What would you do with a mall shooter? - Video of SoCal new mall shooting today.

This is a discussion on What would you do with a mall shooter? - Video of SoCal new mall shooting today. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This situation just occurred today. Here's a link to the news story. At least 50 shots fired at Fashion Island. Shoppers started screaming and scrambling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What would you do with a mall shooter? - Video of SoCal new mall shooting today.

What would you do with a mall shooter? - Video of SoCal new mall shooting today.

This situation just occurred today.

Here's a link to the news story.

At least 50 shots fired at Fashion Island. Shoppers started screaming and scrambling | police, area, island - The Orange County Register

A man apparently was firing into the air in the parking lot just outside a major mall in So CA. It appears he was deranged or trying to commit suicide by cop, but, what would you do? Let's pretend you were located at the point where the video is shot from.

The guy was apparently shooting into the air, however at the video distance you can't tell. On the surface he's obviously a clear danger to everyone around, and it only takes a split second to fire at someone as opposed to into the air.

It would be hard for anyone to convict someone for taking him out, when hundreds of people were put into danger (even in SoCal). However in this case apparently officers were rapidly on scene - what would you do if you were responding through the parking lot with a gun in your hand? Very easy to be mistaken as a second shooter. Even with a CCW (not that you could get one in SoCal) it would take some fast talking.

What do you see as your responsibility to protect others in such a situation? Here is a man who on the apparent surface is threatening hundreds of people with deadly force, an easily justifiable use of deadly force. But perhaps in reality he was mentally ill, or despondent over something and trying to get attention or to get someone to shoot him.

What if you shot him in self defense of others, and then discovered he really wasn't much of a threat, or that he was trying to achieve that outcome?

Opinions please.

2. Remove Ads

Just shooting into the air? I sure the heck wouldn't shoot him. I don't live down there, my CCW is good down there and I have carried down there. But it's a no-go on engage. Heck, knowing some of the people down there, it may just be a one man sports team victory celebration.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    I'm taking cover and putting distance between the shooter and myself. I'm not a cop and I'm not a hero. My responsibility is to get home to my wife at the end of the day. If the shooter becomes a direct threat to me, then I will do what needs to be done to get home that night.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

To be honest I could barely see the shooter in the vid. I am staying behind the car and calling 911. Again I am clearing the clothing from over my firearm and I may have my hand on it but I am not drawing and certainly not going looking for this guy. If he wanders my way he will get a surprize but at that distance he is on his own until LEO shows.
    Idahokid and paullie like this.

Id get out with my family unless there was no way that was possible. If thats not possible I would eliminate the threat to my family.
    CJohn364 likes this.

If I have enough cover and distance between him and me, I'd call 911. If my family is with me, I'd get them safe, then call.

As always, it depends. With my family, I'd remove them from the threat while I called 911. Once that was done, if he started to shoot people I'd advance or if a clear shot, including background, I'd shoot. If he was in Texas he'd probably be dead after the first few rounds even if he fired in the air. My first priority would be my family.
    Idahokid likes this.

VIP Member
    Leave the area ASAP, call 911.
    Idahokid likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Yep..stay clear..stay safe...observe...find cover

Too far of a shot anyway for my lowly G 27
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

An update on the story. Turned out the shooter was an out of work security guard who was living in his car and was despondent over his lot in life. He had multiple 10 round magazines and was firing into the air and then reloading. I guess maybe magazines should be restricted to two bullets only.

Good thing the responders on this post didn't shoot him. ;)

No-brainer, really.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Firing into the air or not, those rounds half to land somewhere. Which makes him a threat any way you slice it. Get on the phone with the cops, get a good visual, be a good witness and ENGAGE when the opportunity presents itself.

Thats just me though.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

VIP Member
    For me it depends on how close to him I was at the time. If I could E&E then I would. On the other hand, if I thought there was a reasonable chance I'd catch one in the back while escaping then I'd probably drill him. So for me, proximity to the shooter is a major factor.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
    A man apparently was firing into the air in the parking lot just outside a major mall in So CA. It appears he was deranged or trying to commit suicide by cop, but, what would you do? Let's pretend you were located at the point where the video is shot from.
    I would call 911. Then I would advance. Then I would..."give him a hand".

Shooting into the air? He is absolutely a threat to everyone around him. Those bullets will land somewhere and at any moment he could go from shooting in the air to shooting at shoppers.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Take cover,Call 911.Dont get involved unless he come towards you.Get the familt safe first and foremost.Lets the cops do there jobs.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links