Alarm went off in middle of the night

This is a discussion on Alarm went off in middle of the night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Leave the safe closed and train to create muscle memory. Practice during day with slide racked back and no mag. Set kitchen timer or smartphone ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Alarm went off in middle of the night

Leave the safe closed and train to create muscle memory. Practice during day with slide racked back and no mag. Set kitchen timer or smartphone for 20+ minutes, then read a book in bed. Relax & don't think about your upcoming training. When it goes off, act accordingly. Do it often to build competence and stay safe

An open safe with a 4 yr old is very dangerous.

2. Remove Ads

Gun safes are for guns that are not in use or that wont possibly be called into use at a moments notice. Whatever you choose as your primary defense weapon for your home should be either within a step or two of you or on you at all times.
    My 45 is never off me until I go to bed at night. Until then its my primary HD gun since its with me no matter where in the house I am. After bedtime the 45 is holstered by the bed and the 12 ga takes over as primary since its right there. Any of the other guns that arent for my wife to get at night are locked up.
    Safes are great for theft protection and child protection but worth squat for HD. If you cant get to your gun before the bad guy gets to you it might as well not be there at all. JMO.
    Bark'n likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Gun safes are for guns that are not in use or that wont possibly be called into use at a moments notice. Whatever you choose as your primary defense weapon for your home should be either within a step or two of you or on you at all times.
    My 45 is never off me until I go to bed at night. Until then its my primary HD gun since its with me no matter where in the house I am. After bedtime the 45 is holstered by the bed and the 12 ga takes over as primary since its right there. Any of the other guns that arent for my wife to get at night are locked up.
    Safes are great for theft protection and child protection but worth squat for HD. If you cant get to your gun before the bad guy gets to you it might as well not be there at all. JMO.
    I agree 100%.

However, an option for the OP may be to get a small "biometric" handgun safe for bedside which scans your finger print to release the lock instead of having to enter a combination or insert a key. Also, you can scan multiple finger prints into the lock, so both you and your wife can have access. Most people will scan and enter the index fingers on each hand so it doesn't matter which hand you use to access the gun. However, the more prints you scan into it's memory, the longer it takes to activate the release (so you may want to refrain from scanning all of your fingers).

But bear in mind (while they are mostly pretty reliable), even those can fail at the "moment of truth", so regardless, you're playing the odds. Will it work when I need it, or not?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I agree 100%.

However, an option for the OP may be to get a small "biometric" handgun safe for bedside which scans your finger print to release the lock instead of having to enter a combination or insert a key. Also, you can scan multiple finger prints into the lock, so both you and your wife can have access. Most people will scan and enter the index fingers on each hand so it doesn't matter which hand you use to access the gun. However, the more prints you scan into it's memory, the longer it takes to activate the release (so you may want to refrain from scanning all of your fingers).

But bear in mind (while they are mostly pretty reliable), even those can fail at the "moment of truth", so regardless, you're playing the odds. Will it work when I need it, or not?
    I hadnt seen a biometric safe, or heard of one so I dont know if they are dependent on the power being on or not. Or battery backup etc. Sounds like a decent option if you are flat out convinced that a gun not in a safe is a danger to your child even if your wearing it or right next to it. Just myself personally when I had children at home one of them was not going to be able to creep to my bedside and get my firearm without my waking but some sleep deeper than others.

I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. I gave up on handgun safes. Most are a false sense of security at best. I had a major branded pin pad safe.

Being a security auditor {it} i have picked my share of locks. I decided to see what the backup lock was. Cheap 2.00 wafer lock.8 seconds with a paper clip. 12 seconds with a plastic piece from my son's toy.

No skill needed just fumbling.

I have my hand guns unloaded stored out of reach.

My carry however stays loaded. In my top drawer. I have made a logic lock. It's basically 2 buttons that have to be pressed at the .same time to open the drawer. One is below the drawer. You have to open the second drawer to access it. The other is on the back of the dresser. You have to reach around the top right side and press jn. The kids can't reach both nor do they know how it works. They are never present when it's open. My carry is on my person when they are awake.

I have tasked all family members to open the drawer none have succeeded.

My engineer brother in law gave up after 15 minutes.

Just my 02 cents. Look at the lock on your safe. The key backup is the weak point.

The setup above list 5 bucks to make using off the shelf parts. I am very confident it's more secure than my previous safe. My Kids also know what guns are and don't like the sound. They have no desire to play with them that i have seen.

The 2 year old does not get it yet but the other one does.

Quote Originally Posted by rssoone View Post
    All I can say is that it startled me so bad that it took me 3 tries to get the handgun safe open in my night stand
    You didn't say WHY it took you 3 tries to access your handgun or what type of safe. Is it Electronic? Biometric? Mechanical?
    Was it something you did like hit the wrong buttons or something like the fingerprint scanner didn't recognize your print?

If it was your error, practice is what it takes like anythig else.

Keep your weapon loaded in a choir at night next to you. Put a door chime or cheap sensor infront of your 4 year olds door. That way the 4 year old won't sneak up on you at night and possibly play with the gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links