What advice do you have for a teenager in school during an active shooting?

This is a discussion on What advice do you have for a teenager in school during an active shooting? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have 2 teenagers in school. There've been 2 threats in our city since Sandy Hook. One of which actually was arrested and weapons were ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What advice do you have for a teenager in school during an active shooting?

I have 2 teenagers in school. There've been 2 threats in our city since Sandy Hook. One of which actually was arrested and weapons were seized. There aren't enough police to station one at every school and teachers aren't armed. What advice would you give to a teenager in school today in terms of what to do if an active shooter comes to their school?

They need to have a plan. Right now at work, if someone comes in shooting I'm going to close my door, lock it and kick a hole in the sheetrock to get to the next room and take the elevator upstairs...that's the plan, may work, may not but at least I have one.

They should close the door and try to brace it with something because shooters are not there to open doors and try to get past barriers, they are there to kill as many easy targets as possible, that's all they usually have time for. Screw regular mace, have them throw some bear mace in their backpack (if it's legal at their school), for a hallway situation. If your stuck in the hallway and everyone has locked you out, at least you can mace the shooter and the entire hallway for that matter and then run like hell. If it can stop a bear, then I'm sure the shooter will go into acute respritory failure if you do it properly. Hell, you could even use it if the shooter breaches your door, just light em' up with bear mace.

**Remember, check to see if mace is legal to carry at their school. Some schools/states classify mace as a "dangerious weapon".**

NMB
    I would run my ass off, im not going to go out hiding in a closet. If that means throwing a chair through a window and diving out 2 stories, so be it. Ill survive a broken leg, I may not survive being shot.

Chances are the shooter is untrained, high on adrenaline, and the odds of them hitting a moving target is low.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Run, hide, fight. Get out of there if they can, close and lock doors if the shooter's in a different area, look for cover if available, concealment if not, talk to his buddies about everyone rushing the shooter at once (yes, someone will probably get shot, but not everyone will - same mentality many people developed in response to hijackings after 9/11).
    Last edited by blanco64; December 21st, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
    OldVet and archer51 like this.

My son was told not to go with the idiotic plan the school had. He was to get out of the school as fast as he could and keep going. Call 911 to let them know what is gong on and to give a description of himself so they know who he is.
    RT, noway2, oneshot and 2 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    My advice is to have them throw a chair through a window if they're on the first floor and escape.
    noway2 and oneshot like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Chances are the shooter is untrained, high on adrenaline, and the odds of them hitting a moving target is low.
    That's a great point!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I haven't found lockdown to be effective as many feel. My first priority would be escape, the faster and farther the better. I'll explain to the principal later. Secondly would be "duck and cover." Third, and lastly--Fight back!!! There's not a lot of safety in numbers, but as a last resort--there is a lot of offence.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    We also had an alert on 12-21. I kept my kid home, we had a doctors follow up appointment so we did not go to school today. Last day before the break nothing going on today. My thought would be to get out thru a window and head for the parking lot. Many parked cars you could hide behind. Most cases the shooter is a single person ( not a group ). If it was a group of shooters they could have somebody outside shooting people as they exited the building. That would be a different situation.

I could not agree more with getting out of the school ASAP & call 911. Then urge the school to have armed personnel on site at all times.
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member
    Have them watch this as a start:

Rob has offered to go to the school for free and give a personalized class to the kids.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Have them watch this as a start:

Rob has offered to go to the school for free and give a personalized class to the kids.

The video is good and as Rob mentioned these incidents are incredibly rare. Yes have a plan of action but remember you better have alternate plans because you never know how things will go down. Odds are a student is more likely to get struck by lighting than shot in a school. When you stay in a hotel or on board a airplane you should know where the closest routes of escape are and the same applies to schools.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Our school's plan mainly involves hiding in a corner. I tell my students that if there's a real threat, grab something heavy or sharp and let's be ready to rush anyone coming through the door. Wish I was on the ground floor...

There are around a million schools, and 1 or 2 shooting incidents a year. Teach your kids to study hard like they are in competition with Asian students and nothing short of perfect 100-percent scores are acceptable.

In my day, I carried a gym bag to school and I fabricated a false bottom in it and had a pair of steel nunchackus hidden there and this is probably too much information.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    My son was told not to go with the idiotic plan the school had. He was to get out of the school as fast as he could and keep going. Call 911 to let them know what is gong on and to give a description of himself so they know who he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My advice is to have them throw a chair through a window if they're on the first floor and escape.
    I didn't watch Rob's video, which may cover these points. Both of these posts have the right idea. First and foremost, you need to have a plan. You need to escape and evade. First, secure your immediate are to the extent possible, quickly. Lock the door if you can, put a barrier up infront of it, etc. Then find your exit. Use a chair to break the window if necessary. Get out of the danger zone. Move rapidly and methodically, while paying attention to your surroundings. Do not head in the direction of police or other first responders as they may mistake you for the bad guy and they may be targets of the bad guy. You may encounter school administrators whose duty and goal is to control you and get you to huddle down somewhere and you need to be psychologically prepared to tell someone that you may perceive as an authoritative figure wher to stick it. One you get out, make your way to a predetermined rendezvous point (have multiple) and call for help.
    EastCoastMojo likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links