Paranoia or due diligence?

This is a discussion on Paranoia or due diligence? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I went to see the movie "Lincoln" tonight. About 20 minutes into the movie, a rather large man got up from his ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By KoriBustard
  • 2 Post By KoriBustard

Thread: Paranoia or due diligence?

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

Paranoia or due diligence?

My wife and I went to see the movie "Lincoln" tonight. About 20 minutes into the movie, a rather large man got up from his seat a few rows ahead of me and went to the back of the theater. I watched him go up the aisle but he didn't leave the viewing area but stood just inside the entrance and seemed a bit agitated making "groaning noises." I told my wife I needed to go to the men's room and walked up the aisle while watching the guy and stood, for a couple of minutes, just outside the viewing room where I could see him. Then I could see him stretching his arms over his head and twisting his torso. It was clear at that point (having had back problems myself) that he was probably trying to get himself stretched out and wasn't comfortable in his seat. Satisfied, I returned to my seat and he stood there for the entire movie (though I kept an eye on him).

Have recent events made me "over alert?" Dunno.
    rugergunner likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

2. Remove Ads

You need to feel safe so if that made you feel better then so be it. Better to be a bit paranoid and wrong, then not notice your surroundings and then harmed in someway.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarino14 View Post
    You need to feel safe so if that made you feel better then so be it. Better to be a bit paranoid and wrong, then not notice your surroundings and then harmed in someway.
    +1! Your security (and sanity) is YOUR responsibility! It really has nothing to do with anyone else. If your perception changes your alert status, go with it and observe in greater detail. Perception is reality. Your alertness may prove to be nothing. OTOH..... it might give you the added time needed to react.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Did you blade off at a 45-degree angle while placing one hand preemptively on your holstered pistol and reaching for your OC spray with the other? No? Then not paranoid.
    Attentive? yes, proactive? yes, In the wrong? Nope, not as long as you didn't call attention to yourself or him or interfere with his enjoyment of the performance.

Paranoid? No. I've heard over and over, if something takes you to condition orange, make sure you're truly comfortable with what's going on before you let yourself go back to condition yellow. There's usually a reason for going to orange; something you've learned from in the past or just your instincts.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Situational Awareness is ALWAYS good. This time it was just something normal. Next time--who knows??? Good job.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Recent events have made me over alert. I was in a movie the other day and profiled everyone who walked in. I even told my wife what to do if someone started shooting. There was some guy in a wheelchair in the front and I figured just because he's in a wheelchair doesn't mean he's not a BG, so I kept an eye on him too.....

GH
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you. Heck - I get nervous if the same car is behind me "too long".

Anybody that watches his surroundings & the people within them is definitely doing the right thing. Some day you may be able to ring the bell & say "I saw the man pull the gun from his waistband first!" Then you might be the one to save the day or need a change of underwear or both. And be on the cover of Newsweek, no matter that they're no longer printing weeklies anymore, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That was me, dummy. Sitting makes me stiff, got to move around once in a while. I quietly get up to stretch and you start stalking me? Your glass is half empty. SA is noticing the me. Paranoia is assuming I'm up to something evil.

There, that's the opposing view.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Situational awareness is what will save your life, and the life of others. "When/Then thinking is best practiced every day, all day long. After awhile it becomes second nature. You did good.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That was me, dummy. Sitting makes me stiff, got to move around once in a while. I quietly get up to stretch and you start stalking me? Your glass is half empty. SA is noticing the me. Paranoia is assuming I'm up to something evil.

There, that's the opposing view.
    Long drive from Florida to Massachusetts just to watch a movie...especially with a stiff back!
    KBSR and OldVet like this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    My wife and I went to see the movie "Lincoln" tonight. About 20 minutes into the movie, a rather large man got up from his seat a few rows ahead of me and went to the back of the theater. I watched him go up the aisle but he didn't leave the viewing area but stood just inside the entrance and seemed a bit agitated making "groaning noises." I told my wife I needed to go to the men's room and walked up the aisle while watching the guy and stood, for a couple of minutes, just outside the viewing room where I could see him. Then I could see him stretching his arms over his head and twisting his torso. It was clear at that point (having had back problems myself) that he was probably trying to get himself stretched out and wasn't comfortable in his seat. Satisfied, I returned to my seat and he stood there for the entire movie (though I kept an eye on him).

Have recent events made me "over alert?" Dunno.
    I have been doing stuff like that for years. I have also noticed myself being "watched" sometimes, its ok, does not bother me.

Paranoia has been defined as the "unreasonable fear of persecution". Read any newspaper. Your actions were a far cry from unreasonable.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Links