Road Rage in small town Montana

This is a discussion on Road Rage in small town Montana within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We just had a road rage incident here in sleepy little Columbus, population just under 2,000. I cut and pasted the story from the Billings ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 3 Post By Chaplain Scott
  • 1 Post By goldshellback
  • 1 Post By aus71383

Thread: Road Rage in small town Montana

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Road Rage in small town Montana

We just had a road rage incident here in sleepy little Columbus, population just under 2,000. I cut and pasted the story from the Billings Gazette. Our local paper has the additional details that the road-rager stuck a Springfield Armory .45 in the Father's chest and threatened to kill him. In the ensuing hand-to-hand struggle for control of the gun, the gun's owner (the road rager) was shot in his own hand (probably his off-hand) and may have lost a finger. I forsee this bozo doing some jail time. He's lucky that he's not DRT

The Stillwater County Sheriff's Office is investigating a possible road rage incident on Monday night in which one person was injured by a gunshot, apparently from his own gun.

In a statement, Sheriff's Sgt. Chip Kem said deputies were called just before 7 p.m. to a home in the Yellowstone River Ranch subdivision near Columbus by a woman who said a man had followed her husband and son home.

Once at the home, the man threatened the pair with a handgun in their driveway, the woman told deputies. During a struggle over the gun, the man suffered a gunshot wound and left.

"I can say that just the one weapon was involved," Kem said.

The family gave a description of the assailant's vehicle and a license plate number to deputies, who found the vehicle at Stillwater Billings Clinic in Columbus, where medical staff was treating the man for non-life-threatening injuries, the statement said.

The man was later transported to Billings for further treatment. Kem declined to discuss where the man was shot and said he was not in custody as of 1:15 p.m.

Nobody else at the home was injured.

Kem said the man's name won't be released until charges are filed by the Stillwater County Attorney's Office but said investigators believe the altercation started over a traffic incident.

"Preliminary investigations indicate that the incident may have been the result of a case of 'road rage,'" he wrote.

Stillwater County Attorney John Petak was not available for comment Tuesday afternoon.

Read more: Stillwater County authorities investigate shooting, road rage incident
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Dang, shot with your own gun!!

VIP Member
    If the story turns out as printed, I think the person shot has some big problems he'll be facing.
    goldshellback and aus71383 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    He learned a hard lesson.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    He learned a hard lesson.
    My guess is that he will have much harder lessons coming soon.....
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I don't think he will ever legally possess a firearm again once the Courts get done,I'd like to see what he ends up getting charged with
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Another Lefty nickname is born. He just shot more than his finger off. The world is becoming unhinged. Lord help up.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Big metrolopis or small-town, U.S.A....... the stupid are all around us, and they're breeding.

Very dangerous engaging an armed assilant hand-to-hand like that but the victim here was given no choice, and he prevailed. Bravo Zulu!

I dunno what makes people want to go crazy-stupid when they feel they've been disrespected, wether on the road or wherever else but it's past time to not accept this as the norm. I live my life with the feeling that whoever 'disrespects' me is below me. If 'whoever' has NO bearing in my life WHATSOEVER then there's NOTHING for me to worry or get upset about. My life, liberty, and happiness of pursuit are intact...... and they sure as heck won't take my birthday away from me.

Anytime, anywhere...... I read the here somewhere I think.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I like the part where the guy pulls a gun, and the unarmed man fights over it with him, and the BG ends up shot. Awesome.

As for the beginning....that's just dumb. Sucks that it happened in "small town" Montana - but it can happen anywhere, anytime.

Austin
    DPro.40 likes this.

Links