Saw man crossing pull a gun against a car

This is a discussion on Saw man crossing pull a gun against a car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What about the 'duty to retreat' argument?!?!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Saw man crossing pull a gun against a car

What about the 'duty to retreat' argument?!?!
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    What about the 'duty to retreat' argument?!?!
    If your retreat requires you run faster then 30 miles an hour I think your exempt
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In our town there's some guy who has (what I assume is a mock) a .50 BMG mounted in the back of a camouflage painted pick-up truck.

NOBODY cuts him off.

At what point are we supposed to determine self defense is a lost cause and unjustifi

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Re: Saw man crossing pull a gun against a car
    Originally Posted by Maximpactguns
    Okay before I get crucified here I like to look at things from a different perspective. Here is more of a question and I by NO means know the laws in regards to this but doesn't a pedestrian have the right of way? And if say perhaps he was in the right of way, the speeder then if he did not stop would have been charged with vehicular manslaughter or a hit and run right? So the old man pulling out his "ol trusty" may have saved his own butt right? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong in any way. I'm not supportive of either party but just looking at it in a different way.
    I doubt he could have saved himself by shooting the guy. If it were that close, he'd just get run over anyway. I can't see any justification.
    So if you know your going to get shot/run over your not justified in defending yourself???

You can't yank a gun over every grievance or to get your own way. If you're not stable enough to control your temper, don't carry. Guy was brandishing and should be punished.

If I flashed my pistol everytime some rude little twit irritated me I'd have tennis elbow...
    Truckinbutch and tundra like this.

The punk was a loser for not stopping for the gentelmen and allowing him the right of way, and the gentelmen was no gentelmen after all; fail, fail on both accounts. Both are lucky AH's and should have learned something from the encounter, but probably didn't and we'll read, or hear about um somewhere down the road.
    oneshot likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    So if you know your going to get shot/run over your not justified in defending yourself???
    Get over the rhetoric in the original thread and kindly listen to yourself when it comes to this story. HE WAS NOT ABOUT TO BE SHOT AND HE WAS NOT ABOUT TO BE RUN OVER. So a driver was a jerk and gave the old guy a hard time trying to cross the street (nothing said about whether he was crossing where he should not have been crossing, by the way)--IMMINENT THREAT? JUSTIFIED IN DEFENDING YOURSELF? Kindly reread your state's gun laws and reexamine your priorities and responsibilities if you are walking around CC.

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    It's not defending yourself if it can make no difference in the outcome of the situation. To take it to an extreme, imagine pulling a gun on the engineer of a train to prevent being run over by it. Trains can take miles to stop, it's way too late at that point. There's no reason to shoot the engineer whether it's his fault or not. Same thing here, if that were the case, but it sounds like it wasn't. Anyway, I think a stern look was called for here, not drawing down.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "It's not defending yourself if it can make no difference in the outcome of the situation."

So we make a jump to stopping a train? Really? I'm in no way trying to justify the old guy's actions, but even if trying to protect myself will make no difference in the outcome, I at least want the points for trying!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So we make a jump to stopping a train? Really? I'm in no way trying to justify the old guy's actions, but even if trying to protect myself will make no difference in the outcome, I atleast want the points for trying!
    It's just to illustrate the point. If you're about to be run over, shooting the driver will not help. It might even hurt.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And I don't think the old guy's point was to stop a speeding car, only to threaten what he saw as a young punk with no respect for his elders.Making extreme points typically doesn't change, only cements the original ones.

So back to the OP, old guy threatens lethal force against a rude and inconsiderate driver, just what is your point?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In Fl we have all sorts of ridiculous killings. One old fool, a jamaican, shot a father because his kid was skateboarding at a park. Another geezer shot a father in the back of the head over road rage.

It's not about color, or race, or age ..... It's all about silly ass clowns with anger issues. That old toddler in publix should have his guns taken away.

What if you look at it from the drivers point of view. Is he legally allowed to run down someone trying to kill him with a gun. The old mans life was obviously in no more danger than the kid who had a gun pointed at his head. The old man didnt die so the driver was definitely not trying to run him over. the old man should not be allowed to carry a gun, he is not responsible and controlled enough.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links