This school teacher's response - Page 2

This school teacher's response

This is a discussion on This school teacher's response within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I could remove the underlined section, it merely repeats the paragraph preceding it. Letter in response to the Clarence Bee’s article regarding the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: This school teacher's response

I think I could remove the underlined section, it merely repeats the paragraph preceding it.

Letter in response to the Clarence Bee’s article regarding the incident in Conn.

The Bee is absolutely wrong to state there nothing we can do would stop an incident of this nature and let me reply that there are many ways we can stop this in the future. For the record, I’ve been a teacher since 1996.

In speaking with my colleagues over the past week one way could this tragedy have been stopped in its’ tracks would have been an armed first responder already in the building. This could be in the form of a policeman, armed security detail, or armed and trained staff members. This was painfully evident in the Portland Mall shooting where a civilian with a concealed pistol stopped the shooter from taking more lives just a few weeks ago. Portland Mall Shooter Stopped By Concealed Weapons Carrier*|*American Live Wire There are other ways in which an intruder could be slowed down or perhaps stopped, I’ll bring those up as well. So while the government considers a gun ban that will make some "feel" safe, but cannot hope to deliver on that promise, let’s discuss the real solution on how to prevent one.

Put a police officer in every building. Oh, I can hear the curmudgeon’s of the world complaining about their taxes going up but what is the price of our children’s safety? Would $5 per resident really be too much? If not an active police officer, how about a group of retired cops? They have their pension, perhaps they would take a smaller rate and take turns working shifts on patrol at the schools. If this is too rich for our taxpayers blood, then the superintendents need to band together and request the state change the laws on “gun free zones” (to the criminal=soft targets) and let us hire an armed security detail. In addition, ask for staff to volunteer to undergo strenuous training, require background checks and membership in a shooting range to keep their skills sharp.

If all this talk of armed first responders has the reader up in arms, then at the very least consider some options to slow the would be invader down. First, replace all the plate glass windows with a reinforced type. Second, put pepper spray, Taser guns and a good old can of Wasp spray in the office and teach the staff to use it. Lastly, put a keyed deadbolt on every classroom and a pull down shade over the window. It is actually pretty hard to shoot off a lock and break down a door with a rifle or pistol. And lastly EVERY teacher and EVERY student from age 7 up should see this ACTCert video by Alon Stivi found here : Last Resort ACTIVE SHOOTER SURVIVAL Measures by Alon Stivi - YouTube This video demonstrates how unarmed students and teachers can defend themselves against the unthinkable.

It is time we as a society get real and look within ourselves for the solution. I cannot address the mental health concerns with this article because I have no expertise in this area. The government can legislate all they want to make us “feel” safe but the reality is we have to take care of ourselves.

James Ieda
    Williamsville, NY

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    Thanks, working on it. My area of expertise is definitely not grammar. You've all given me some excellent corrections, thank you.

Jim
    Nor mine. So I'll let others who are more qualified help you out.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

IMHO only trained staff will really be a deterrent with only the trained members knowing who is or isn't carrying,that way a Shooter has no idea what and where he may meet armed resistance,one LEO on premises is too easy for somebody to target and execute before they then take out the unarmed innocents.A breaching shotgun round can effectively remove door locks.bullet resistant glass on entry doors will only work if there are no external windows that the shooter could breach and enter through,slowing them down enough to get several armed staff in position to ambush would be the key
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I didn't want to write about the breaching round in the paper and give anyone ideas. I agree 100% that a cop or guard would be an easy target to take out first but a cop behind a locked door with a radio and back-up trained staff that are completely unknown to the students would make me sleep better at night. I don't know that I'd even qualify but I'd rather try and fail than fail to try.

Jim

I think if I was to volunteer to be an armed security officer in a school, I would rather be in plain clothes, looking just like any other teacher, than in a uniform looking like a target.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    I think if I was to volunteer to be an armed security officer in a school, I would rather be in plain clothes, looking just like any other teacher, than in a uniform looking like a target.
    Plainclothes armed private security. We don't need another TSA type of security.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

My response to the arguement about no tax money for cops in the schools: So you'd rather have our policemen out writing traffic tickets than protecting our children?
    Paymeister likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    A very nice effort. You are almost there. I see nothing wrong with the underlined part but I have changed the sequence of some sentences to better reflect your train of thought.
    I have also changed a word or phrase here and there. I would not recommend wasp spray as it is not proven to work. Try it this way.
    (Here is a link that could reinforce the notion that professionals agree with your point of view:
    Active shooters in schools: The enemy is denial)

Letter in response to the Clarence Bee’s article regarding the incident in Conn.

The Bee is absolutely wrong to state there nothing we can do would stop an incident of this nature and let me reply that there are many ways we can stop this in the future. For the record, I’ve been a teacher since 1996.

In speaking with my colleagues over the past week, one way this tragedy could have been stopped in its tracks would have been an armed first responder already in the building.

That this approach works was clearly evident just a few weeks ago in the Portland Mall shooting where a civilian with a concealed pistol stopped the shooter from taking more lives. Portland Mall Shooter Stopped By Concealed Weapons Carrier*|*American Live Wire

This first responder could be in the form of a policeman, armed security detail, or armed and trained staff members. Put a police officer in every building. Oh, I can hear the curmudgeon’s of the world complaining about their taxes going up but what is the price of our children’s safety? Would $5 per resident really be too much? If not an active police officer, how about a group of retired cops? They have their pension, perhaps they would take a smaller rate and take turns working shifts on patrol at the schools. If this is too rich for our taxpayers blood, then the superintendents need to band together and request the state change the laws on “gun free zones” (to the criminal=soft targets) and let us hire an armed security detail. In addition, ask for staff to volunteer to undergo strenuous training, require background checks and membership in a shooting range to keep their skills sharp.

If all this talk of armed first responders has the reader up in arms, then at the very least consider some options to slow the would be invader down. First, replace all the plate glass windows with a reinforced type. Second, put pepper spray and Taser guns in the office and teach the staff to use them. Lastly, put a keyed deadbolt on every classroom and a pull down shade over the window. It is actually pretty hard to shoot off a lock and break down a door with a rifle or pistol. And lastly EVERY teacher and EVERY student from age 7 up should see this ACTCert video by Alon Stivi found here : Last Resort ACTIVE SHOOTER SURVIVAL Measures by Alon Stivi - YouTube This video demonstrates how unarmed students and teachers can defend themselves against the unthinkable.

It is time we as a society get real and look within ourselves for the solution. I cannot address the mental health concerns with this article because I have no expertise in this area. The government can legislate all they want to make us “feel” safe but the reality is we have to take care of ourselves.

James Ieda
    Williamsville, NY

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    Sounds good. Check "too rich for taxpayers". I wish you the best of luck here but remember this is not about how to protect our kids, it is about a liberalism mentality and politics playing to their base.
    One sentence says it all. Thank you Lindy. I would add that this also is playing to the total government control of our lives that started withLincoln, the original abuser of the constitution, and has continued to this day, where states rights and citizens' rights mean nothing to the federal government---fascism--pure and simple.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    My response to the arguement about no tax money for cops in the schools: So you'd rather have our policemen out writing traffic tickets than protecting our children?
    And the counter argument to that is: which kills more people each year, school shootings or vehicle accidents? Obviously auto accidents. Can you imagine the carnage on the public highways if the threat of a trafffic citation disappeared?

I imagine few school districts have the funds to provide armed security in every level of school. But that doesn't mean it can't happen. Where there's a will, there's a way. It may take time, it may take increased funding, but it could be done. But to expect all school to suddenly have armed security at every door without proper funding is inpractical.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As a fellow WNY'r I thank you for doing something proactive. Too many people think we can't do anything so nobody tries. This country was built by rocking the boat and it's time for some boat rocking.

The most economical way to beef up school security is with armed teachers or trained volunteers, or the threat of them. It would not be expensive at all to have a School Concealed Carry Permit, which would require a higher level of training than just a Concealed Weapon Permit. I was talking with an Instructor yesterday about this very subject. He has been talking with school officials about the training. The school he has been in contact with thinks this is a very good idea that needs moved forward with.

The idiots who do these mass shootings never go to a Police Station and shoot it out with armed Police. They go to a place where no one can fight back.
    Lots of Churches have either paid Armed Security of Volunteers with Concealed Carry Permits protecting them. Having a Sheep Dog among the Sheep has been working for a long time. Normally few know who the armed security personel are.

Where I live it would take half of our City Police and County Deputies combined to put one in every school. That will not work for us, and probably will not work where you live either. Especially if you live in a rural area. Teachers or Volunteers with a School Concealed Carry Permit, Proper Back Ground Checks, Training, etc is a very low cost deterrent to School Violence. A solution that will work combined with a little more thought towards securing the class rooms.

Bob

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well they do go to police stations to shoot it out, but at least the LEOs, while surprised, aren't defenseless.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    My local paper wrote a piece on how the tragedy at Sandy Hook could not have been prevented and basically that there is nothing we can do to stop such things. Really ticked me off so I wrote this in response and before I mail it, wanted to get some of your opinions.

The Bee is absolutely wrong to state there nothing we can do would stop an incident of this nature and let me reply that there are many, many ways we can stop this in the future. For the record, I’ve been a teacher since 1996 and a firearms owner since 2001.

In speaking with my colleagues over the past week, there is only one way could this tragedy have been stopped in its’ tracks. There has to be an armed first responder all ready in the building. This could be in the form of a policeman, armed security detail, or armed and trained staff members. This was painfully evident in the Portland Mall shooting where a civilian with a concealed pistol stopped the shooter from taking more lives just a few weeks ago. There are other ways in which an intruder could be slowed down or perhaps stopped, I’ll bring those up as well. So while the government mulls ideas on how a to make us “feel” safe with a supposed gun ban will prevent such a tragedy, let’s discuss the real solution on how to prevent one.

Put a police officer in every building. Oh, I can hear the curmudgeon’s of the world complaining about their taxes going up but what is the price of our children’s safety? Would $5 per resident really be too much? If not an active police office, how about a group of retired cops? They have their pension, perhaps they would take a smaller rate and take turns working shifts on patrol at the schools. If this is to rich for our taxpayers blood, then the superintendents need to band together and request the state change the laws on “gun free zones” (to the criminal=soft targets) and let us hire an armed security detail. An even less costly option would be to ask for staff to volunteer to undergo strenuous training, require background checks and membership in a shooting range to keep their skills sharp.

If all this talk of armed first responders has the reader up in arms, then at the very least consider some options to slow the would be invader down. First, replace all the plate glass windows in the doors with a reinforced type. Second, put pepper spray, Taser guns and a good old can of Wasp spray in the office and teach the staff to use it. Lastly, put a keyed deadbolt on every classroom and a pull down shade over the window. It is actually pretty hard to shoot off a lock and break down a door with a rifle or pistol. And lastly EVERY teacher and EVERY student from age 7 up should see this ACTCert video by Alon Stivi found here : Last Resort ACTIVE SHOOTER SURVIVAL Measures by Alon Stivi - YouTube
    This video demonstrates how unarmed students and teachers can defend themselves against the unthinkable.

James Ieda
    Williamsville, NY
    Just a brief read over and some things I noticed I changed in red color. Either the grammar is wrong or it is missing a word to make the sentece flow. I can read deeper into this later if you haven't already sent it off or already edited it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links