Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait? - Page 6

Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

This is a discussion on Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At he first sound of noise I'll get a flashbang and throw it in the living room. After it goes off I'll run it and ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

At he first sound of noise I'll get a flashbang and throw it in the living room. After it goes off I'll run it and neutralize the BG, check mate. Just joking. I live in a one bedroom apt so I would grab the pistol, tell the wife to get up and go in the closet then try to stop them. There is a short distance from the front door to our bedroom so there isn't much time to try and take cover.

Someone in another forum had suggested using your car's panic button if you have your keys. The idea is that it would scare them out of your house. I'm not sure what I think about that though because then I may not be able to hear what's going on. I would definatley wait in my bedroom with the lights off for them to enter. Once they do, I would light them up (right in the eyes with my SureFire), identify if it's actually a BG and eliminate the threat with a double tap. After the threat is eliminated, I call 911 and my lawyer.

Living in a two family house, two doors would have to be breached before entry made into my part of the home, my dog would be barking up a storm, I would take my pistol and retrieve my daughter and retreat back to the master bedroom. If time permits, get a long gun from the safe, hand the pistol to the wife with the flashlight, and wait. No way to the master bedroom except a long fatal funnel of a hallway.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

If I hold the stairs I should be okay. Girls' rooms are up there, too, so the wife will have to retreat with them to our room, call 911, get her .38 and wait. I would take the shotty to the head of the stairs and shoot anything that tries to come up without permission. I'd keep the .40 for back up.

The dogs will let me know he is coming and ought to let him know he's been detected.

The backstop in this situation is the ground. If I miss going down the stairs, the only place that round is going is into the dirt in the side yard. No houses are close enough to us on that side to be in the line of fire.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    depends on a few things... and I'll most likely wait at the top of the stairs.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I'm going to wait and defend my position, hoping to get the drop on them
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I don't know if anyone's made the point- in a "true" HIR you will most likely have to be fighting.

Unless you're able to stay locked in a safe room or fortified bedroom, the BGs are coming for you. (So, you wont have to be stalking anybody!)

A B&E or a burglary while you at home asleep is something else ENTIRELY!

When I was growing up our family was the victim of two HIRs and four B&E burglaries while we were at home asleep. (My stepfather lived a dangerous life.) The HIRs were far more dangerous!

A burglary may turn into an HIR. But, if a BGs intent is an HIR from the get-go, you'll most likely be in a fight. Those that perpetrate HIRs generally are extremely focused and prepare for violence. Burglar's may want to get in & out without incident.

-

-
    Ghost1958 and Snub44 like this.

I have a general plan but nothing I would hold specifically. Im normally up until 3 am at least 99 percent of the time since I dont sleep well anyway and was always a night owl by nature.

Anyone busting into my house where someone is obviously up and awake isnt coming after the TV. That being said engaging is probably going to be a given. There is only my wife and I here. I know where she is and she knows if she wakes to arms herself with the 12 ga and stay put regardless of what she hears and shoot the first thing that comes through the bedroom door from cover unless im yelling at the top of my lungs its me.

How I engage depends largely on where they enter at, number, if Im up as usual or not. If im up Ill be on the attack as they enter. My house layout being what it is there is precious little cover until you get up the hall to the bedrooms and I know where those spots are.
    If im not up they would still have to funnel up the hallway and be sitting ducks.
    Wife would call 911 but response times being what they are out here the BG could probably call in reinforcements and mount a calvary charge by the time LEO would arrive, if I gave them time.
    So I cant say particularly as many have exactly what the plan is other than a few details and to be flexible, fast, keep the advantage of the home ground and armed at all times.

Re: Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

If they broke in through the ground floor, my 130 lb Cane Corso and 120 lb Shepherd would keep them occupied for a bit. The dogs are always downstairs and they're extremely territorial and trained not to take treats from anyone other than family. They only accept guests when we welcome them. I'm 100% confident they'd show major aggression if not offer an all-out attack.

I have two kids, 17 and 15, all the bedrooms are upstairs. While the Mrs phones 911, I'd Grab my Glock and I'd usher the kids and wife into the lockable from the inside walk-in closet. I'd position myself in the rear corner of the bedroom behind our solid nightstand with a clear view of the bedroom and bathroom doors.

Any attempt to enter and I cut loose a few rounds. I may or may not make any announcement. Nobody other than us has access to our home. Maybe I'd rather they be completely surprised by what I have to offer. I'd have to trust my instinct at the moment. Besides, other than BANG, they wouldn't hear anything over the dogs' barking unless the perp(s) killed them.

Every time my dogs start barking my wife wakes me up to go check the house. I have two boys who's bedrooms are upstairs, so I have to go make sure there ok. I always go out there armed, but am very cautious, incase it is one of the boys getting up for a glass of milk. The dogs dont ever bark in that case tho but you never know. I listen very carefully on the sounds that are out there, and if I was ever sure that there was someone in the house, I would still go out there, just because I have always said that I would protect my wife and kids life, even if it cost me mine. With that being said, I could not stay put in a safe place in my room knowing my kids are in a different part of the house. I most definatley would however if it was just my wife and I, like in your case. They can take my **** if they are that desperate to have it. I can go buy more ****. However, when you step into my room...........lets just say, I get my **** back!

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Safe room,cell phone, gun, cover the only entry point, turn on my pre recorded get out of dodge message, Police are coming, I have a gun and know how to use it, get out now while your not dead.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

The layout I live in would be bulldog out of the room as I load and rack the 1911 while my girlfriend is calling the cops.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

MJK
    Retreat to your safe room, lock the door, prepare to defend yourself and dial 911. Inform the dispatcher there's a home invasion in progress, give the address and state that you are armed, locked in such and such a room and will not open the door until notified that the police are on the premises and have cleared the property.
    Aphdmansoc likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Dial 911 and wait quietly in the bedroom, nothing in the house is worth me venturing out of that room. Let him come to me. Flood lamp and 40 ready to roll. I will be down for coffee in the morning.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Home Invasion: Stalk or Wait?

I returned from a late night of call at hospital and couldn't sleep. Stumbled on this thread and have a new perspective on things. Or questions. Need your thoughts.
    First
    Floor plan. My room and young kids are on same side of home. Easily secured because the garage is as well. No entry way to this area.
    Open living and kitchen rooms with 2 entry ways. I do have my oldest who is 10 across the house.
    I do know my floor plan in dark. I also keep resources on both sides of home.

Second. 2 acres long drive in country. However near I-49 corridor.

My thoughts wood be to send wife armed to the young kids room upstairs and secure with locked door.
    My only choice for me is to secure daughter across house.

Need some feed back.

SRG

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links