This school teacher's response

This is a discussion on This school teacher's response within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My local paper wrote a piece on how the tragedy at Sandy Hook could not have been prevented and basically that there is nothing we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: This school teacher's response

This school teacher's response

My local paper wrote a piece on how the tragedy at Sandy Hook could not have been prevented and basically that there is nothing we can do to stop such things. Really ticked me off so I wrote this in response and before I mail it, wanted to get some of your opinions.
    Letter in response to the Clarence Bee’s article regarding the incident in Conn.

The Bee is absolutely wrong to state there nothing we can do would stop an incident of this nature and let me reply that there are many, many ways we can stop this in the future. For the record, I’ve been a teacher since 1996 and a firearms owner since 2001.

In speaking with my colleagues over the past week, there is only one way could this tragedy have been stopped in its’ tracks. There has to be an armed first responder all ready in the building. This could be in the form of a policeman, armed security detail, or armed and trained staff members. This was painfully evident in the Portland Mall shooting where a civilian with a concealed pistol stopped the shooter from taking more lives just a few weeks ago. There are other ways in which an intruder could be slowed down or perhaps stopped, I’ll bring those up as well. So while the government mulls ideas on how a to make us “feel” safe with a supposed gun ban will prevent such a tragedy, let’s discuss the real solution on how to prevent one.

Put a police officer in every building. Oh, I can hear the curmudgeon’s of the world complaining about their taxes going up but what is the price of our children’s safety? Would $5 per resident really be too much? If not an active police office, how about a group of retired cops? They have their pension, perhaps they would take a smaller rate and take turns working shifts on patrol at the schools. If this is to rich for our taxpayers blood, then the superintendents need to band together and request the state change the laws on “gun free zones” (to the criminal=soft targets) and let us hire an armed security detail. An even less costly option would be to ask for staff to volunteer to undergo strenuous training, require background checks and membership in a shooting range to keep their skills sharp.

If all this talk of armed first responders has the reader up in arms, then at the very least consider some options to slow the would be invader down. First, replace all the plate glass windows in the doors with a reinforced type. Second, put pepper spray, Taser guns and a good old can of Wasp spray in the office and teach the staff to use it. Lastly, put a keyed deadbolt on every classroom and a pull down shade over the window. It is actually pretty hard to shoot off a lock and break down a door with a rifle or pistol. And lastly EVERY teacher and EVERY student from age 7 up should see this ACTCert video by Alon Stivi found here : Last Resort ACTIVE SHOOTER SURVIVAL Measures by Alon Stivi - YouTube
    This video demonstrates how unarmed students and teachers can defend themselves against the unthinkable.

It is time we as a society get real and look within ourselves for the solution. I cannot address the mental health concerns with this article because I have no expertise in this area. The government can legislate all they want to make us “feel” safe but the reality is we have to take care of ourselves.

James Ieda
    Williamsville, NY

2. Remove Ads

Sounds good. Check "too rich for taxpayers". I wish you the best of luck here but remember this is not about how to protect our kids, it is about a liberalism mentality and politics playing to their base.
    DRM likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Breaking News ...
    Not again and not here is the attitude of at least one local school district that is beefing up security when students return from Christmas break.

At Spartanburg District 6, an off-duty Sheriff’s Office deputy will be posted at each of the 10 elementary schools when students return on Jan. 10, according to
    Superintendent Darryl Owings.

Our Middle and High Schools already have LEO's on campus but one is inadequate to cover these large schools. A proposition is in the works to allow armed and
    trained staff members with qualifications mandatory. This is up for a vote in the next session. It's a step in the right direction in my opinion.

I applaud your stand and courage to speak out.

hbc
    Thank you for your efforts. Your letter looks good to me.

Fix the typos and send it in.

VIP Member
    Jim - you asked for a critique, here is mine. Please take this as the constructive criticism that it is intended to be. I think you are on the right track and I appreciate your efforts. Here are my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    My local paper wrote a piece on how the tragedy at Sandy Hook could not have been prevented and basically that there is nothing we can do to stop such things. Really ticked me off so I wrote this in response and before I mail it, wanted to get some of your opinions.
    Letter in response to the Clarence Bee’s article regarding the incident in Conn.

The Bee is absolutely wrong to state there nothing we can do would stop an incident of this nature and let me reply that there are many, many ways we can stop this in the future. For the record, I’ve been a teacher since 1996 and a firearms owner since 2001. I would remove the green text as some readers will stop right here when you mention firearms.

In speaking with my colleagues over the past week, there is only one way could this tragedy have been stopped in its’ tracks. While I think I see where you are going, the many, many and only one way appear to be contradictory. There may be many ways to get there in the long run, but your letter is dealing with the here and now. I would rework the first paragraph to conform to this one. There has to be an armed first responder all ready replace with alreadyin the building. This could be in the form of a policeman, armed security detail, or armed and trained staff members. This was painfully evident in the Portland Mall shooting where a civilian with a concealed pistol stopped the shooter from taking more lives just a few weeks ago. Might want to include a link to the story as this has not been widely reported by the MSM. There are other ways in which an intruder could be slowed down or perhaps stopped, I’ll bring those up as well. So while the government mulls ideas on how a to make us “feel” safe with a supposed gun ban will prevent such a tragedy This clause does not flow. It is missing a word. However, the gun ban will not actually make us safer, which I think is what you are trying to say. How about "So while the government considers a gun ban that will make some "feel" safe, but cannot hope to deliver on that promise,, let’s discuss the real solution on how to prevent one.

Put a police officer in every building. Oh, I can hear the curmudgeon’s of the world complaining about their taxes going up but what is the price of our children’s safety? Would $5 per resident really be too much? If not an active police office officer, how about a group of retired cops? They have their pension, perhaps they would take a smaller rate and take turns working shifts on patrol at the schools. If this is to toorich for our taxpayers blood, then the superintendents need to band together and request the state change the laws on “gun free zones” (to the criminal=soft targets) and let us hire an armed security detail. This is not an either/or, but a both/and An even less costly option would be to ask for staff to volunteer to undergo strenuous training, require background checks and membership in a shooting range to keep their skills sharp.

If all this talk of armed first responders has the reader up in arms, then at the very least consider some options to slow the would be invader down. First, replace all the plate glass windows in the doors and windows with a reinforced type. Second, put pepper spray, Taser guns and a good old can of Wasp spray in the office and teach the staff to use it. Lastly, put a keyed deadbolt on every classroom and a pull down shade over the window. It is actually pretty hard to shoot off a lock and break down a door with a rifle or pistol. And lastly EVERY teacher and EVERY student from age 7 up should see this ACTCert video by Alon Stivi found here : Last Resort ACTIVE SHOOTER SURVIVAL Measures by Alon Stivi - YouTube
    This video demonstrates how unarmed students and teachers can defend themselves against the unthinkable.

It is time we as a society get real and look within ourselves for the solution. I cannot address the mental health concerns with this article because I have no expertise in this area. The government can legislate all they want to make us “feel” safe but the reality is we have to take care of ourselves. In the editing screen, you have an extra space at the front of this paragraph. Might want to check your original.

James Ieda
    Williamsville, NY
    Regoria75 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    You are likely to be trying to teach a pig to sing, but I applaud your efforts.

I was a science teacher in a public high school in Southern California for 13 years and fully support what you wrote. I would have been happy to step up for training and carrying. If I didn't work full-time I would offer my services at the local district where I now live, too.

Not that I expect anything would come of it - I do understand school administrator's CYA decision-making - but I would offer.

VIP Member
    Thanks for responding with your letter, especially that you're a teacher. Not much for me to add, other than before you send it, check out the articles in these two links. Good information and ideas here that you might be able to include or refer to?

Active shooters in schools: The enemy is denial

A principal and his gun
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

From a post earlier this week by member BugDude (emphasis mine):

I then said, "If the President was serious about making meaningful change, he would personally lead the charge and he would invite the NRA to the table. If we want to really make a difference, let me ask you a question. As a society, how do we protect our money? Armed security. How do we protect our Politicians? Armed security. Why should or kids in our schools be any different? They [evil people] choose schools because they know there will be no armed resistance. And when it does show up, they off themselves. Harden up our school grounds and buildings and require by law armed security on the premises. That's the only thing that has any chance of effectively changing these events. If armed security is good enough for the President and the other anti-gun politicians, then why are they against it for our kids? You don't send a fireman to a fire without a hose or extinguisher. If you did, all he could do is stand there and say 'what a shame.' Evil exists in this world and we can't legislate it out of existence. Pretending it won't come in a school because we have banned black rifles and long magazines is crazy. If we are going to invest the time, effort, and energy to go down this road, let's make the trip worth it."
    Miamieddie likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

ksholder, thank you! I'm working on the corrections. I typed it rather quickly and posted to get exactly the feedback you mentioned. Here is a revised edition, with your suggestions added:

The Bee is absolutely wrong to state there nothing we can do would stop an incident of this nature and let me reply that there are many ways we can stop this in the future. For the record, I’ve been a teacher since 1996.

In speaking with my colleagues over the past week one way could this tragedy have been stopped in its’ tracks would have been an armed first responder already in the building. This could be in the form of a policeman, armed security detail, or armed and trained staff members. This was painfully evident in the Portland Mall shooting where a civilian with a concealed pistol stopped the shooter from taking more lives just a few weeks ago. http://americanlivewire.com/new-deta...apons-carrier/ There are other ways in which an intruder could be slowed down or perhaps stopped, I’ll bring those up as well. So while the government considers a gun ban that will make some "feel" safe, but cannot hope to deliver on that promise, let’s discuss the real solution on how to prevent one.

Put a police officer in every building. Oh, I can hear the curmudgeon’s of the world complaining about their taxes going up but what is the price of our children’s safety? Would $5 per resident really be too much? If not an active police officer, how about a group of retired cops? They have their pension, perhaps they would take a smaller rate and take turns working shifts on patrol at the schools. If this is too rich for our taxpayers blood, then the superintendents need to band together and request the state change the laws on “gun free zones” (to the criminal=soft targets) and let us hire an armed security detail. In addition, ask for staff to volunteer to undergo strenuous training, require background checks and membership in a shooting range to keep their skills sharp.

If all this talk of armed first responders has the reader up in arms, then at the very least consider some options to slow the would be invader down. First, replace all the plate glass windows with a reinforced type. Second, put pepper spray, Taser guns and a good old can of Wasp spray in the office and teach the staff to use it. Lastly, put a keyed deadbolt on every classroom and a pull down shade over the window. It is actually pretty hard to shoot off a lock and break down a door with a rifle or pistol. And lastly EVERY teacher and EVERY student from age 7 up should see this ACTCert video by Alon Stivi found here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2tIeRUbRHw This video demonstrates how unarmed students and teachers can defend themselves against the unthinkable.

It is time we as a society get real and look within ourselves for the solution. I cannot address the mental health concerns with this article because I have no expertise in this area. The government can legislate all they want to make us “feel” safe but the reality is we have to take care of ourselves.

James Ieda
    Williamsville, NY

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well, they will for sure bring up the "There's no money in the budget" argument, but that's nothing new. Yes, entrances can be hardened (remember the glass that had wire mesh inside?) to slow a determined criminal down and more secure entry and classromm doors are conceiveable. I don't know that all incidents like this can be stopped, but they sure can be minimalized.

Grammar/punctuation checker here:
    this tragedy have been stopped in [its] tracks

So while the government mulls ideas on how a to make us “feel” safe with a supposed gun ban [to] prevent such a tragedy,

Oh, I can hear the curmudgeon’s of the world complaining about their taxes going up[,] but what is the price of our children’s safety?

If this is [too] rich for our taxpayers blood

The government can legislate all they want to make us “feel” safe[,] but the reality is we have to take care of ourselves.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am visiting in Santa Rosa, CA this week and the response from the schools to the NRAs proposal is their schools are safe.

You might want to take a few moments to consult with a qualified English teacher and have him/her help you with making the necessary corrections to all of your spelling and grammatical errors prior to sending in your letter.

I'm not knocking the substance of your letter, just the lack of the use of proper English. As a reader, I would expect any letter written by an educator to be flawless.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Thanks, working on it. My area of expertise is definitely not grammar. You've all given me some excellent corrections, thank you.

Jim

The letter looks good. I agree with your view. I don't think any of the liberals will consider it. Afterall, they think evil can be legislated out of existance.

But good luck to you with this. Maybe a miracle will happen.
    USN Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links