Defensive Carry banner

What advice do you have for a teenager in school during an active shooting?

7K views 53 replies 51 participants last post by  foxytwo 
#1 ·
I have 2 teenagers in school. There've been 2 threats in our city since Sandy Hook. One of which actually was arrested and weapons were seized. There aren't enough police to station one at every school and teachers aren't armed. What advice would you give to a teenager in school today in terms of what to do if an active shooter comes to their school?

#33 ·
Took my son lock the door and wedge as many pages of a text book under the space of the door. Stick another one as a ramp. Hell with what the teacher says. Push the desks in front of the door. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR UNLESS IT IS YOUR SISTER. DO NOT CARE WHO IT IS. Grab a fire extinsher and spray powder or liquid in the shooter eyes. Beat them to death with the fire ext.

#34 ·
put teachers desk vertical and against the door. All students desks on their side with the desk tops facing the hallway wall. You want several layers of desks as bullets will go through 3 walls/desktops. Lie on the floor immediately behind the desks so the layers of desktops protect everyone.

#37 ·
This is your advice?? :blink:

This is a serious concern for many people. To make light of it is really not the way to go.

I have seen good advice, tactics and comments. Then there is YOUR comment.
Not funny nor helpful. :nono:

#36 ·
Another weapon that you can consider having in the classroom is a can of wasp/hornet spray. They shoot a stream of nasty about 20 feet very accurately, and I guarantee the attacker will have a world of hurt with a face full of that stuff. Plus, it goes unnoticed by most people, just say you were having a problem with wasps finding their way into the classroom.

#38 ·
I have always looked at the window route when I find myself planning an escape. Find someone that's been to Airborne School to teach the kids how to perform a Parachute Landing Fall! A PLF could help a lot in a second story jump. When done properly one can hit the ground, roll, and be back up running in seconds with no injuries. Most important part....keep the feet sand knees together and slightly bent!

#39 ·
There are too many variables for a 'one size fits all' plan.

The advice I drill into my kids' heads, and my wife's, is first, to do SOMETHING. There is no time for denial. If something's not right, if you see someone with a gun, you hear gun shots, screaming, we are conditioned (in our polite society) to downplay; to assume that it's nothing, it's a prank, or a hoax. Kind of like that guy who just reversed course and headed directly at me in a huge parking lot, he probably has a question or something. If I start yelling or run from him, I'll look like a weirdo. The last thing we want is to look like a paranoid psycho by reacting defensively. That hesitation can be fatal. REACT! The consequences of overreaction in a case like this are minimal. The consequences of hesitation can be grave.

Second, is to consciously break out of societal norms in an emergency. This also does not only apply to mass shootings. If you need to escape, the cost of replacing a broken window cannot be a consideration. The emergency exit you know not to use because it's alarmed. Yeah, it's still there. Can you punch out a ceiling tile, jump on a desk and escape through it? Do it. To use a non school shooting example of this in action, I hear people say all the time that they were "blocked in" on the road by a raging motorist. Your car will go over the curb. Some tire tracks across a median or someone's yard are better than sitting in your car, trying to call 911 while you're beaten. Most of us follow the rules and conduct ourselves in a way that when an emergency occurs, we may not consider reactions that would save our life, because in other circumstances they would constitute vandalism or scare other people.

The recognition that we live in a dangerous world, and the willingness to avoid threats may make it difficult to befriend random strangers one would encounter out in totally uncontrolled environments, if that ever even happens, but it will keep you safe, and minimize your chances of having to face down threats with a weapon, let alone be slaughtered. This is as true in a school shooting as it is for adults like most of us here.

#42 ·
I know for a fact 25 years ago that would have been a viable action at my HS, there were most likely more guns in students cars in the parking lot than in the police station.

You would have heard about a mass defense instead of a mass murder on the news.

Oh how times have changed:hand1:

#47 ·
My advice, learn to duck, weave, serpentine etc, and bug the principal for armed volunteers until he's so sick and tired of hearing it, that he threatens your kid with suspension if he doesnt shut up.

#49 ·
Locking themselves in the bathroom would not be a bad option either. They typically deadbolt from the inside and there are no windows for the shooter to see in. They also aren't well-populated (unless the school food was exceptionally bad that day), so the likelihood of a shooter going into them is minimal.

#50 ·
Tell them to kiss their butts goodbye, at least until they allow teachers/administrators to Conceal Carry in schools. When that happens, they will have a chance .... until then its shooting fish in a barrel.

Not what you want to hear, but way to true unfortunately.

or send them to Sidwell Friends school with Obamas kids.

#51 ·
The research paper I wrote for my criminal investigation class was on Average amount of people who die during active shooter situations, police vs. citizens responses. While doing this paper I came across something interesting. We all know that less people die when citizens shoot back or have guns then waiting for police to handle the shooter. But something most people over look is this.

The active shooter is there to shoot not have a gun battle or hand to hand fight with citizens. In alot of the reports i looked through, as soon as the Active shooter encountered any type of resistance whether from cops, sirens, or citizens, they stopped the attack. I say mostly, some will fight, but for a majority they don't want a fight.

My advice is ALWAYS fight back, any type of possible resistance might stop the attack. off course do it within reason. don't run down a empty hallway towards the threat, but if they come into your room you should stand by the door and be ready to fight with some sort of tool, pens, stapler, etc.

#52 ·
Thanks for the consternation. I wouldnt send them to public school anyway. But my point is, they need security, they needed it before Newtown too...As far as dropping out, if i stayed in school I wouldnt have had the experience to be in a position of owning a successful business at 29, so there's always that too. Nothing wrong with taking a different path

#53 ·
Find cover and pray. That's about all you can do in a gun free zone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.