Picking up hitch hikers? - Page 5

Picking up hitch hikers?

This is a discussion on Picking up hitch hikers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have y'all lived such careful, sheltered, calm, event-free lives that you never could use (needed?) the aid of anyone who didn't already know & trust ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Picking up hitch hikers?

Have y'all lived such careful, sheltered, calm, event-free lives that you never could use (needed?) the aid of anyone who didn't already know & trust you? Damn, we've got thousands of members here & I'm the only one? Congratulations, my friends, for your remarkable blessings. I've been vehicularly broken-down, personally busted-up, cold/wet/hungry, running from certain disaster, rushing into overwhelming odds, outta' luck, outta' money, outta' friends. I guess once you get passed (what you hope is) the toughest parts of your life. Once you have more past than future. You get to decide if your hide is r-e-a-l-l-y so valuable that you'll stop at nothing to preserve it. I've just decided that what I do for other folks I, in the end, do for myself. So y'all be generous or selfish with any/all you choose. Is there no one here who, if parched, would be glad to see me coming...with a full canteen?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Ghost Tracker, few folks today are ever truely stranded since most carry cellphones. I seriously doubt the members here would refuse to render aid to those who truely need it. But in regards to the original question about picking up hitch hikers, most folks are going to err on the side of caution and refuse to oblige. What was once an acceptable practice is no more, and with the direction society is heading, I don't see that turning around. Call it fear if you wish, I call it prudence.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    I've personally never picked up a hitchhiker. One of my good friends picked up a guy once and the hitcher became really obnoxious and seemed to be getting aggressive... So my buddy acted like there was a major problem with the vehicle, pulled over and asked if the hitcher could see if the tire was going flat or something. And no sooner than he got out and to the rear of the vehicle, my buddy floors it and takes off with all of his stuff still in there, too!

Haha this one time I had just gotten of work around 1130pm and as I'm walking to my car this cop comes around the side of the car parked beside me, there's two wasted guys sitting on the hood and the cop asks if I could give these two guys a ride home, they told the cop that they only lived 2 blocks away, I said yeah I guess, and they get in. I ask them where they live and it turns out they live an hour and a half away.all of a sudden they get all aggressive and start telling me they need to get home NOW So I say okay well lets stop and get some beer for the road. ( I don't even drink) they say ok and one gets out to go into the gas station, I act like I forgot to get smokes and then I give the other one 5 bucks and ask him to go get me a pack or ask the other guy to get them. As soon as he got out of the car I threw it into reverse and got out of there.

I've never laughed so hard in my life.
    wishyouwell likes this.

I don't ever pickup hitchhikers nor do i ever hitchhike when im broke down.

Who knows that young kid hitchhiking down the road might actually be "Moonlight" Graham and he may save your daughter from choking on a hot dog!
    atctimmy likes this.

Way back in the late 50s and early 60s I use to hitch hike and I also would pick up hitch hikers. When I was in the Army, it was common to hitch a ride from and to the post/home. Even back then I was cautious about who I would get into a car with or who I would let into mine. A number of times in the late 60s I would paddle a canoe down river for two days, then hitch hike back to the state forest where my car was parked, then drive back down river to pick up my canoe and canoeing partner. I carried a canoe paddle with me and that let the locals in the area know that I was travelling the river and I always got a ride. But that was then, and times are much different today! I no longer hitch, nor would I consider picking up a hitch hiker, no matter how "clean cut" they looked! Ted Bundy looked like a nice, cleancut, young man! I'll call for assistance for someone, but they don't get in my truck with me unless it is someone I know. Unfortunately, times, people, and society have changed--and not necessarily for the better!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I realize the easy answer is "No". Some depends on the type of person you are, location & set of circumstances, no answer fits all. Not as many hitchhikers out there as there used to be. I haven't picked up many lately, did one the last 15 months or so. I have also stopped to help stranded/disabled motorists too.

I have my guard up to about max & have never had a problem. Not that I recommend it for everyone.
    Betty likes this.

Never, ever. Many years ago when my sister was 20 she picked up a guy on a very cold (-10 degrees) day and he stabbed her three times. Never.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    This kind of activity just shoots your situaional awareness all to pieces. Not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    25 minute drive to the bus stop and about 5 minutes into it I stop for a pack of smokes, well he goes in and gets 2 40oz bottles of malt liquor. After polishing those off he says and I quote " da** it's nice to have a window to look out of" so I ask what he means and he informs me that he just got out of prison, he served 21 years for murder and attempted murder. He tells me that he caught his wife cheating on him and that he shot her and her boy friend. I immediately pull over on the side of this back road and tell him to get out, he acts like I'm insane and rolls out of the car and takes off down the road. That was the last time I have ever picked up a stranger. ( I was 19 by the way )

So the whole point of this is to ask;

How many of you guys will pick up a hitch hiker? Does the fact that you are armed come into play when deciding of you are stopping for him? I know this is random but I just want to see what other people think
    Dang; I'd turn around and buy him another 40

No. No matter how friendly they appear.

javier-bardem.jpg

No+Country+for+Old+Men5.gif

Quote Originally Posted by jdf3834 View Post
    No. No matter how friendly they appear.

javier-bardem.jpg

No+Country+for+Old+Men5.gif
    I've seen movies about big sharks, it still doesn't keep me out of the ocean.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I don't think I would do it today. I did when I was younger.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I've read all 49 posts on this thread. Mrs. Ghost Tracker would hug every ONE of y'all for agreeing with her about a very contentious subject in our otherwise tranquil, almost utopian, marrage. She gets madder than a bag full of hornets every single time she finds out I've picked up a(nother) hitchhiker. She fusses, then she fumes, then she lectures, then sometimes shouts, occasionally cries & then begins the pitiful pleading of a soon-to-be widow...and then gets MAD all over again. As a result, I've tried to keep these happenings rather, uh...covert.

Ladies & Gentlemen, here it is in a nutshell. Go read Matthew, Chapter 25 - Verse 40. I am a rusty ol' hard-assed redneck. I have been in jail in four different countries on three continents. I have done things and been places that I hope & pray y'all can't even imagine. I wasn't a follower into these vile, dark places but, rather, led the parade for 15+ years. I have inflected dreadful tragedy upon folks and they have, as well, to me. I do not deceive myself into believing that there is anything good or righteous about me, no not one thing.

But I've come to believe that human beings are only capable of two emotions, with all other thoughts & actions being merely a sub-set of one of these two. All we have is love & fear. That's it. That's all there is to pick from, one...or the other. No halfway, no mitigating circumstances, no clever loopholes. Just those two. I've come too far & enjoyed too much of the first to ever, EVER tolerate being pushed around by the second. So I'm not afraid of hitchhikers, or the weather, or mass murders, or (certainly not) the Grim Reaper. It's not that I'm inordinately brave, I've just never been hardwired to be afraid. It doesn't cross my mind any more than, sayyy...wishing I was a Radio City Rockette* (*if you were to see my bald dome & sturdy frame you'd more understand how funny that is!).

So yes, I still pick up hitchhikers. Not all, not without discretion, not blind to the possibilities. I have also taken them to lunch, given them my last dollar, handed over sweaters & coats, donated them my instantly-shucked shoes & socks, paid for their motel room, driven hours out of my way & prayed over their continued safety. Because someday, someone I love just might be in a tough spot & in dire need of someone, ANYone who's not afraid to help 'em. If that can't be me, I sure hope there's someone like that swiftly...heading their way. If you're ever upside down in a certified scatstorm, don't you hope that as well? How can you wish (pray?) to get something that you...won't give?
    EXACTLY! It may not always be the best decision, but it's one I make as often as I feel is prudent. I've been on the other end way too many times to just pass by without trying to lend a hand. I won't intentionally endanger myself or family, but if I can help I will.

When I was young and dumb, I picked up a few hitch hikers, but I always patted them down for weapons first. I also made sure I was bigger and stronger.

Not doing that anymore.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links