Defensive Carry banner

Code Red at the bank today

4K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  Sontag 
#1 ·
Today I went to the IMCU at Thompson and Madison to get some money via the drive thru ATM. When I pulled up to use the ATM I noticed them just mulling about. A white van was in front of the ATM and the driver was getting his money so I figured they must have been with him and got out to stretch or fix a door or something since they were by his back doors. He pulled off and I pulled up and noticed them still standing there loitering. I got out, put my card in the ATM and started my transaction when I noticed them now leaning on my truck watching me. I turned around keeping my weapon concealed and asked them if they were aware they were in a drive thru window not a walk up window. They asked if they could walk there and I told them no, its a drive thru, you gotta be in a car. Well, I hurried up and finished and pulled around the branch to go speak with the management inside and let them know about the situation and managed to see them getting into a car. So i snagged the plate number and wrote it down. Talked to the tellers in the bank and they said that kind of thing happens all the time when people are trying to walk up to the ATM. I passed along the vehicle description and plate number to them just in case and left the branch. As I drove off, I got a gut feeling and went ahead and contacted IMPD to let them know about what happened, give them the two mens descriptions, their vehicle description, and the vehicle plate number. Weird situation, but I think I did the right thing. At no time did they appear to be a threat, they just made me feel a little nervous. A few of the other drive thru patrons also had come in to complain and the bank had done nothing about it. Kind of shocking the level of apathy in the branch.

See less See more
Reactions: darbo and accessbob
#2 ·
Trying to get your numbers/codes. The only real mistake I see is conducting your transactions with them there--and obviously perking your radar.

Reactions: Bark'n
#3 ·
Yeah, that was dumb, I had a brain fart...however they were starting to wander away as I got out so I thought they were leaving.

#8 ·
Am I missing someting? Except them leaning on his vehicle I don't see any reason to get too excited.
Anyhoo, I don't go to ATM's. If I need cash I get cashback when I check out at Wally world or just go in my backyard and dig up some gold I am hiding from the IRS

Reactions: Paymeister and KBSR
#15 ·
Ask, tell, make??

"Please get off my car."

"Get off my car and leave me alone."

Transmission in gear, foot on brake, move vehicle 3 inches forward. "Get the **** off my car!"

These dirtbags have no reason to be leaning on your car other than criminal intentions. They also have no legal justification to do so. Many bad guys only react to being treated like true bad guys. Aggressive tone, expression and commands. Keep control of the situation.

I would say depending on the body language of the dirtbags this could be a code red.

#19 ·
These dirtbags have no reason to be leaning on your car other than criminal intentions. They also have no legal justification to do so. Many bad guys only react to being treated like true bad guys. Aggressive tone, expression and commands. Keep control of the situation.
BINGO!
Do not underestimate this threat. This is not standard, socially acceptable behavior. At a minimum, this was clearly meant to intimidate and more likely they may have been sizing him up for a robbery or mugging.

#16 ·
And watch out for younger folks loitering in large parking lots with laminated cards, papers or brochures. They get dropped off in nicer neighborhoods to sell crap. We've had some vehicle break ins at walmart by these folks. Same tone, "no thank you!" And walk with purpose. "Do not follow me!" Bladed stance. Etc

#17 ·
Thanks to Direct Deposit and by doing a little planning ahead using only the drive-up teller window I have been successful in not having to use a teller machine or step inside of a bank since sometime in the 90s.

#22 ·
I avoid drive-through ATMs like the plague/ it's too easy to get blocked in. At least at the walk-up I can maneuver.

#24 ·
Code Red no, but sure as heck not code white.

If I saw someone standing outside a vehicle at an atm I would stay way back from them. I normally don't pull right up behind another vehicle at an atm anyways. Common courtesy, do unto others/golden rule. I don't want someone starring ovef my shoulder as I enter my pin, and I don't do it to others.

That being said I would have the person on foot in my radar, if they do not get into the vehicle at the atm and leave with them then I am not pulling up to the atm.

I think tat since several other peopel complained to the tellers at the bank about these two guys I would ask to talk to the manager, explain that not only is it a safety issue if these guys step into oncoming traffic at the atm lane, it most definitley IS a security issue. If the manager refuses to agree to talk to the tellers and have them call 911 next time it happens then I would make sure to tell the manager I will be transfering my accounts to another bank.

#25 ·
Did the OP over react, no, not in my opinion. Based on the actions of the two individuals he did what he thought was necessary. Did it prevent a crime? Could have when he made the two individuals aware that he was aware of their suspicious action(s)

#26 ·
I was having trouble deciding what code I was in, so I looked at the threat indicators and decided that since I verbally engaged, it was code red. Code white is not seeing danger at all, code yellow is general state of awareness, code orange is threat detected and code red is threat engaged. I verbally engaged. Therefore, code red. Figured I would explain. Timmy, watch those naps bud, they can be dangerous.

#27 ·
The Cooper Color Code:
White: Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow: Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."

Orange: Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot that person today", focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does "X", I will need to stop them". Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Red: Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. "If 'X' happens I will shoot that person".

Reactions: tacman605
#28 ·
suntzu, what is wrong with adding chartreuse, brown, purple and navy blue to the chart that he already has?

Just messin' Chris. It's all good. Glad everything turned out ok. I always elevate a notch when going to the bank. :bier:

#29 ·
Being color blind, I resort to the "crap" scale. No crap means nothing to worry about. "Oh crap!" means start worrying. "Aw crap!" means too late.

#30 ·
I am not trying to be acidic or argumentative, but for heavens sake--is it really a big deal to park your car, go into the bank and get your money when the bank is open for business. And please--do not give me some bogus reason. Do any of you know what a credit card is? An ATM to a BG is like honey to a bear. This type of thread has been repeated many times and it seems that everyday in the paper there is someone who has been robbed at an ATM---does anyone understand the FULL AND COMPETENT use of situational awareness?

#32 ·
It is when I bank at TCU and the closest bank that I get free transactions at is an IMCU which does not do inside transactions.

#31 ·
I'd say this was a full blown code butterscotch. It's not until code hot fudge (along with some staining of your drawers) that you really need to worry.

OK my real and serious response to this thread: If you see some fishy stuff happening when you pull up to the atm then drive away. Just go two blocks to the next one and get your money there. This aint rocket surgery.

Reactions: Bark'n and BugDude
#33 ·
I guess it all worked out alright. I ride my bikes when home so I don't have an issue pulling up to an ATM, unless there is someone behind me I get off the bike and walk up to the machine.

At different times there have been people around but no one has ever attempted to lean on my Harley though.

Reactions: Rock and Glock
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.