Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

This is a discussion on Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I lay me down to sleep, at my bedside a Glock I keep. If I wake and you're inside, the coroner's van will be ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

As I lay me down to sleep, at my bedside a Glock I keep.
    If I wake and you're inside, the coroner's van will be your last ride.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If it's clear the ground and/or other factors doesn't afford any advantage once the assailant has gained entry, then perhaps the most-advantageous move would be to fire through the door/window into the assailant before the assailant has any idea of the interior layout of the home or where the defender(s) happens to be.
    I was following you up to this point. Firing at an intruder through a door or window can lead to a really hard time proving that you were threatened with bodily injury or death.

To the OP, yes if time and circumstance allow barricading yourself in the bedroom with all hands accounted for is probably your best bet. Clearing a room/house is not as easy as it looks on TV or the movies. You would be surprised how easy it is to forget the layout of their own homes in the dark and under stress.
    Billb1960 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Regardless of what you decide to do, there are a couple of important things you should consider.

Those who break into occupied dwellings in the middle of the night are very dangerous people. You may know the layout of your own home, but you are almost always at a disadvantage. One reason, is that if you are wakened from a deep sleep, you will need a few moments to get your wits about you. Being startled, groggy from deep sleep and with an almost certain elevated level of fear, these are just a few of the things to put you at a disadvantage. In your haste to meet the threat and deal with it, you are more than likely going to make some serious tactical mistakes in the state of mind you find yourself in.

The intruder on the other hand is going to be wired tighter than an eight day clock. With adrenaline coursing through his veins pumping out pure energy he's expecting anything, and also prepared for a confrontation. His reflexes are going to be like a cat, and any confrontation may provoke an immediate response where he simply opens fire with a massive hail of gunfire while he tries to escape. This can really put the odds in his favor and not yours. If he has a partner, or several, it's even worse for the homeowner.

To go out and seek a confrontation, you may just get more than you bargained for. If he or they hear any movement from you, he or they often has the ability to quickly move to a position of ambush and then you're toast. Are you prepared to take gunfire coming at your from multiple directions?

Best bet is to stay put where you are and ambush him the moment he presents himself as a target. At my bedside within arms reach, I have access to a choice of my M&P 9 with a weapon mounted tactical light, an additional hand carried tactical light w/ strobe feature, my shotgun, and an AR-15 in the closet. I also have my cell phone. My wife also has her SP-101 & Ruger LCP, or a choice of any other handgun we have in our line-up and her cell phone.

We have no children in the house, so for us, there is no reason to venture out of the bedroom and risk getting killed. Our plan is to crouch behind the bed which provides concealment and marginal cover, call 911 and if the scumbag(s) presents a visible target, open fire (most likely with the Mossberg 590 shotgun). I have 8 rounds of #1 buckshot loaded in the gun, and 6 more 00 buck mounted on the receiver (side saddle), with 6 slugs in a buttstock pouch. That's 20 rounds of immediate 12 ga. firepower in that one weapon. My wife's job is to call 911 and to illuminate/blind anyone who enters the room with the 800 lumen Fenix TK-41 flashlight providing positive ID of my targets.

People who have kids sleeping in multiple bedrooms in other parts of the home, you are going to have to figure out a viable plan which can allow you to get them to safety. That may require you to move about the house so you should formulate a sound plan, and then work through it to find any flaws and refine your plan as needed.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Now I lay me down to sleep...

Bag of peanuts at my feet........

If I die before I wake.......

Give them to my brother Jake........

-- Father Mulcahy
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    If it's clear the ground and/or other factors doesn't afford any advantage once the assailant has gained entry, then perhaps the most-advantageous move would be to fire through the door/window into the assailant before the assailant has any idea of the interior layout of the home or where the defender(s) happens to be.
    I was following you up to this point. Firing at an intruder through a door or window can lead to a really hard time proving that you were threatened with bodily injury or death.

To the OP, yes if time and circumstance allow barricading yourself in the bedroom with all hands accounted for is probably your best bet. Clearing a room/house is not as easy as it looks on TV or the movies. You would be surprised how easy it is to forget the layout of their own homes in the dark and under stress.
    Yes.

Like you, I completely agree it's not preferable, when any other options exist. But there do exist a handful of recent situations reported in the news, for example, where homeowners did exactly this, shot through the door during clear violent entry, but before the assailant(s) were through the door and into them. Among the alternatives, what's about to happen is indeed a "house clearing" problem if the assailant makes it in. Am not saying it's preferable, or even legally smart (certainly not in many jurisdictions); am just saying that it's likely the most advantageous option left, if clearly imminent in the situation described.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ambush

I would set up an ambush in the most advantageous location possible.

In our bedroom, for example, I would flood the closed doorway at eye level with my desk lamp, while setting up in the back clothes closet door; the bedroom door opens away from this location, and I keep the closet door opening away from the room door open. As soon as the threat enters the kill zone, I would fire without warning; the assumption under Florida law is that an unauthorized entry involves the clear threat of death or serious bodily injury.

My wife would be calling 911, and keeping them abreast of activity until they arrive.

I would not warn, or give any tactical information of the situation to the person or persons (remember that there could be more than one) inside. I know who else might be in the building, and pay attention accordingly.
    Aphdmansoc likes this.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

I would lock my bedroom door and hide behind the bed with the rifle and hand guns pointing at the door. Not sure if I will shout or give a verbal warning. i will sit quietly. If door breaks, all hell breaks loose.

It's like winning a 200 lb. bag of dog food.
    Billb1960 and pittypat21 like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Never seek danger if you are in a safe place. I would rather lose everything in my home, than have to shoot some one.

dial 911 and put on speakerphone, toss phone on bed and talk to dispatcher, yell out into the house that im armed, called 911 and to get out.
    Quote Originally Posted by finst3r View Post
    It's both safer and strategically sound to defend from an ensconced position.
    Post # 7 hit it on the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Since everyone is accounted for, call 911, take cover with gun at the ready and wait for the police to arrive. If intruder attempts to enter the room, do what you need to do, to stay safe. The only way I'd exit the room is if a family member was in another room and you needed to get to them.

^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If its just me and mom at home.

Currently I have kids at home..
    If the dog is outside(which most of the time she is) and going berserk, I'll know somthin' ain't right in the 'hood.

My only choice is to confront and defend .
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

wife and i will take cover in my son's room with my kids. his room is adjacent to my daughter's and has better cover. the layout of my house requires an exposed trip through the upstairs loft and hall to get to my kids though. not great.

If the breakin is at night I will turn on the front room lights, front yard and back yard lights, which I can do from my bedroom. My bedrooms are down a hall and I can look out the door of my bedroom into the front room. There I will wait with my pistol while the wife dials 911 on the cell phone. We will not use the house phone because there are 4 house phones around the house that they could listen in on. The only thing showing of me would be my arm with my pistol and part of my head peeking around the door frame. The house next door is 65 ft away and about 5 ft lower, my brick fireplace is on the front room wall accross from the hall, my car is in the garage behind the fireplace so I do not have to worry about my bullets hurting someone, other than the bad guy.

The only thing of value in the house, outside of the bedrooms, is the tv above the fireplace which I can see from down the hall, Would not be a good idea to try to take it off the wall.

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Firing at an intruder through a door or window can lead to a really hard time proving that you were threatened with bodily injury or death.
    Indiana has a Castle Doctrine. Would not firing thru a door, window etc be a cut and dry conclusion with no legal action against the homeowner?
    I'm saying the intruder in (IN) your castle.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Sorry, I was late adding this.

From: Second Regular Session 117th General Assembly (2012)

SENATE ENROLLED ACT No. 1

AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning criminal law and procedure.

(b) As used in this section, “public servant” means a person described in IC 35-41-1-17, IC 35-31.5-2-129, or IC 35-31.5-2-185.
    (c) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another any other person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force.
    I love Indiana
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

In Indiana you can use deadly force to "prevent, or Terminate" unlawful entry...

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:

SECTION 1. IC 35-41-3-2 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2006]:
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; only and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, or curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.
    (c) With respect to property other than a dwelling, or curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the
    force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect. However, a person:
    (1) is not justified in using deadly force; unless and
    only if that force is justified under subsection (a).
    Unless a homeowner knows:

...that an intruder is, in fact, in the house... how many there are... if they're armed... how they're armed... and where they are... and the homeowner still feels that he still has the advantage... stay defensive. LEO's have back-up, most homeowners do not. Our bedroom is upstairs, and the stairway is a choke point, that I can easily control. I have two almost 100 pound dogs that will provide the initial alert, and I have appropriate firearms, and communications in the bedroom.

Any plan is better than no plan. The time to realize that your initial objective was to drain the swamp, is NOT when you're already up to your ass in alligators.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    My kids are grown up and gone so it's a no brainer for me.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links