What advice do you have for a teenager in school during an active shooting? - Page 2

What advice do you have for a teenager in school during an active shooting?

This is a discussion on What advice do you have for a teenager in school during an active shooting? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What advice do you have for a teenager in school during an active shooting?

Attached Images

God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Choose not to be a victim! Fight for your life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Have you considered homeschooling? I was homeschooled as a kid and I know there is alot of opinions about it but think about the safety.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    My son was told not to go with the idiotic plan the school had. He was to get out of the school as fast as he could and keep going. Call 911 to let them know what is gong on and to give a description of himself so they know who he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My advice is to have them throw a chair through a window if they're on the first floor and escape.
    ^^^^^^^..................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is what I have told BOTH my daughters, one a senior in HS, the other is in college.
    A chair and window are your friend.
    I don't care if you are on the second floor or higher, usually there are bushes there to break your fall.
    Hopefully there won't be too many shards of glass to come into contact with when you land.
    Whatever happens to them would most likely be a better alternative than being shot.
    Who gives a damn what the school "plan" is.
    I worry about my 3rd. grader, for he would most likely NOT be able to facilitate throwing a chair out the window, but he was told that if he can open the window and fit out, to bail and run.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    IMHO trying to train young children to respond to an armed intruder in a school would be counterproductive and disrupt the learning process. Parents and school authorities would be better off concentrating on better means to ensure no armed whack-job ever gets past the front door: All exterior doors should be locked from the outside and equipped with crash-bars in case of fire. Security personnel should be stationed at the front door before and after school to protect students as they enter or exit the building. Metal detectors should be part of the entrance equipment with hand scanners for the security people. If possible, the school should be placed on the route of police patrol units with frequent and random presence. Some sort of visual emergency signal, perhaps a blue light, should be fixed in a highly visible location that could be activated like a fire alarm from several locations. Schools, like malls and other public places are extremely difficult to defend without disrupting their purpose. As a retired teacher of 35 yrs. I don't favor arming teachers or students for a plethora of reasons, mainly along the lines of armed security guards in banks. I do think an armed police resource officer is a good idea if the school or district can afford it.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Lockdowns are OK if they are trying to lock the BG OUT. Not so much for an internal threat. I agree with the RUN concept but I would say RUN IN A ZIG ZAG FASHION IF YOU ARE BEING TARGETED. Then there's these (watch the video!):

Active shooters in schools: The enemy is denial

A Parent

Bark'n and Brad426 like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    My son was told not to go with the idiotic plan the school had. He was to get out of the school as fast as he could and keep going. Call 911 to let them know what is gong on and to give a description of himself so they know who he is.
    That's pretty much what I told my daughter, unless there's a sniper or someone outside the people who remain inside are sitting ducks. I also told her if another "threat" occurs to call me and I'll pick her up wherever needed, the school made no effort to notify parents until long after when they sent an e-mail. When I was a kid before cell phones, e mail and texting we had this high tech communication called a phone chain ...

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I have 2 teenagers in school. There've been 2 threats in our city since Sandy Hook. One of which actually was arrested and weapons were seized. There aren't enough police to station one at every school and teachers aren't armed. What advice would you give to a teenager in school today in terms of what to do if an active shooter comes to their school?
    Go to school where our divine leaders two princesses go--they have a whole cadre of armed guards there. Don't ya just luv hypocrisy. Do as I say not as I do--goes for the all the inmates running the asylum previously known as the USA. Sorry to hijack.

Throw things at shooter and rush him during a reload. Must approach from more than one direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

My son had a shooter in his high school and the shooting hit the local news radio within minutes while I was working at home and listening. We panicked as parents and our knees got weak trying to begin mobilizing to respond. At that very moment the garage door began opening and he said he heard a pop and couldn't determine if a firecracker or whatever, so he walked instantly out of the closest exit to the car and left. This son always seemed to have street smarts from the time he could walk. Put me in the "Run Forest Run " category, LOL.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Go to school where our divine leaders two princesses go--they have a whole cadre of armed guards there. Don't ya just luv hypocrisy. Do as I say not as I do--goes for the all the inmates running the asylum previously known as the USA. Sorry to hijack.
    While I agree that this is a bit og hypocrisy; there are more than just O's kids there. Ambassodors kids as well as other national and international leaders kids attend. Yes O's kids of body guards as have every other POTUS kid. While we are at it O has body guards; wonder if he will have them give up the MP 5's, Uzis and M16's when the ban comes?

I know; share whatever it is I'm smoking!

As a teenage in public school your chances of being killed by a shooter are slim to none. You however will face being killed by a drunk driver, killed while driving drunk or in a car full of drunk teens. If not that you will be killed in some other car car crash. If you manage to avoid those your good to go for a bit . You have a much more likely chance of AIDS than you do being shot.
    So turn off the liberal news become a conservative and live a long happy life.
    hogdaddy and thephanatik like this.

VIP Member
    If flight is not a possibility, turn the lights out, lock the door, remain beside it and then, after discharging it in his face, try to mold the fire extinguisher to the shape of the shooter's head as he enters the room.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Botach tactical has a bullet resistant panel for the back of backpacks. It might be something worth considering. At 90 after shipping its a thought.

Hardwire Bodyguard 10x13 Ballistic Panel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links