Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

This is a discussion on Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The way that my house is setup I will have the wife call 911 and have her take one child into the others room. I ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

The way that my house is setup I will have the wife call 911 and have her take one child into the others room. I would then guard the stairs, only way up to bedrooms pending scaling a wall. Flip the lights on and wait.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

My dog will start barking like crazy to an intruder. Don't know if he'd attack or not, though. Plus, to marry off of my other post, my floor plan allows me a clear shot at the front door from my covered position at the top of the stairs. I always keep my windows locked, so that would only leave my garage door or back door. Once I clear the stairs, a simple "button hook" around would give me a clear shot at the back door. I gotta admit, my house isn't the biggest, but it's got a decent set up.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I have written several times on various threads what I plan to do. BTW, I agree with everything you had to say Rights but would add to it.
    1. When I go to sleep with wife, bedroom door is locked with a door stopper under the door
    2. My night table has my cellphone for 911, my garage door opener, and the remotes for both cars that can activate their emergency lights/horn . I also have a flashlight but it is just there and not truly part of my planning.
    3. Behind my pillow is my FN5.7x28 which is my handgun of choice. Within a few steps of my bed is my pump, short barrel shotgun loaded with buck. I would take these firearms and position myself in a defensive position where I can see the bedroom door but the BG cannot see me. Wife will be in a location that should eliminate any involvement of her. I am maybe 10 ft from the door and the shotgun will do the rest--permanently. If I need the semi the FN is high capacity (20+1), and very lethal with boutique special frangible ammuntion--I can easily point shoot at 10 ft and will do so.
    4. I will not leave my bedroom. Everything in the rest of house is insured and replaceable---I am also insured but I am not replaceable. They can have my stuff and I am not going to fight over it outside my bedroom. They may be better at this gun stuff than me and I am not about to find this out. Hopefully there will be a timely arrival of police who should have no problem finding house with car horns blaring and headlights flashing at an open garage.
    5. Some people talk about flashlights for various reasons. I know my house even in the dark--the BG does not. The last thing I need to do is turn on a flashlight so he can see where I am in the dark. I am just saying this because it has been discussed. My scenario has me staying in my bedroom as described above.
    6. If for some reason the BG decides that he needs to find out what is behind my bedroom door, and he manages to defeat the lock and the stopper, if probably will be the last decision he ever makes. There have been threads on the psychological after-affect of actually killing someone. Personally, my only problem will be the expense to repair the door jam and the carpet. Could not care less about the BG.
    Aphdmansoc likes this.

I get my family and we hunker down. It is much harder for a bad guy to attack an entrenched and defensive position than if I am moving around.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I have written several times on various threads what I plan to do. BTW, I agree with everything you had to say Rights but would add to it.
    1. When I go to sleep with wife, bedroom door is locked with a door stopper under the door

The door stopper is not a bad idea! I sleep with my door open...I want the dogs to roam and I want to hear what goes on in the rest of the house. But with their warning and intruders not knowing the house, I should have time to deploy a door stopper. And if I can get my dogs to come immediately it may save them.

Thanks!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

my GSD has been training since day 1 for french ring. We do car-jacking, home invasion, and burglary scenarios all the time with him so an invader isnt the issue so long as he is unarmed...either way, my philosophy is if my dog can get the jump on him, then I can get the jump on him as well. If he is armed and I dont capitalize on my opportunity I could be at risk (assuming the dog is killed). If I didnt have a dog with such drive it would be a different take

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I would exit my room and wait in the upstairs hallway. This is because of the layout of my house- a splitlevel with an upstairs hallway leading to the bathroom and two bedrooms. By waiting in the hallway, I am between any intruder and my wife (in our bedroom) and our 18-month-old in the next bedroom. This essentially also allows me to cover the entire upstairs because of the house design. There's nothing downstairs worth dying or killing over.
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    I investigate ( with my weapon draw ) then make a judgement call as to what happens as it unfolds. I have a very good defensive floor plan plus a large breed dog ( ill tempered ). I have very heavy doors and locks with dead bolts so, if somebody knocks my door in there is a good chance bullets will be flying.

Invade my home and you will be engaged without warning

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Most posters seem to have the right idea. Stay in a previously identified defensible position, call 911 and let them take whatever
    property they might want as long as they leave.

Who wants to shoot another human being for taking your stuff? Would you kill someone for a flat screen TV or even a car? Isn't that why you
    have insurance?

If they obviously intend you or yours harm then the whole dynamic changes. At that point I become the aggressor (even if it is from a
    defensive position) and react with sudden, violent and deadly intent.
    At night when someone kicks in the door to you home, even worse when you're asleep, how do you determine if they intend to do bodily harm or just steal your TV?
    pittypat21 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    At night when someone kicks in the door to you home, even worse when you're asleep, how do you determine if they intend to do bodily harm or just steal your TV?
    If you're set up in a previously defined position, it doesn't matter what the intruders' intent is.... you, or at least I will have complete control over anyone who attempts access to our secure area, and in my State, I am allowed the use of deadly force, to prevent, or terminate any such attempt.
    9MMare likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Exactly so. Which is why many state legislatures have rationally put into the statutes the full and complete assumption of deadly threat upon criminal entry into the home. There's no way of telling what a criminal's intent it. One would have to be naive to the point of insanity to truly believe it's the Avon Lady.

Glad I live in a largely-free state. Free in that regard, at least.
    9MMare likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would tell my wife to dial 911, then I would come out of my bedroom to the top of the stairs and yell I have a gun and the cops have been called. I would not want them/him to have the opportunity to get up to the bedrooms. If I saw movement coming towards the steps I would fire on them.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarino14 View Post
    I would tell my wife to dial 911, then I would come out of my bedroom to the top of the stairs and yell I have a gun and the cops have been called. I would not want them/him to have the opportunity to get up to the bedrooms. If I saw movement coming towards the steps I would fire on them.
    ...to shoot at movement alone, without verification/identification of your target is foolhardy, and invites tragedy.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    In my situation at the moment:

Wife would call 911 behind me while I cover the entrance to our room while being as quiet as possible. They can take what they want as long as they don't enter the room my wife and I are in. All my stuff can be re bought, our lives cannot.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links