Alarm went off in middle of the night

This is a discussion on Alarm went off in middle of the night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All I can say is that it startled me so bad that it took me 3 tries to get the handgun safe open in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Alarm went off in middle of the night

All I can say is that it startled me so bad that it took me 3 tries to get the handgun safe open in my night stand ( I have a 4 yr old so got to have it). My son sleeps on the other side of the house so there was no tactical thought on how i proceeded through the house. I have a tactical flash light and a MP 40C handgun. I went through every room and checked in on him. It ended up being the wind that caused alarm to go off. I just don't know how I could of handled it any differently. It's hard to practice the scenario of the alarm going off and almost making u fall out of bed by the sudden blaring of it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

RS

2. Remove Ads

Happened to me once, too. It's good practice.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Glad it was just the wind. And not the real boogy man in the night. Id call that a good practice drill. Stay safe.

VIP Member
    If it is at all possible to rearrange the sleeping arrangement, do so. A 4 year old is a bit too young to be
    on the other side of the house.

The false alarm is good practice.

Add some inexpensive and independent motion detection alerts and light switches in the house.
    They will help you know if that alarm is the real deal or not.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A good example of how the best battle plan last only until the first bullet whizzes past your ear.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A good example of how the best battle plan last only until the first bullet whizzes past your ear.
    EVen if one ignores the problem caused by the safe, it seems like getting across that house to the kid's room
    is not even close to a move that can be safely made without possibly having to shoot in the direction toward where
    the kid is sleeping.

All the realtors out there will hate me, but if you have small kids you want them near your bedroom. If you have
    teenage kids you don't want them on the other side of the house---especially if they can get in and out without you
    knowing about it.
    mulle46, Bark'n and atctimmy like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Yup..............Loose The Safe.....IMO.

Don't lose the safe. That idea is bad. Keeping guns secured with young kids in the house is very important.

...but you can sleep with it unlocked. That is a good idea. And it is safe for your kids too.

You should also consider how you would secure the house room by room. Now that you have been startled, you are aware of the difficulties of doing this. A similar situation woke me up to the idea.

Put one of those child proof door locks on the drawer the safe is in that way you open the drawer far enough to push the plastic stop down then grab your gun,stop at the door and assess the situation,stumbling around 1/2 awake isn't good for nothing,put a key pad for the alarm in your room so you can shut it off and listen for any movement
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My dogs sometimes bark if the wind starts banging stuff around outside, but they settle down easily, and fairly quickly about false alarms. Saves me having to get up ;) There's a difference in the "I think I heard something" bark, and the "alarm, I know I heard something" bark, and the "I'm going to eat someone for dinner" bark. Definitely better than a regular alarm system.
    Plus, they're kid friendly too!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

OP how long do you think it took for you to get the safe open?

My strongest recommendation would be practicing all the distances in your home and making sure you and wife don't slice around cover already on the targets head or chest, bad idea for home defense. I prefer slicing around corners from the low (45 degrees) ready position in combination of super strict finger down the frame discipline. My wife and I practice these scenarios and if I switch the good guy and family no-shoot targets around on each run she can get confused and shoot one of the kid-targets by accident. By not sweeping people with the muzzle and STRICT finger discipline it seems to prevent killing innocents. I also let my eyes stay used to darkness and only use a light sparingly. The micro streamlight stays around my neck 24x7 and I have a rail light on my bedside gun.

I have motion detectors around my home that each have a unique sound. One alarm wont send me running, but if the driveway or other areas trigger multiple times I can easily determine someone is really around there. I don't trust a door alarm to alert me soon enough, I need to have the porches, driveway, yard, windows covered outdoors. Oddly my dog has learned all the unique sounds assigned to each area which are piano sounds I programmed into the box which is called a "Voice Alert" (see Ebay). We have put an amazing amount of work and practice into defending our home with a priority on specific ambush and funnel points, or kill zones that allow the rounds to not exit to neighbor homes or hot our family sleeping. We have secret code words we can yell that means get the %#@&* down all hell is about to break loose. Wife and I are beginning to think of exercises on coordinated firing too.

Glad everyone is safe! Get the gun safe that uses your hand. It checks your finger imprint to open. I would definitely have a gun safe with a 4 year old. They sell these safes in many places for around $300 I believe. Well worth the price to insure the safety of your family.

Good luck!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

It took me about 10-15 seconds to open it.

I practice a lot with trigger control as far as finger down the frame. I have an alarm pad in the bedroom and did turn it off from there. What I failed to look at was the location of where the alarm came from. Our house is designed where master is on one side and other bedrooms are on the other. It's just not a fun situation to be in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links