegal activity such as shooting at someone's innocent spy drone, unless it is armed and you have to defend yourself. In a SHTF scenario you may want one of these with its own weapon to defend your property, but until that day it is probably illegal and dangerous. Might be fun for feral pig control in Texas, though. My thought was if an armed drone is buzzing around and is a threat, what will take it down? Even if the guts are armored the props are what keep it airbourne, small birdshot ought to do the job with a better pattern than buckshot, but the drone target video does not support that.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Rock salt on the operator

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Rock salt on the operator
    LOL. That'll do it.

(How high can these things fly?)

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My other hobby happens to be radio controlled aircraft, and with the advent of micro electrics and lipo batteries, most of my flying is done from my backyard, and subsequently over my neighbors.
    I took this thread more of a curiosity rather than advocating illegal activity.
    My God! Not only does Sixto know all, now he sees all!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Spotted this intreguing video linked from a page from another story. It begs the question, what shotgun load is best for bringing down small, armed, drones?

Good luck getting any sort of armament on any of the small UAV's. They have enough trouble staying up without the added weight.

I imagine anything that interferes with the control surfaces or props would do the job. Although, I think 8 or 9 shot might be a bit light.

Also, most of the small UAVs are probably going to be able to fly high enough to render shot useless.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links