Picking up hitch hikers?

This is a discussion on Picking up hitch hikers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long ago I would have picked up a hitchhiker, but no more. The bad ones ruined it for the rest. That's the way most innocent ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Picking up hitch hikers?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Long ago I would have picked up a hitchhiker, but no more. The bad ones ruined it for the rest. That's the way most innocent things end.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    If they are just choosing to hitchhike, I will not pick them up. A broken down vehichle or someone stuck in the snow may be a different story depending on the entirety of the circumstances. I have helped a few people out to get gas, or get into town, etc. because I would hope that someone would stop and help me if I was in a bad spot. But I am definitly particular about when and who I would stop for. If it doesn't feel right, I trust my gut.
    Walk softly ...

No not in todays world.. Many reasons, to close in the car for one.. Secondly If this person is on dope he and you happen to get pulled over, he most likely will through the dope on your lap.Now you have a gun and dope on ya.. No thanks... To many bad things can happen.. Its ashame if its someone down on their luck but, Hell no

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Sad, that we must live with all this distrust.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Sad, that we must live with all this distrust.
    Game animals have been doing this since prey animals got the scent. It's just that "civilized" man ceased the normal tactic, some while ago. IMO, it's just a matter of dropping the charade and accepting that instincts and preparation matters ... as it always has. In that sense, it's not something that takes any pains to "live with." It just works, if we simply quit the delusions and PC posturing. It's in us all, if only we're willing to pay attention to it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I never pick up any hitch hikers and each time I see a hitch hiker I think of Aileen Wuornos. This woman killed at least eight men that gave her a ride.
    Doesn't make it right, but I believe the men were also looking for a 'ride'.

Do I pick up hitchhikers? No!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As far as I'm concerned, it's foolish in the extreme to pick up hitch hikers. I don't care how you rationalize it to yourself, it's still foolish, and a dangerous thing to do. Even if you are armed.

Have I done it? Sure, but it's been a long time ago that I last gave a person a ride. At least 12-15 years ago. Does it suck to be stranded on the road? Yep, it sure does. I've been stranded myself.

Today, almost everyone has a cell phone, and I always have mine so the most I'll do is call local police or highway patrol and have them send someone to "check the well being" on person at the side of the road. Or if it's obvious they have a broken down vehicle, I'll call and specify there's a "stranded motorist who needs assistance." You don't even have to stop and interact with the person in order to do that. Just make the call and a LEO will go check on them.

That is more than enough of a "good deed" for me to perform. Let the police handle it. It's what they're paid to do, and much safer for everyone. Plus, I'm not completely ignoring them.
    aus71383 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have hitched all over this country in the 50s and picked up hitchers in the 60s. We now live in a different world and most law enforcement agencies say don't if you think some one is in trouble dial 911 and let them look into it. I would never pick some one up

VIP Member
    Heck no! Why on earth would I place myself in a vulnerable position with a complete stranger?

Hitchhikers are why I carry. Years ago a guy tried to hitch a ride when I stopped for gas and when I said no he became irate. He was standing only a few feet from me, screaming and yelling.

I've got no sympathy for hitchers.

Car ran out of gas? Keep the tank full.
    Need a ride? Pay a fare on public transit.
    Down on your luck? That's what happens when you rely on luck.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

30-35 years ago I would and have given people a ride, but today no.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I don't do it. If you're doing it and feel you're safe because you're armed, then you're taking refuge in false security. A passenger can stab you quicker than you can un-holster, never mind un-holstering while driving!

For you guys that think its cool to pick up a pretty girl, consider this; this is a stranger that you don't know. She could say anything after you have dropped her off. She could report you for rape/attempted rape or anything. Just because its a total fabrication, it doesn't mean the story doesn't have to be checked out. You could find yourself in a world of trouble because some lunatic/compulsive liar has decided to tell stories for whatever reason. Good people have bad things happen to them for doing good things.

Bark'n makes an excellent point about people having cell phones. Its best to avoid interacting with people you see on the side of the road and if they look like they need help or you're concerned for their well being then call the police. I have called the police more than once for people I have seen either on the road or on the side of the road.

Nope...no.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Just as many others have mentioned. In the 60's and early 70's I hitchhiked all over the place as a hippie teenager. I met all kinds of interesting people. For the most part it was safe. Nobody ever bothered me or propositioned me. But these days any female who's hitchhiking, isn't, and any guy who's hitchhiking is usually crazy or on the lam.

It is a very rare situation when I would pick someone up these days. There are occasions, someone is broken down and you can verify it, that sort of thing.

I have thought it would be fun to ride the rails sometime, but now that I'm an old lady, I'd need a porter to carry my bags, and my idea of roughing it is a room at the Marriott instead of a suite.

Oh - PS - food for thought. My uncle (long dead) was once a traveling salesman in the midwest back in the dust bowl days. He was driving along somewhere in Oklahoma and picked up a hitchhiker. Turned out the guy had a gun and robbed him and stole his car. So hitchhiking has always had an element of danger.

NOPE! If I don't know that person, I will not pick him/her up. If the stranger stabs with you a decent size knife first, your chances of drawing your gun and using it is probably ZERO!

In the 50s I used to pick up hitch hikers because it was a cheap way for people to get around. In the 60s it was becoming more dangerous to do so, I quit picking up strangers. Probably the best reason was I got married and I was not going to endanger my wife.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links