Response time, home burglary in process, man shot

This is a discussion on Response time, home burglary in process, man shot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Happened in Amarillo earlier this week. According to the newspaper, a couple arrived at their home to find two men inside. Very few details, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Response time, home burglary in process, man shot

Distinguished Member

Happened in Amarillo earlier this week. According to the newspaper, a couple arrived at their home to find two men inside. Very few details, but one man shot dead inside, and the male homeowner wounded. The female called 911 and reported the shooting and one wounded. Police response time to scene 10 minutes. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Stay armed my friends.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I could have gone to the store and been back......in 10 minutes.
    JaxRolo likes this.

VIP Member
    One day when I was driving I got a call on my cellphone. It was the alarm company calling to notify me of an alarm at my house and to inform me that the police have been notified (note: police were notified before I was notified).

I was about 8 miles away. I rushed home, searched the perimeter, so no visible signs of forced entry anywhere, the window that we go the alarm on was untouched. I enter the house and cleared the entire house including the attic. I made sure all entry points were secure. Thankfully it was a false alarm. I set the alarm and left.

On my way out of the community I noticed a police car going through the entrance to our community and I thought that it might be a good idea to go back home and greet the officer and notify him that his services were not needed at this time since I had already responded, checked the perimeter and cleared the house.

As a result of that incident, I bought more guns and more ammo.
    bm303, MASSIVE, Poseidon and 1 others like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If you weren't there when the alarm went off, what's the point of more guns and ammo? More for the BGs to get before anyone responds?
    oakchas likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you weren't there when the alarm went off, what's the point of more guns and ammo? More for the BGs to get before anyone responds?
    Having more guns and more ammo will enable me to continue fighting for a longer period of time which I would clearly have to do since the police response time is so slow. If I was home and this was an actual home invasion with armed intruders that were intent on doing harm to me and my family, one more gun or one more bullet just might be the difference between the police finding our bodies and me having to explain the dead bodies to the police officers when they finally shows up.

Here is something you can do to put this into perspective. Time yourself and see how long it takes you to do the following:

Drive 8 miles from your house (or find a location that meets the following criteria and drive for 8 miles).
    Start driving away from your house.
    Start timer.
    Continue driving in the same direction until you reach a location where you can legally maneuver your vehicle so that you can start heading back towards your home.
    On the way back do not speed, do not violate any traffic laws.
    Drive through a busy shopping district where the road has 3 lanes in either direction with multiple intersections.
    10 of those intersections are controlled by traffic lights. In-between the traffic lights are multiple intersections where cars can and do pull out of parking lots and cross over three lanes of traffic to make left hand turns (this happens on both sides of the road).
    Drive through 2 more intersections controlled by traffic lights.
    Drive through 3 intersection where you have a stop sign.
    Stop the timer after you have done all this and traveled 8 miles.
    Record the time.

At home:
    Start timer.
    Check exterior of home by visually inspecting all windows and doors.
    Check exterior of 30' x 60' out building by visually inspecting all windows and doors.
    Enter house.
    Clear the entire house including the attic.
    Physically check every door and window to make sure they are all secured and locked.
    Go to your kitchen.
    Drink some water and wipe the sweat of your brow because it is also about 100 degrees outside.
    Go to your bathroom and take off your shirt.
    Wash up.
    Dry yourself.
    Comb your hair.
    Apply deodorant.
    Go to your closet.
    When you get there, take a moment or two to choose a suitable shirt to wear to a casual but nice restaurant where you will be having dinner with some friends (remember that you no longer have access to first shirt you would normally choose because you just took that one off).
    Put your shirt on.
    Go to the kitchen.
    Drink some more water.
    Set the alarm.
    Open the garage door.
    Exit the house through the garage.
    Close garage door and wait for it to go down.
    Get in your car.
    Drive about 3 1/2 blocks away.
    Stop at 2 intersections controlled by stop signs.
    Turn around and drive back home stopping at one stop sign on the way.
    Park your car in the driveway.
    Get out and walk over to your mailbox (this will simulate greeting the officer).
    Tell the mailbox your name and address so the mailbox knows who you are.
    Have a conversation with your mailbox and tell your mailbox about inspecting the perimeter and that you already cleared the interior of the house.
    The next part might be a little difficult for you to do...
    Take your mailbox on tour of the exterior of your house and your out building.
    Stop the timer.
    Record the time.

Add the two times together (feel free to use a calculator).
    goldmaster likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member
    I'd hate to see what the response time would be if there was just a "suspicious character outside looking in.
    Wow.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I had a police friend that was on the Allen County Police Department, I say was a friend because he and his family moved to New Hampshire, and he told me that if people were depending upon the police to save them from a violent attack, then their in trouble. The police can only respond so quickly...common sense.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

1MoreGoodGuy, Wow! That was a lot. So how long did it take altogether? I'm guessing 30-40 minutes.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

I wonder how long it would have taken them to drive to the closest donut shop pick up a Police office and bring him back to their home.
    atctimmy and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueHawk76 View Post
    1MoreGoodGuy, Wow! That was a lot. So how long did it take altogether? I'm guessing 30-40 minutes.
    It was about 38 minutes from the time I got the call from the security company to the time when the officer arrived at the house.

Aside from getting more guns and more ammo the other good thing that came out of all this was that I know for sure that I can clear my house quickly and efficiently while under stress.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Im always looking for a way to justify more guns and ammo.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    It is not a mistake that the old adage about "seconds away/minutes away" exists. Depending on where you live, police cannot be everywhere all the time and distance means time. With time comes that fact that the police are there to "investigate" and not to "protect" unless of course you are one of our vaunted leaders who has the secret service or state police guarding you whenever and whereever--ya know, the leaders who really care about you but go off on their own merry way fully protected and fully covered with health insurance and medical benefits. If you are home or entering your home and there is a felony taking place, you are on your own--period/end of story. As a citizen, you are also on your own should this fascist wannabe government we currently have decides to control you with force of law or just brute force--this is where this so-called gun control comes into play. I venture to say that the 100,000 petitions the whitehouse received, literally on the eve of the Newtown shooting, is a pimple on the back of an elephant compared to the petitions they could have received from the 40 or 50 million hunters and gun owners in this country, but fascism is coming if not already here and it requires control including gun control. As oldnfat says--"stay armed my friends" (even if they want to disarm you).

The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

People really have unreasonable expectations when it comes to police response time. Calls are prioritized by level of apparent severity, not by the order they come in. The huge majority of alarms are false, in my experience between 90-95%, so they get bumped down on the list. In addition, the number of officers working at any given time is going to be pretty small as compared to the overall size of the department, a 100 officer department might have between 8 and 12 patrol officers working at any given time. I worked for a county police department for a while that had anywhere between 4-10 officers working at any given time, depending on the shift, and we had a population of around 100,000 and 740 square miles to cover. Our department was at least twice the size of every county that surrounded us. Our average response time to a call was 25 minutes, and I can recall multiple times responding to emergency calls and it taking 30-45 minutes to get there running lights and siren.

Anyone who claims that the police can provide adequate protection for anyone, including themselves, is either woefully misinformed about the realities of law enforcement or is trying to sell an agenda.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    One day when I was driving I got a call on my cellphone. It was the alarm company calling to notify me of an alarm at my house and to inform me that the police have been notified (note: police were notified before I was notified).

I was about 8 miles away. I rushed home, searched the perimeter, so no visible signs of forced entry anywhere, the window that we go the alarm on was untouched. I enter the house and cleared the entire house including the attic. I made sure all entry points were secure. Thankfully it was a false alarm. I set the alarm and left.

On my way out of the community I noticed a police car going through the entrance to our community and I thought that it might be a good idea to go back home and greet the officer and notify him that his services were not needed at this time since I had already responded, checked the perimeter and cleared the house.

As a result of that incident, I bought more guns and more ammo.
    Good way to get shot by an LEO that is answering an alarm,we used to park several houses down and walk in quiet and looking for any threats,had we run into a guy with a gun,weeeeellll
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links