Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait? - Page 5

Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

This is a discussion on Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by usmcj ...to shoot at movement alone, without verification/identification of your target is foolhardy, and invites tragedy. No it isn't, if after you ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    ...to shoot at movement alone, without verification/identification of your target is foolhardy, and invites tragedy.
    No it isn't, if after you hear someone yell to you to get out they have a weapon, and the cops have been called then they are the foolhardy ones and get what's coming to them.

Quote Originally Posted by CJohn364 View Post
    I have a room just off to the side of the top of the stairs and a small railing-like wall on the other side so there's cover on both sides.
    Sounds like concealment, not cover.

VIP Member
    First, do as I say and not as I do... if you can be with your loved ones and dig in, do it. Clearing a house is risky business, even with a team of trained professionals. Doing it on your own is very dangerous, no matter how well you know your house or how many times you've practiced doing it.

That said, I'm not going to ignore my own personality and pretend that I'd be able to just sit and wait. My action would depend fully on where the noise is coming from. If it is in the den or livinig room, I am going to do my impression of a Marine Corps rifle squad on the offensive. If it is in the center of the house it gets too dangerous due to a room with 2 doors and the possibility of having a BG appear behind me in an already cleared area. If the BG is all the way in the back of the house in the laundry room I can get to him before he has the opportunity to sneak around behind me, and I would do so. Everyone is correct that stuff isn't worth dying over. However, if you enter my home when it is logical to believe that my wife and I are at home, I must assume you attend to do one of us great bodily harm. It isn't hard to guess where we are, so there is no great advantage to waiting for the BG to get there. There is no cover in the bedroom, though there are multiple areas of concealment. So if possible I'm going to meet the person that wants to hurt me on my own terms and do so with violence of action and movement.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I would send my wife to my daughters' room, and I would seek out and destroy any enemy that has chosen to make my home their target. Burglary is one possible reason for somebody to come into my home, but it is not the only one. I will assume that anybody that is unlawfully in my home intends to do harm to my pregnant wife and daughters, and they will be killed.
    AcesFull likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I don't have an option. With the way my house is setup, I must 'stalk'. There's a bedroom on each side of the house and me just waiting in one room, leaves others in danger in the other room.

I too will also assume that if you're in my home, with a driveway filled with trucks and cars, you know somebody is home and have intentions to do more than just burglarize my residence.

Despite the dogs barking at the sound of a leaf falling from a tree, I've got into the habit of checking things out every time. I don't have the luxury of knowing which night they'll be right and I rather lose some sleep than my life or a loved one.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

...to shoot at movement alone, without verification/identification of your target is foolhardy, and invites tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarino14 View Post
    No it isn't, if after you hear someone yell to you to get out they have a weapon, and the cops have been called then they are the foolhardy ones and get what's coming to them.
    Yes sir, it does. One of the primary rules of shooting anything is to be sure of your target and what's beyond it. Do as you wish, and I hope you never have to have the experience.
    AcesFull likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by rmarino14 View Post
    N I will continue to take classes and range time for mine.
    May I suggest the NRA Personal Protection in the home class...... page 4... BOLD PRINT... "Know your target, and what is beyond". I'd be real interested to see any reputable source for a contradicting premise.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; December 19th, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I have three kids 11 & under, my foremost job is to protect them. The only light on in the house at night is over my kitchen sink. I will be emerging from my room, into a pitch black hallway. They will have the light behind them, and no night vision, I wait, crouched behind cover of a linen closet. No warnings, I will fire. If I go down, it's very likely the whole family could. No warnings.

Quote Originally Posted by wstrnrdr53 View Post
    I believe, as a number of posters, in a multi layer defense. We have a large chocolate lab who has proven herself during attempted daytime breakin. She will always bark at car in drive [500' drive] or animal/person moving about outside. 2nd line is a good alarm system including keyfobs with panic features. All windows have rods preventing their being opened, have to be broken to enter. Alarm system has glass break sensors in every room. All exterior doors metal with 2" throw dead bolts. Glass sliding patio door is triple paned with a bar in track preventing forced opening. Now a days seems most homes are built with Master on one end and the rest of bedrooms on other end. This does pose a dilemma for protection of children.Our college age daughter sleeps on the other end. She is in the National Gaurd and has trained extensively in building search and clearing, she has access to a weapon in her room. Never the less our family plan calls for her to take concealment in her room, while wife and I remain concealed in our room. Immediate call to 911 on speaker and armed with 9mm and 12 gauge. I also have had military training and LE training and can tell you attempting to clear even your own home by yourself can be fools journey, how many intruders, how they are armed, all come into play. Home defense is not a military op, putting yourself into the fray may not always end well. Do you know how to clear a corner or a staircase with out presenting yourself? our plan is to hole up, stay on line with LE, drop bag to LE on arrival [ bag contains key and basic floor plan with our locations ] and protect access to our safe areas. As soon as 911 called alarm remotely activated if not already. Let the LE responders who will work in pairs clear the house.We live in Tn and yes we have a good Castle Law, If an individual gains unauthorized or illegal entry then the premise, whether armed or not, is that the individual intends bodily harm or death. This Doctrine also extends to your vehicle, such as car jacking. Be smart and be safe no matter the legal ability, take the precautions and protect your family and wait for help. Another suggestion on alarm system is to have a 2nd panel in your bedroom, at least you may know where a threat origionates.
    You answered something I have been noodling over since I originally posted. How does LE get in to our home to nab the BG if I (we) are holed up in our safe room? Your idea to drop a bag with keys an a floor plan is simple but very genius. Thank you for the suggestion.

My people hunting days are long past. 9-1-1 and wait at the top of the stairs.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    My wife's job is to call 911 and to illuminate/blind anyone who enters the room with the 800 lumen Fenix TK-41 flashlight providing positive ID of my targets.
    You should realize from your drills that going from anywhere near dark to 800 lumens reflecting back off of walls and bouncing around your bedroom - especially if they hit your side of the bed - are going to blind everyone in the room.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I can only relate what my father did alot of years ago. It was about 3:15 a.m. and I was a 12 year old and dead asleep when he came in my room and whispered to me that someone was trying to get in the side door of the house and I was to take the shotgun and stand in the hallway next to the kitchen with the gun pointed up until he said to shoot. And then he said if you have to shoot - don't shoot toward the end of the counter because that will be me. Needless to say I was shaking like Barney Fife but my father had a very cool head. He had the training during WWll and had landed at Normandy, made it across France, Belgium and Germany with the 1st. Infantry. Anyway, the guy finally gets the lock open and gets in and as he takes his first step up the stairs from the landing my father said "Come on in - we've been waiting for you". The house is completely dark and quiet. I swear the guy could hear my heart beating in my chest. Then my father said "walk up the steps and shuffle your feet across the kitchen floor and sit down at the dining room table. If you run, we shoot." The guy shuffled across the kitchen and sat down in the dining room table. And my father told the guy to put both hands flat on the table - he did. When my father turned on the lights the guy had eyes as big as silver dollars because he was about 3 feet from the intruder with a bayonet pointed at him. I called the police and they came and picked this guy up. One of the officers asked my dad "Why didn't you just shoot him?" My father said " That would make a hexx of a mess and my wife would not be happy". the officer laughed and they got to talking and found out they were in the same places in Europe and the officer was in the 29th. division next to my father. They became friends and talked often of where they were. The home invader never came back after running into a bayonet, shotgun, and the police all in one night. As i got older I asked him about that night and he said -"never give up your cover and concealment - make them make the noise. Remember walk softly and have overwelming fire power" I think it was good advice.
    granma4 and Aphdmansoc like this.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    You answered something I have been noodling over since I originally posted. How does LE get in to our home to nab the BG if I (we) are holed up in our safe room? Your idea to drop a bag with keys an a floor plan is simple but very genius. Thank you for the suggestion.
    I too have read that in a home defense plan. A suggestion was made to add a chem-lite in the bag to be lit and tossed out with the bag if it is night.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I don't care that much about stuff, that can all be replaced. My life, however, can not. I choose to wait for the intruders to come to me. However, I will have heavily stacked the odds in my favor.

I would grab my pistol and retreat to a more secure position where I have my long guns (a safe in my closet). In there, I have permanently stored a spare set of glasses, a cell phone, a flashlight, and a remote that can turn on lamps in every room in my house. This remote is important because I will be in my closet with the lights off. To get to me/us, the intruders will have to walk through a doorway (where they will cast a shadow) then make a right turn (where they will be lit up by the lamp). I will have advance warning and perfect sight on them to be able to identify the target. I will be hidden in the darkness, laying on my side on the ground (to present a small target), and aiming my weapon at the only entrance. I will only have to worry about covering 3 feet of doorway with my weapon.

My significant other will take cover behind the door of the safe while dialing the police. When the police get here, she will give the 911 dispatcher the keypad code to open the garage door. Inside the garage, there is a combination lockbox that contains a key to open all of the entry doors.

There are some other things I should do. I should hook my light switches into the remote also. I should create some better cover, maybe stacks of boxes filled with phone books, or maybe stack a bunch of boxes of water bottles that double as emergency rations. Also, I should create a good backstop. In case I need to shoot, I don't want to shoot up my neighbor's house. A bookcase with plenty of books could probably fill that role.

i would get up grab my glock 23 and 800 lumen flashlight out of my night stand to my right, quietly wake my fiance and have her get our daughter (she sleeps with us) and get them into a corner we have picked out. wait for the intruder to get to the doorway light up my flashlight aim and let a few shots off till they are down and then call cops. its either them or my family and i and i wont take chances waiting it out for cops to come

Sponsored Links