Picking up hitch hikers? - Page 4

Picking up hitch hikers?

This is a discussion on Picking up hitch hikers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Years ago I picked up few hitchhikers. And Ive gotten rides when we broke down a couple times. But that was then and this is ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Picking up hitch hikers?

Years ago I picked up few hitchhikers. And Ive gotten rides when we broke down a couple times. But that was then and this is now. Unless I absolutely know someone I wont pick them up. Theres just to much riff raff and meanness goin on and you cant be to safe.
    Sandpiper likes this.

I have done it once. I was with my then girlfriend and we came out of the store. A average looking joe came up to us and gave some story about needing to get to his wifes work to pick up her car as his truck is broke down. The place he wanted to go was only about 15 min drive down the road. I only had a regular cab truck at the time and it was warm out. I told him to get in the bed of the truck. After we are underway I told my GF to watch him. I told her he does anything that was a threat that I would sling his butt out of the bed. But no issues and he offered me gas money but I told him it was ok. Never have done that since.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    If they are just choosing to hitchhike, I will not pick them up. A broken down vehichle or someone stuck in the snow may be a different story depending on the entirety of the circumstances. I have helped a few people out to get gas, or get into town, etc. because I would hope that someone would stop and help me if I was in a bad spot. But I am definitly particular about when and who I would stop for. If it doesn't feel right, I trust my gut.
    I'm pretty much the same way. Somebody trudging away from a bus stop in the pouring rain loaded down with grocery bags, I might offer a ride. People just hitchhiking on the side of the highway? No way.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Just out of high school, heading to college orientation at college. Of course this was in the days before GPS. I am about 5 miles outside of college town. I have no idea where the college is or where I am going. I see two guys walking/hitching towards town. The look to be college age so I figure they can tell me how to get to registration building.

I pick them up, and ask them if they are students. First guy says "No, I am on the way to an appointment to see my parole officer."

Yikes! Anyways I give them a ride, they point me to the college and I drop them off at a liquor store to buy some beer before they go to the parole officer.

I think that was the last time I picked up a hitchhiker.

I've read all 49 posts on this thread. Mrs. Ghost Tracker would hug every ONE of y'all for agreeing with her about a very contentious subject in our otherwise tranquil, almost utopian, marrage. She gets madder than a bag full of hornets every single time she finds out I've picked up a(nother) hitchhiker. She fusses, then she fumes, then she lectures, then sometimes shouts, occasionally cries & then begins the pitiful pleading of a soon-to-be widow...and then gets MAD all over again. As a result, I've tried to keep these happenings rather, uh...covert.

Ladies & Gentlemen, here it is in a nutshell. Go read Matthew, Chapter 25 - Verse 40. I am a rusty ol' hard-assed redneck. I have been in jail in four different countries on three continents. I have done things and been places that I hope & pray y'all can't even imagine. I wasn't a follower into these vile, dark places but, rather, led the parade for 15+ years. I have inflected dreadful tragedy upon folks and they have, as well, to me. I do not deceive myself into believing that there is anything good or righteous about me, no not one thing.

But I've come to believe that human beings are only capable of two emotions, with all other thoughts & actions being merely a sub-set of one of these two. All we have is love & fear. That's it. That's all there is to pick from, one...or the other. No halfway, no mitigating circumstances, no clever loopholes. Just those two. I've come too far & enjoyed too much of the first to ever, EVER tolerate being pushed around by the second. So I'm not afraid of hitchhikers, or the weather, or mass murders, or (certainly not) the Grim Reaper. It's not that I'm inordinately brave, I've just never been hardwired to be afraid. It doesn't cross my mind any more than, sayyy...wishing I was a Radio City Rockette* (*if you were to see my bald dome & sturdy frame you'd more understand how funny that is!).

So yes, I still pick up hitchhikers. Not all, not without discretion, not blind to the possibilities. I have also taken them to lunch, given them my last dollar, handed over sweaters & coats, donated them my instantly-shucked shoes & socks, paid for their motel room, driven hours out of my way & prayed over their continued safety. Because someday, someone I love just might be in a tough spot & in dire need of someone, ANYone who's not afraid to help 'em. If that can't be me, I sure hope there's someone like that swiftly...heading their way. If you're ever upside down in a certified scatstorm, don't you hope that as well? How can you wish (pray?) to get something that you...won't give?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Pray, worship, thump the Bible all you wish, but I'm no longer picking up hitchhikers. I'll make a call for assistance if needed, but strangers no longer ride with me. Balme that on today's society.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Pray, worship, thump the Bible all you wish...
    You're right, I mentioned one scripture & prayer twice. I didn't mention worship at all. Thumping? IMHO, that's just your own flippant hyperbole. Funny you would choose those few mentions to make your case for justifying fear. Then toss the "blame" on "today's society". Are we not all still members of "today's society"?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    IMO if someone really needs a ride they won't mind riding in the back of the pick up. I have picked up people 4 or 5 times in my life and they always go in the bed of the truck. Nobody really needing a ride has ever complained about riding in the back.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I hitch hiked and picked up rides in the 70's, until one day a buddy of mine and I picked up a hitchhiker early one evening. Within a few blocks we were surrounded by squad cars, cops with weapons drawn and they are dragging the guy out of the back seat. Apparently he had just escaped from the county mental health facility. We got our you know whats chewed off by the Sargent on the scene. Scarred the living daylights out of us. Never did it again, LOL
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    IMO if someone really needs a ride they won't mind riding in the back of the pick up. I have picked up people 4 or 5 times in my life and they always go in the bed of the truck. Nobody really needing a ride has ever complained about riding in the back.
    Kinda' like I've never heard a hungry person complain about...the food?

Sad part is, I think there are places that'll get you a ticket!
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I hitch hiked and picked up rides in the 70's, until one day a buddy of mine and I picked up a hitchhiker early one evening. Within a few blocks we were surrounded by squad cars, cops with weapons drawn and they are dragging the guy out of the back seat. Apparently he had just escaped from the county mental health facility. We got our you know whats chewed off by the Sargent on the scene. Scarred the living daylights out of us. Never did it again, LOL
    I think I heard about him. Did he still have the hook on his arm?

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I've personally never picked up a hitchhiker. One of my good friends picked up a guy once and the hitcher became really obnoxious and seemed to be getting aggressive... So my buddy acted like there was a major problem with the vehicle, pulled over and asked if the hitcher could see if the tire was going flat or something. And no sooner than he got out and to the rear of the vehicle, my buddy floors it and takes off with all of his stuff still in there, too!

While often felt to be "the good thing to do", picking up hitch-hikers is at best exceedingly dangerous (even "pretty girls") and in some jurisdictions even illegal.

Better to notify LE or local/state DOT Roadside Assistance, if available, when you see someone on the side of the road needing a ride or help. They can check it out and act accordingly, while, at least most of the time, remaining safe.

In a nutshell, I never do it and act as above.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

mkh
    Nope.

Can't afford a car then walk or take the bus. I'll give you bus fare if you need it but I won't give you a ride.

Too many years as a LEO and too many bad experiences with hitchhikers when I was younger. I know too much to pick up hitchhikers now. Do I miss helping out on people? Maybe. But I'm not taking chances any more.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I think I heard about him. Did he still have the hook on his arm?
    LOL! I swear a true story, we picked him up a few blocks from the Zeller Mental Health facility in Peoria IL. The butt chewin' I got would have made Lee Ermey proud!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links