Scenario: How about a Scenario? - Page 2

Scenario: How about a Scenario?

This is a discussion on Scenario: How about a Scenario? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ......honored to be in such good company, Ms. Betty. Dan...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ......honored to be in such good company, Ms. Betty.

Dan

My thought on this is to hunt for cover once his attention is on the girl. Because he has already pointed a gun at me once, I feel I am justified to pull mine but keep it hidden until needed. If he ends up being a cop, I\'d try to hide my pistol in a pocket or re-holster if his attention is still away from me. If as a cop, his attention is on me, I\'d set the gun down, tell him about my permit and back away from it.
    If he turns out to be a BG, I\'d keep the pistol hidden from his view until it\'s needed.
    I hope never to be in a situation like this but I have a CCW just in case. Also being aware of your surroundings when out is most important.
    heathen

I believe this has been a good exercise to make us alert and to think about situations we come across in real life. Betty and others have good input for sure. I know my analysis will change over the next day or so.

There are some great answershere, Betty is spot on. Most everyone came close. Just remember, there are no answers to any given \"What If \" scenarios.

The above scenario was one handed to me many years ago from a little unknown instructor, and I always thought he was great. His name is Paul Smith, he\'s from Ct., and continues to train to this day.

The scenario was all about a lesson on protecting a third party, as law allows in the state of Ct. You are allowed to protect yourself, and loved ones, and even strangers.

You need to be aware of your surroundings, park away from the entrance door to the store, get out of your vehicle, look around, look in the store...the usual training stuff.

In this case, an armed person walks into the store, and is confronted by not just an armed person, but the gun is now pointing at you...yeah, I\'d say you\'d pee your pants, but auditory exclussion takes over your ability to hear. It is the store cleark with the gun, and he\'s yellig to you to call the police!
    The petite little girl is the bad guy. If you shot the good guy, this petite little thing pulls her gun from the small of her back, and to show gratitude, she shoots you!

Like some stated above, if you don\'t know what you are walking into, don\'t over react.
    The lesson is also to make you aware of your surroundings.
    Don\'t be so quick to jump in and help that third person, unless it is family, or a real, real close friend.

Thanks for the answers,

Art

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    In Ky the law states, that you will be judge on your reasonable perceptions if you are defending yourself.

Examples

SELF DEFENSE: You walk into the store, the (clerk) guy thinking you are another BG, points his gun at you. You think he is the BG and shoot him. You would most likely not be convicted. However you would have to live with killing an innocent the rest of your life. Not to mention what his relatives lawyers would do to you.

DEFENSE OF ANOTHER: You walk into the store, the (clerk) guy points his gun at the girl, and you and you shoot him. You later find out that he was the clerk and the girl was the BG (assuming she doesnt shoot you) You are now criminally liable.

God forbid that any of us ever find ourselves in one of these situations.

Bryan

Goodsamariton, I think that is the whole point to these type of scenarios. We really don\'t want to find ourselves in these situations, and we need to be aware of what is happening around us. Run away whan you can, I won\'t call you a coward, I\'d say you\'re educated.

Since I have been carrying a gun, I have had to let a lot of stuff roll off my back, we all do! Ignore that person that is trying to get a \"rise\" out of you. Laugh to yourself, and walk away.

The confrontations that I had, I did not let esculate. I will always walk away with my tail between my legs, but I will walk away.

chameleon: thanks again for a great scenario.

also, the walking away from anything you can is termed the
    \'Nike Principle\'. Placing one shoe in front of the other in rapid succession away from percieved threat until enough distance and time are gained to re evaluate said threat. Works probably 99.66% of the time.

Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links